What exactly is Baptism of Desire? Isn't it an Act of Contrition.
Dear Fishies, this is a two part question on Baptism of Desire, Acts of Contrition, Explicit Faith in Jesus Christ etc.

1: What exactly is Baptism of Desire? Isn't it an Act of Perfect Love of God, or of Contrition? That's how the Catechism of Pope St. Pius X appears to define it, when the Holy Father teaches us: "16 Q. Is Baptism necessary to salvation?
A. Baptism is absolutely necessary to salvation, for our Lord has expressly said: "Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God."

17 Q. Can the absence of Baptism be supplied in any other way?
A. The absence of Baptism can be supplied by martyrdom, which is called Baptism of Blood, or by an act of perfect love of God, or of contrition, along with the desire, at least implicit, of Baptism, and this is called Baptism of Desire."

From: https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/library...ius-x-1286

My doubt is that some writers seem to refer to it as merely "doing the will of God" or even just wanting to do it: which seems to reduce the supernatural to the natural, and the difficult to the easy. Why? Because everyone knows, even for lifelong Catholics, who have all Sacramental Helps, who have received Holy Baptism, Confirmation, Confession and Communion probably hundreds or thousands of times, and have completely accurate catechetical instruction without error, making an Act of Contrition is still very difficult. Therefore, a fortiori, making an Act of Contrition would necessarily be even more difficult for non-Catholics, right? And thus the necessity of Baptism and Penance can successfully or more easily be maintained. But what if just wishing to do the will of God becomes salvific? Doesn't it seem to lead to universal salvation? Most theologians teach a mere natural desire alone does not suffice to receive Baptism of Desire.

2. Most of the older theologians, who after Trent unanimously teach Baptism of Desire, still mention the Explicit-Implicit Faith question as a disputed issue. Specifically, it is disputed whether, (1) Explicit Faith in Christ is necessary for the salvation of all, after the promulgation of the Gospel, even if implicit faith may suffice for justification. Doctors like St. Thomas and St. Alphonsus seem to hold this view. (2) Explicit faith in Christ is necessary both for initial justification and for salvation. (3) Explicit faith in Christ is not necessary either for salvation or for justification. Cardinal Lugo hiimself held this latter view.

See: "Cardinal Juan de Lugo SJ (1583-1660) in his treatise “De Virtute Fidei Divinae” (On the Virtue of Divine Faith) lists three opinions on the necessity of explicit faith in the Trinity and the Incarnation that were defended by Catholic theologians:

1. It’s necessary for salvation, but not for initial justification.
2. It’s necessary both for initial justification and for salvation.
3. It’s necessary neither for initial justification nor for salvation."

As per: https://exlaodicea.wordpress.com/2017/01...-redeemer/

St. Alphonsus in a similar manner, in his Moral Theology, presents the question "Is Explicit Faith in the Trinity and Incarnation necessary as a means or a precept"? as a disputed issue, though himself siding with the first i.e. it is a necessary means of salvation. St. Alphonsus is also quoted on that website, in the main article, and St. Alphonsus says God will send a preacher to someone who seeks the Faith: "God, at least remotely, gives to [non-Christians], who have the use of reason, sufficient grace to obtain salvation, and this grace consists in a certain instruction of the mind, and in a movement of the will, to observe the natural law; and if the infidel cooperates with this movement, observing the precepts of the law of nature, and abstaining from grievous sins, he will certainly receive, through the merits of Jesus Christ, the grace proximately sufficient to embrace the Faith, and save his soul.” (The History of Heresies, Refutation 6, #11)

So who is right here? Is Explicit Faith in Jesus Christ needed? St. Alphonsus and St. Thomas say that it is; while lesser theologians disagree with them.

Thoughts?
"My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your Most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby offer my whole life to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Together with my life, I place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices, and the sufferings of my entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father and Priests ..."

https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/