Vatican conference on priesthood
https://thetablet.org/cardinal-unveils-m...-for-2022/

Originally saw this headline on google through america magazine, looks to be truly happening. Reading through it, im cautious. Yes, a conference on why we have a priest shortage and things to fix that is needed and be good to have, as well as if they were to make headway on the abuse scandal.

My concern is in some of the statements in the article, namely:

"The relationship between baptism and ordained ministry needs greater emphasis today, Cardinal Ouellet said, but reviewing the foundations of a theology of priesthood also “involves ecumenical questions not to be ignored, as well as the cultural movements that question the place of women in the church.”"

"The symposium, “Toward a Fundamental Theology of the Priesthood,” seeks to encourage an understanding of ministerial priesthood that is rooted in the priesthood of all believers conferred at baptism, getting away from the idea of ordained ministry as belonging to “ecclesiastical power,” the cardinal said at a news conference April 12."

Reading those statements, could be fine, but also can go a very different way. Similar to the writing of Vatican 2 documents, can interpret it both ways.
(04-13-2021, 02:00 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: getting away from the idea of ordained ministry as belonging to “ecclesiastical power,”

Luther tried that.  As it turns out, it sucks.  I'll keep my Catholicism.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • jovan66102
I'd take anything I read in The Tablet with a very large grain of salt. It is the National catholic Distorter (a/k/a Fishwrap) of Britain.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(04-13-2021, 05:03 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I'd take anything I read in The Tablet with a very large grain of salt. It is the National catholic Distorter (a/k/a Fishwrap) of Britain.

Copy that, did find the same article from a more reliable source. The quotes above didnt find their way in there, these two did stand out to me as wishy washy. Again, can be really great things, but also can signal its going a very different way

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/vatican-ci...siret.html

“We see today that in many parts of the world, bishops and priests are struggling to identify the changes required for a priest to truly be a sentinel of the Kingdom of God,” she said.

"He [Oullett] said the decision to hold the three-day Symposium was not taken lightly, given the health crisis set off by the pandemic. But, added Cardinal Ouellett, there is a certain urgency to explore the theology of the priesthood, especially after the recent Synods on the family, young people, and the Church in Amazonia."