Can converts receive the Sacrament of Confession?
(04-13-2021, 02:52 PM)Pandora Wrote: As an aside, I’d like to put out there that despite how we may personally feel about reverence, respect, etc., people confirmed in the Novus Ordo are really, truly confirmed.  Just as we cannot be re-baptized, we cannot be re-confirmed.  Maybe we would have preferred it be performed by Fr. Trad Tradderson in the traditional form instead of Fr. Jimmy No-Last-Name, but our preference does not make the sacrament.

I think this is going to start a firestorm, but I’ll go ahead and say it anyway: NO sacraments are efficacious, provided, as with any rite or use, they are done with the intent to perform the sacraments.

... and the proper matter and form is used.

That's an important caveat, that is not always going to be the case, as we found out with the whole "We baptize you" question a little while back. 

This is not the place to discuss the merits of any questions over Confirmation, but it is worth pointing out that there are several significant problems with the modern rite itself as regards the changed matter and form in the newer rite such as a form which is extremely vague, and the lack of the older imposition of hands. Are these enough to invalidate? I can't say, but it's enough to put a cloud over the whole issue. Add the question over the matter, which all traditional theologians held to be properly blessed olive oil (an that no other vegetable oil would be valid), is now any vegetable oil ...

Totally agree we should not question Sacraments where there is no questions. If valid in the new rite, indeed, you don't get to have a traditional do-over, but if there is an issue of validity, or a question, there is the conditional reception of the Sacrament to ensure validity.

The SSPX, officially, for instance, given these questions, routinely gives conditional Confirmation to those who were not confirmed using the older rite or where the older rite was used, but there is question over the matter. The conditional form is used.

Is there a
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, traditiovivens

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can converts receive the Sacrament of Confession? - by MagisterMusicae - 04-13-2021, 03:58 PM