Can converts receive the Sacrament of Confession?
No, Confirmation is not what turns a baptised non-Catholic into a Catholic. It is the public profession of faith and abjuration of errors that makes you a become a Catholic. The normal order is confession, absolution from excommunication, absolution from sin, public profession of faith (this is usually the Creed of Pius IV with the SSPX, it was for me) and abjuration of heresy, and then you're a Catholic. Then you can (normally) receive your first Holy Communion and receive Confirmation, but you will be a Catholic before that happens.

The order is the same in the Novus Ordo but the public profession is much shortened and there is no explicit abjuration of heresy.

This is if your Baptism is judged valid. For determining the validity of your Baptism, trust the priest. If your Baptism was doubtful, an SSPX priest will usually give conditional Baptism. That's usually in private with two witnesses, and it's just the sacramental form, no other ceremonies.

For a Catholic who has not received solemn Baptism, it is possible to get the rites of solemn Baptism (that is, everything except the sacrament itself) supplied at a later occasion.
As an aside, I’d like to put out there that despite how we may personally feel about reverence, respect, etc., people confirmed in the Novus Ordo are really, truly confirmed.  Just as we cannot be re-baptized, we cannot be re-confirmed.  Maybe we would have preferred it be performed by Fr. Trad Tradderson in the traditional form instead of Fr. Jimmy No-Last-Name, but our preference does not make the sacrament.

I think this is going to start a firestorm, but I’ll go ahead and say it anyway: NO sacraments are efficacious, provided, as with any rite or use, they are done with the intent to perform the sacraments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pandora's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident
(04-13-2021, 02:52 PM)Pandora Wrote: As an aside, I’d like to put out there that despite how we may personally feel about reverence, respect, etc., people confirmed in the Novus Ordo are really, truly confirmed.  Just as we cannot be re-baptized, we cannot be re-confirmed.  Maybe we would have preferred it be performed by Fr. Trad Tradderson in the traditional form instead of Fr. Jimmy No-Last-Name, but our preference does not make the sacrament.

I think this is going to start a firestorm, but I’ll go ahead and say it anyway: NO sacraments are efficacious, provided, as with any rite or use, they are done with the intent to perform the sacraments.
Why would anyone seriously not believe this? If you're bringing this up in response to me deciding not to do RCIA it's not that I didn't think I could become Catholic that way, I just didn't want to sit through a bunch of heresy in the meantime. I'm by no means a know-it-all or a "more Catholic than the pope" trad or anything, I just deeply trust my SSPX priests understanding and desire to empart the Catholic Faith to my wife and I, where the woman who taught RCIA in the NO parish was much more suspect to me, inherently, as well as in the things taught in that class.
(04-13-2021, 03:45 PM)convert145 Wrote: Why would anyone seriously not believe this? If you're bringing this up in response to me deciding not to do RCIA it's not that I didn't think I could become Catholic that way, I just didn't want to sit through a bunch of heresy in the meantime. I'm by no means a know-it-all or a "more Catholic than the pope" trad or anything, I just deeply trust my SSPX priests understanding and desire to empart the Catholic Faith to my wife and I, where the woman who taught RCIA in the NO parish was much more suspect to me, inherently, as well as in the things taught in that class.

Many in the SSPX reject the validity of some Novus Ordo sacraments. This is not the official position of the Society, but it doesn't stop people. That may have been what the other poster was responding to.
(04-13-2021, 02:52 PM)Pandora Wrote: As an aside, I’d like to put out there that despite how we may personally feel about reverence, respect, etc., people confirmed in the Novus Ordo are really, truly confirmed.  Just as we cannot be re-baptized, we cannot be re-confirmed.  Maybe we would have preferred it be performed by Fr. Trad Tradderson in the traditional form instead of Fr. Jimmy No-Last-Name, but our preference does not make the sacrament.

... and the proper matter and form is used.

That's an important caveat, that is not always going to be the case, as we found out with the whole "We baptize you" question a little while back. 

