Knights of Columbus
Does anyone here know much about Knights of Columbus? I'm trying to find a good way to help the poor and I'd prefer to give my time to a good Catholic group. If not them do you know of any other groups in the US that would be good to volunteer with?
I would also look at the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.  Their web site is:  https://ssvpusa.org.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Evangelium's post:
  • austenbosten
(04-13-2021, 04:30 PM)muffinman145 Wrote: Does anyone here know much about Knights of Columbus? I'm trying to find a good way to help the poor and I'd prefer to give my time to a good Catholic group. If not them do you know of any other groups in the US that would be good to volunteer with?

The Knights vary widely. Some Councils are heavily involved with Parish programs and active work. Others tend to be little more than Catholic men's social clubs. You need to check out your local Council carefully.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(04-13-2021, 04:46 PM)Evangelium Wrote: I would also look at the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.  Their web site is:  https://ssvpusa.org.
Great. Thank you! I sent them an email asking what kind of help they needed.
[-] The following 2 users Like muffinman145's post:
  • austenbosten, Evangelium
(04-13-2021, 05:00 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 04:30 PM)muffinman145 Wrote: Does anyone here know much about Knights of Columbus? I'm trying to find a good way to help the poor and I'd prefer to give my time to a good Catholic group. If not them do you know of any other groups in the US that would be good to volunteer with?

The Knights vary widely. Some Councils are heavily involved with Parish programs and active work. Others tend to be little more than Catholic men's social clubs. You need to check out your local Council carefully.
Interesting. I know for a fact that my local Council is very involved in the community I just don't know how much of it is actual charity and help for the poor vs. just fun local stuff.
Hi muffinman145,

if you don't mind, I'd like to chime in. I'm a member of my local council. We had four fish fry dinners, during Lent, to raise money for the charity work we do during the rest of the year. Councils can vary widely, like Jovan wrote. Ours is small, just over eighty men. One of our gents is a former chef, and he may on occasion, make a meal for all, after which we pray the Rosary, have our meeting, et cetera. As to your local council, ask. If it's anything like mine, they believe in good fellowship, but focus on charity. If you don't like what you find there, look around your area for a council of the Knights of Peter Claver. They come highly recommended by Sir Charles Coulombe.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
(04-13-2021, 05:33 PM)dahveed Wrote: Hi muffinman145,

if you don't mind, I'd like to chime in. I'm a member of my local council. We had four fish fry dinners, during Lent, to raise money for the charity work we do during the rest of the year. Councils can vary widely, like Jovan wrote. Ours is small, just over eighty men. One of our gents is a former chef, and he may on occasion, make a meal for all, after which we pray the Rosary, have our meeting, et cetera. As to your local council, ask. If it's anything like mine, they believe in good fellowship, but focus on charity. If you don't like what you find there, look around your area for a council of the Knights of Peter Claver. They come highly recommended by Sir Charles Coulombe.
This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. Thank you so much. I got in contact with my local Knights and am waiting on more information from them.
(04-13-2021, 05:33 PM)dahveed Wrote: They come highly recommended by Sir Charles Coulombe.

As is well known, I am FE's resident nitpicker. As Mr Coulombe would be the first to tell you, 'Sir' is a prenominal used only of British knights. If you wish to use a title, tho' Papal knights normally do not, the correct usage would be 'Chevalier'.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(04-13-2021, 05:13 PM)muffinman145 Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 04:46 PM)Evangelium Wrote: I would also look at the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.  Their web site is:  https://ssvpusa.org.

St. Vincent de Paul, at least from my experience, is not looking for people to pitch in every now and then.  It's a society.  They want commitment above and beyond what you would normally expect.  If that appeals to you, all the good.
(04-13-2021, 07:59 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 05:13 PM)muffinman145 Wrote:

St. Vincent de Paul, at least from my experience, is not looking for people to pitch in every now and then.  It's a society.  They want commitment above and beyond what you would normally expect.  If that appeals to you, all the good.
I would imagine you have to get to know what kind of work they do and do some volunteering to see if it's something that you can/want to commit to.