Overcoming vainglory and attitudes towards the world in general
(04-09-2021, 04:18 PM)ServusDei Wrote: I think too much you are considering only what's bad in the world, and considering the world as a whole, instead of a personal basis.

I deal with many people throughout the course of each day. I'm the only Catholic. Yet these people are decent, honest, caring, and for the most part, trying to lead good lives. There's a lot to love. They're human. We're human. We have a common bond. I love them each, individually, for who they are.

The world is full of people. Everyone has a story. Everyone started somewhere. Some people are in bad places. Some through some fault of their own. Some through no fault of their own. We're not perfect either. We need confession.

I think a big problem with modernity is social isolation. COVID has done a lot to exascerbate that. The world, and our communities, mental health, and outlook, would be so much better if we'd go out and actually meet people, form new bonds, and strengthen the human ties that hold us all together.

We are all made in His Image and Likeness. God is in our neighbor. Find the good in people, and hang on to that. God is Good. He's all we need.
I love them. But I hate the LIES that the world espouses. People may be nice, but the lies they tell...are putrid to me. It is like I see that 2+2=4. You CANNOT...un-see it, you cannot ignore it, it is there whether you want it or not. Yet...people tell you that 2+2=7, or 34, or, 89, or that it does even exist, or that it does not matter. I love people...but lies...I can't stomach.

This can be summed up by my view of Protestantism...it is a fever dream, the idea that they all can be right yet disagree. There is a Mormon temple a a few towns away from where I live. I hate it. I hate that it is allowed. The people may be nice...but that statue on the top... what is it "Moron"? THAT...is absolute heresy. I have dreamed of damaging that stupid statue until it shatters it to pieces. I hate lies...
(04-09-2021, 04:41 PM)Anon777 Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 04:03 PM)AlanK82 Wrote: Venerable Fulton Sheen:

http://www.northamericanmartyrs.org/pdf/...erance.pdf
THIS....THIS sums it up nicely what I am saying. I cannot stand the tolerance of the lies and falsehoods the world offers.  I cannot stomach the insane DELUSIONS that plague modern society. Transhumanism...transgenderism...marxism...anarchism...hedonism/sadism...ALL OF IT.... APPALLS me. Lies...I hate lies. It is an OFFENSE...to God. 

This scene describes my attitudes towards the 'world'.

I completely agree. And we should hate sin as God hates sin, therefore, a culture that promotes and thrives on sin deserves to be hated. Yet, we need to remember to love our brothers and sisters that are completely blinded by sin and understand that they themselves have been deceived into pursuing false goods. Therefore, while it's easy to ask God to hit the reset button, we can still reflect that things today are still not as depraved as they were in Rome or Babylon or Carthage and know by that proof there are means given to us by Christ and His Church to bring people out of the darkness of sin.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Anon777
(04-09-2021, 04:16 PM)Filiolus Wrote: My two cents - stop worrying so much about the big picture. You have no control over it. Spend your energy growing in virtue, and in loving those around you. Fulfill your duties in life, and leave the rest up to God.
I do worry a lot yes. : /

THIS....THIS sums it up nicely what I am saying. I cannot stand the tolerance of the lies and falsehoods the world offers.  I cannot stomach the insane DELUSIONS that plague modern society. Transhumanism...transgenderism...marxism...anarchism...hedonism/sadism...ALL OF IT.... APPALLS me. Lies...I hate lies. It is an OFFENSE...to God. 

It appalls us all, believe me. Living in a dying civilization isn't fun. However, don't forget that you still have to live in this world so it's a good idea to make peace with that. I don't mean that you should accept their errors as truth. Christian societies held a small amount of tolerance of other religions in their borders; this wasn't a tolerance of their errors, but merely a tolerance of their presence for the sake of hospitality and respect for human life. Like was said earlier, mere tolerance isn't acceptance.

Even the apostles were taught to be obedient to the laws of Caesar in terms of his earthly authority. Ironically if such a lesson had been taken to heart by more in the past we wouldn't be nearly so badly off today.

On a side note, I usually avoid getting into shows involving religion these days but that clip convinced me to finally watch that series.
With no king to rule me I owe my fealty only to God.
[-] The following 2 users Like HedgeKnight's post:
  • Anon777, PilgrimMichelangelo
(04-09-2021, 04:56 PM)Augustinian Wrote:

I completely agree. And we should hate sin as God hates sin, therefore, a culture that promotes and thrives on sin deserves to be hated. Yet, we need to remember to love our brothers and sisters that are completely blinded by sin and understand that they themselves have been deceived into pursuing false goods. Therefore, while it's easy to ask God to hit the reset button, we can still reflect that things today are still not as depraved as they were in Rome or Babylon or Carthage and know by that proof there are means given to us by Christ and His Church to bring people out of the darkness of sin.
It often seems no one will listen, because I will sound evil no matter what I say, 'tolerance' is that seductive. I also was asked in that same conversation, in regards to humility, what I THOUGHT it was, rather than what it IS. and being autistic, I can barely explain things as it is. and I feel that I am failing God by not explaining to people. How do you evangelize to people who oppose any notion of 'intolerance' "Oh I am sorry I do not believe anyone outside the faith is saved" No matter what I say, I will be seen as evil and wicked and discredited simply for being intolerant.