This is not the place to discuss the merits of any questions over Confirmation, but it is worth pointing out that there are several significant problems with the modern rite itself as regards the changed matter and form in the newer rite such as a form which is extremely vague, and the lack of the older imposition of hands. Are these enough to invalidate? I can't say, but it's enough to put a cloud over the whole issue. Add the question over the matter, which all traditional theologians held to be properly blessed olive oil (an that no other vegetable oil would be valid), is now any vegetable oil ...

Totally agree we should not question Sacraments where there is no questions. If valid in the new rite, indeed, you don't get to have a traditional do-over, but if there is an issue of validity, or a question, there is the conditional reception of the Sacrament to ensure validity.

The SSPX, officially, for instance, given these questions, routinely gives conditional Confirmation to those who were not confirmed using the older rite or where the older rite was used, but there is question over the matter. The conditional form is used.

Is there a
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, traditiovivens
(04-13-2021, 03:48 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 03:45 PM)convert145 Wrote: Why would anyone seriously not believe this? If you're bringing this up in response to me deciding not to do RCIA it's not that I didn't think I could become Catholic that way, I just didn't want to sit through a bunch of heresy in the meantime. I'm by no means a know-it-all or a "more Catholic than the pope" trad or anything, I just deeply trust my SSPX priests understanding and desire to empart the Catholic Faith to my wife and I, where the woman who taught RCIA in the NO parish was much more suspect to me, inherently, as well as in the things taught in that class.

Many in the SSPX reject the validity of some Novus Ordo sacraments.  This is not the official position of the Society, but it doesn't stop people.  That may have been what the other poster was responding to.
Yeah, I'm sure that's probably true. I went to a NO mass today after confession because while I agree that NO can be damaging to the Faith and irreverent, I still feel like it is pleasing to our Lord to participate in liturgy. I made up my mind to not worry about my personal preference and just go to Mass and worship and pray. The table, the priest's back to the tabernacle, the lay people reading the gospel, and the way that me trying to pray during the liturgy made me feel like I was "getting distracted" or not participating or something, struck me. I believe NO is valid but an inferior liturgy and I pray that the Church will standardize the Tridentine Mass again soon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes convert145's post:
To the OP's original point :

Recall what the Sacrament of Penance is. It is a tribunal for baptized Catholics in which their sorrow for sins is perfected by the Sacrament so that they are absolved. It is a substitute for Perfect Contrition, a moral guarantee of absolution, and required by the Church before we normally return to receiving the other Sacraments if we have fallen into mortal sin.

An Act of Perfect Contrition will forgive sins, even mortal sins, if it is truly a Perfect Act, which means it is a hatred of all of our sins because of the offense to God (and not some lesser motive), and it includes the intention to confess and receive absolution as soon as reasonably possible.

You therefore have your answer as to what to do as one preparing to enter the Catholic Church. If you decide to confess your sins, but cannot be absolved, use it as the means to recall your sins and to ask for help in making a Perfect Act of Contrition.

If you do this, these are forgiven, though, when you enter the Church, you will need to confess any mortal sins, even if Perfect Contrition has forgiven them.

Pray to have this contrition, and make the act frequently, and you have the best guarantee that you will be truly sorry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
(04-13-2021, 03:48 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: Many in the SSPX reject the validity of some Novus Ordo sacraments.
They are not "in the SSPX"...
(04-13-2021, 04:04 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: An Act of Perfect Contrition will forgive sins, even mortal sins, if it is truly a Perfect Act, which means it is a hatred of all of our sins because of the offense to God (and not some lesser motive), and it includes the intention to confess and receive absolution as soon as reasonably possible.
An act of perfect contrition doesn't have to be a "perfect act". It is true that in an act of perfect contrition we must hate at least all our mortal sins because they offend God, but the presence of a less noble motive alongside this does not imply we don't have perfect contrition.
(04-13-2021, 04:18 PM)Marmot Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 03:48 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: Many in the SSPX reject the validity of some Novus Ordo sacraments.
They are not "in the SSPX"...

Very true. The SSPX is an Institute of Priests. Laymen may attend Masses offered by the SSPX, but they are not 'n' or 'part of' the Society.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe