Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics
(04-14-2021, 06:11 PM)newenglandsun Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 11:17 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 11:16 AM)Augustinian Wrote: I've noticed that there's post-schism saints venerated by Eastern Catholics such as St. Gregory Palamas that aren't recognized by the West.

We ought to consider these to be questionable because their canonizations could not have been infallible

That said, any one prior to the schism should be acceptable to venerate. But only if the acceptance is by the consensus patrium. The Copts venerate Pontius Pilate as a saint. That one's iffy and the consensus patrium would not lend credence to that position.

It is interesting that you mention Coptic veneration of Pontius Pilate.  As I was looking into the subject of Eastern saints yesterday, I ran across several articles that mention his canonization among the Coptic and Ethiopian Orthodox.  I found it interesting.  If true (obviously, I can't say), it'd be one of the most powerful conversion stories in history.  I do hear that his wife, Claudia Procula, has wider veneration in the East.  I also learned that there are several apocryphal acts that detail the alleged conversion, though they date hundreds of years after their lifetimes.  Interesting subject.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - by SeekerofChrist - 04-14-2021, 06:29 PM