I WANT to spread the truth...BUT who will listen when 'tolerance' makes even the idea of people being damned for not believing discreditable. no matter what I say, I will be seen as evil. : /
(04-09-2021, 05:05 PM)HedgeKnight Wrote:

It appalls us all, believe me. Living in a dying civilization isn't fun. However, don't forget that you still have to live in this world so it's a good idea to make peace with that. I don't mean that you should accept their errors as truth. Christian societies held a small amount of tolerance of other religions in their borders; this wasn't a tolerance of their errors, but merely a tolerance of their presence for the sake of hospitality and respect for human life. Like was said earlier, mere tolerance isn't acceptance.

Even the apostles were taught to be obedient to the laws of Caesar in terms of his earthly authority. Ironically if such a lesson had been taken to heart by more in the past we wouldn't be nearly so badly off today.

On a side note, I usually avoid getting into shows involving religion these days but that clip convinced me to finally watch that series.
I would not watch it, because it is ideological poison. It is an archie bunker scenario, where the 'bad guy' (Pope Pius XIII) is actually seen as a good guy. The second season was NUKED. The scene encapsulates my views of society in general.
(04-09-2021, 03:47 PM)Blind Horus Wrote: I feel for you but day before yesterday I watched a big flock of geese take off just before dusk and fly overhead. Listening to the honking gave me a feeling of awe as I watched them flying so low toward the next wetland in Buxton. It feels good not to worry about stuff like I used to so hang in there and keep in mind the old saying - this too shall pass. Curious why they decided to move so late in the day, though. Probably the coyotes...

I watched a bald eagle soaring overhead today.  Amazing!  I think getting outside in nature - into God's creation is so important.  Stepping away from the computer and getting into the fresh air to appreciate the beauty around me does a world of good.  Honestly - so does cleaning out the chicken coop!  There is something about manual labor and completing a job that is good for the soul.
[-] The following 2 users Like CatholicMamato5's post:
  • Anon777, PilgrimMichelangelo
My other big worry, is I do not know how to evangelize the faith, by that I mean...do I speak and risk alienating others, or do I get along just to get along. 

For example, One day my parents told me that I did not need to got confession, that I was already worthy of communion. Because they THINK I AM A SAINT. I do not know if I should be quiet, or yelling out loud. I have told my dad to stop cursing. But he does not listen, and I have stopped telling him. I am worried that no matter what I do, I will be seen as simply no different by my acts and beliefs as an agnostic, that my works of mercy and compassion will be on equal footing, as someone who does good works, BUT is a devout atheist, or a Hindu. HOW do I make my faith stand out in a world where a devout Catholic is seen as equal as a atheist?

Example: A devout catholic gives $100 to a single mother
Example: A secular humanist gives $100 to a single mother

In modern society, they are seen as equal in kindness, that God is merely a metaphysical "ideal" subject to personal opinions. Though the Catholic does it in the grace and for the glory of God and the secularist not, they are seen as equally good in society
(04-09-2021, 07:44 PM)Anon777 Wrote: My other big worry, is I do not know how to evangelize the faith, by that I mean...do I speak and risk alienating others, or do I get along just to get along. 

For example, One day my parents told me that I did not need to got confession, that I was already worthy of communion. Because they THINK I AM A SAINT. I do not know if I should be quiet, or yelling out loud. I have told my dad to stop cursing. But he does not listen, and I have stopped telling him. I am worried that no matter what I do, I will be seen as simply no different by my acts and beliefs as an agnostic, that my works of mercy and compassion will be on equal footing, as someone who does good works, BUT is a devout atheist, or a Hindu. HOW do I make my faith stand out in a world where a devout Catholic is seen as equal as a atheist?

Example: A devout catholic gives $100 to a single mother
Example: A secular humanist gives $100 to a single mother

In modern society, they are seen as equal in kindness, that God is merely a metaphysical "ideal" subject to personal opinions. Though the Catholic does it in the grace and for the glory of God and the secularist not, they are seen as equally good in society

Just practice your faith and do not back down when confronted by others. And you said it, a secular humanist can be as moral as can be on a natural level, but remember that will merit them nothing in the eyes of God because it was not done for love of God but love of man. It is not the quantity or visibility of your good works that are important, but the disposition of them. If they are directed for the glory and love of God, then they are more valuable than any act done on a merely human level.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
Quote:But most of all. I. HATE. LIES. 

ALL MY life I wanted the truth. Not someone's 'truth' but THE Truth. But now I know, I cannot stomach the lies we [society] tell ourselves, that we do not need God, that there is no absolute truth. I hate lies. I hate it. I want to shout the truth out loud and clear...but who will listen?

Lies - take for example the current Prince Phillip story. I'd imagine many were expecting the worst (from the media) but instead they are fawning over him (I hear). Politics at work, I'd say, war is on the horizon and money to be made. The next big thing. And It does not really matter to them if they tell the you truth or not, in fact they would prefer not to, no sense forming bad habits. And in the internet era lying has never been easier and they're learning new and better ways by the minute.

Beware, and never fall for the hourly outrage stories designed to prompt emotion. Emotion to be studied and used against you in a neverending stream of horror stories designed to cause you to despair The media is not, I repeat, is not your friend.

The Fisheater theologians can help you find truth.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!