Can my 64 year old mother take the Moderna Covid vaccine this Monday?
So, virSapiens, did your mother get the vaccine yesterday?  How is she doing?
No she did not. I cancelled the appointment. She said she would wait. I explained to her my moral objections and the risk of side-effects.
[-] The following 2 users Like virSapiens's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, J Michael
Did you ask her her opinion? None of my business, clearly, but you did post here for advice.
(04-13-2021, 11:46 AM)AlanK82 Wrote: This is downright weird. Getting online advice about whether to make a medical decision? Wrong, just wrong.

By the way, after my first dose, I experienced occasional periods of weightlessness. Is that normal? *

* just kidding

For once I have to kinda agree with you. The Church has said you can take the vaccine, so there's nothing unethical. Now would I do it?

HELL NO!

However, that's me and you are free to take the shot or not, but I wouldn't since it's experimental and was rushed into development and now the CDC is finally halting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine because there have been reports of lethal blood clots developing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • antiquarian
(04-13-2021, 12:52 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 12:50 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote:
(04-11-2021, 07:05 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Hold on, what? I’m referring to the text I’ve put in bold, of course. Does COVID-19 do damage to penises? I’m seriously asking, I don’t know the answer.

Yes, Covid damages blood vessels.  Studies out last month show that men who have had Covid are almost 6 times more likely to develop erectile dysfunction.

A study from January 2021 demonstrated that the spike protein produced by the vaccines can damage cardiac cells even in the absence of an infection.

I call BS on both. There's no way to properly determine any permanent damage for a virus only 2 years old.
  • antiquarian
(04-13-2021, 10:39 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 12:52 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 12:50 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote:
(04-11-2021, 07:05 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Hold on, what? I’m referring to the text I’ve put in bold, of course. Does COVID-19 do damage to penises? I’m seriously asking, I don’t know the answer.

Yes, Covid damages blood vessels.  Studies out last month show that men who have had Covid are almost 6 times more likely to develop erectile dysfunction.

A study from January 2021 demonstrated that the spike protein produced by the vaccines can damage cardiac cells even in the absence of an infection.

I call BS on both.  There's no way to properly determine any permanent damage for a virus only 2 years old.
Did I miss something (it happens more than it should!)?  Who mentioned "permanent" damage?  Not that I'm disagreeing with you, because you may very well be right.  Maybe the kind of damage to cardiac cells caused by spike proteins is inherently permanent--someone smarter than I would know that, but I don't.
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • austenbosten
(04-13-2021, 10:52 PM)J Michael Wrote: Did I miss something (it happens more than it should!)?  Who mentioned "permanent" damage?  Not that I'm disagreeing with you, because you may very well be right.  Maybe the kind of damage to cardiac cells caused by spike proteins is inherently permanent--someone smarter than I would know that, but I don't.

You are correct. I guess what I'm saying is how reliable are these studies since the virus is so new and there's so much going on that officials are making rash judgments and second-guesses.
  • J Michael
(04-13-2021, 11:05 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 10:52 PM)J Michael Wrote: Did I miss something (it happens more than it should!)?  Who mentioned "permanent" damage?  Not that I'm disagreeing with you, because you may very well be right.  Maybe the kind of damage to cardiac cells caused by spike proteins is inherently permanent--someone smarter than I would know that, but I don't.

You are correct.  I guess what I'm saying is how reliable are these studies since the virus is so new and there's so much going on that officials are making rash judgments and second-guesses.
You mean like "the vaccines are completely safe" and extremely effective and everyone should get them?  Those kind of rash judgments?

I can't shouldn't really comment on the reliability of a study without: being able to understand it; knowing who conducted it; knowing who paid for it; knowing the parameters and methodology involved; knowing if it has been peer reviewed or not; knowing who published it, etc.  But I do, sometimes...

Take everything with a grain or more of salt.  Just the right amount enhances the flavor; too much spoils the taste.
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • austenbosten