Looking for a Clementine Vulgate
I would like to find a nice copy of the Clementine Vulgate sine D-R translation. Does anyone know of any that are available?
"O Charles the Great, we beseech you to make that day arrive soon when society, re-established at its foundations, will cease asking liberty and order from the revolutions."
Prayer to Charlemagne the Great (de confirmatione cultus), by Dom Prosper Guéranger
(04-08-2021, 10:11 AM)IudicaMe Wrote: I would like to find a nice copy of the Clementine Vulgate sine D-R translation. Does anyone know of any that are available?

Some time ago I wrote a short article listing all possibilities, you can read it here
I recommend Madrid Clementine, available from American Classical League, link in the article above.

I own several Latin Bibles, so if you have questions, feel free to ask.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PangeLingua's post:
  • IudicaMe
(04-09-2021, 12:51 PM)PangeLingua Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 10:11 AM)IudicaMe Wrote: I would like to find a nice copy of the Clementine Vulgate sine D-R translation. Does anyone know of any that are available?

Some time ago I wrote a short article listing all possibilities, you can read it here
I recommend Madrid Clementine, available from American Classical League, link in the article above.

Gratias tibi!
"O Charles the Great, we beseech you to make that day arrive soon when society, re-established at its foundations, will cease asking liberty and order from the revolutions."
Prayer to Charlemagne the Great (de confirmatione cultus), by Dom Prosper Guéranger
This is a nice bible a little pricey but has the DR and Clementine Vulgate side by side.

https://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?w...#tab=tab-1
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
Smile 
(04-10-2021, 03:04 AM)SeeTheLight Wrote: This is a nice bible a little pricey but has the DR and Clementine Vulgate side by side.

https://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=50#tab=tab-1

It really depends on what one wants to achieve.

If somebody wants to improve Latin reading skills, it is certainly much better to read Latin, not English :-)

When you have the translation available on the opposite page, and you encounter a more difficult fragment in the Latin test, you will be tempted to simply read the translation - and this is precisely what you want to avoid at all costs. Personally I do not have strong enough will to resist such temptations, therefore I avoid books with side-by-side translation like a plague.

You have to learn how to handle difficult fragments by parsing them on your own - there is no other way.
(04-09-2021, 12:51 PM)PangeLingua Wrote:

I concur, the Madrid Clementine is the really the best option out there for a complete Clementine Vulgate bible with all of the 'bells and whistles' (introductions, cross references, etc...)
Used copies can be found on eBay or Abebooks if you don't want to spend $80 on a new one.

I do offer a simple 'text only' edition that is more affordable. I have a standard and large size, both offered in hard or soft cover.

I made a pledge to myself that I would not use my membership here to advertise my own publications, but at the same time I don't want to deny help to someone looking for a particular book or resource that I might coincidentally offer. Using prudence I offer you these links:

Clementine Vulgate

I have several copies on hand, available on eBay
Member- St. Maximilian Kolbe's Militia of the Immaculata
Latin Mass every Sunday/Holy Day
Owner of www.churchlatin.com
(04-10-2021, 04:52 PM)PangeLingua Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 03:04 AM)SeeTheLight Wrote: This is a nice bible a little pricey but has the DR and Clementine Vulgate side by side.

https://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=50#tab=tab-1

It really depends on what one wants to achieve.

If somebody wants to improve Latin reading skills, it is certainly much better to read Latin, not English :-)

When you have the translation available on the opposite page, and you encounter a more difficult fragment in the Latin test, you will be tempted to simply read the translation - and this is precisely what you want to avoid at all costs. Personally I do not have strong enough will to resist such temptations, therefore I avoid books with side-by-side translation like a plague.

You have to learn how to handle difficult fragments by parsing them on your own - there is no other way.

I appreciate your input and knowledge however I own this bible and love it. I admit I am not fluent in latin but I have little doubt I'll have no problem getting a grasp with this edition. I guess I learn things different from other folks. Either way it was a suggestion and one I thought would be a good one. God Bless.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio