How do I enjoy learning the faith?
(04-14-2021, 09:05 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Biblical commentaries, including Knecht's, here: https://www.fisheaters.com/catholiclibrary.html
I can't read all that. I am VERY bad at reading. Anything that is designed for children? or the sorts? I am pathetic, I know. : /
And I will confess to you brothers...I HATE reading. I want to enjoy but...it is hard. And this is from someone who used to LOVE reading, and who used to read large novels front to back. I can barely read anything more than a couple sentences each day. I blame it on part the computer. I have been stuck to this thing for...10 years. 

I just realized I spent a better part of a decade on this stupid thing. I became stuck to this computer when I was dealing with troubles in school and deaths in the family. How do I enjoy reading again? : ''''(
(04-14-2021, 09:39 PM)Anon777 Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 09:05 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Biblical commentaries, including Knecht's, here: https://www.fisheaters.com/catholiclibrary.html
I can't read all that. I am VERY bad at reading. Anything that is designed for children? or the sorts? I am pathetic, I know. : /
And I will confess to you brothers...I HATE reading. I want to enjoy but...it is hard. And this is from someone who used to LOVE reading, and who used to read large novels front to back. I can barely read anything more than a couple sentences each day. I blame it on part the computer. I have been stuck to this thing for...10 years. 

I just realized I spent a better part of a decade on this stupid thing. I became stuck to this computer when I was dealing with troubles in school and deaths in the family. How do I enjoy reading again? : ''''(

Read a little bit at a time. Stop, and then reflect on what you just read for a moment or two, then resume reading. Eventually you'll find yourself taking in more and more of what you're reading and also building up a focus for it. It's not about finishing the book as fast as possible, but absorbing the content of what you're reading.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
(04-14-2021, 09:39 PM)Anon777 Wrote:

Others will probably give better advice than I can but I wanted to say 2 things.
First, you’re not pathetic. It’s alright that you are bad at reading, we all have our gifts in difference places, it does not make us pathetic. I personally am awful at math (lol) but I’m not going to demean myself, neither privately nor publicly, because of it. You’re not pathetic my friend, and based on what you've said in that you used to read large novels, I’m sure it’s not an inherent lack in you but just something you will have to get used to again. 
And this leads to point 2, namely that you will have to get used to it again. It’s alright that you need to start with books for children: we all start somewhere on our journeys. So if you begin with children’s books, perhaps read, piece by piece and sentence by sentence, page by page, the first of the Baltimore Catechisms, as I believe it is meant for children about to get First Communion. This should be helpful, and it is in question+answer form so very easy to digest in pieces. Start small, aim big, and with the grace of Almighty God who sees all of your struggles which you are performing in order to get closer to Him, you will accomplish all things.
“Take my advice and live for a long, long time. Because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die.” 

“When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!” 

- Don Quixote
[-] The following 1 user Likes Memories_in_Rain's post:
  • Augustinian
@Anon777 This is off-topic but what imageboards did you originally browse? Did you by any chance end up on one of the refugee boards from 8chan's shutdown? I ask this because your posting style is oddly familiar and I remember a similar name in one of the regular game-nights on Mark's /v/.
With no king to rule me I owe my fealty only to God.
This might be unpopular but I actually think rather than trying to study the faith through a military lens constantly you need to address the reasons you're so obsessed with militaristic imagery and fantasies. If I remember correctly you made a post a few days ago describing how much you hate the world and the people in it which to me is a massive red flag. Yes, there are several military metaphors used when explaining Catholicism (spiritual warfare, Church militant, etc) but you also need to know and understand the basics: the commandments, the sacraments, acts of spiritual and corporal mercy, etc.

Rather than trying to make the faith all about war (honestly, how many times can we mention Lepanto or harp on about Deus Vult?) why don't you look at why you have this preoccupation with violence and try to balance it out a little. For the vast majority of people the path to holiness is found in doing the duties of their state in life well and with love of God and neighbour, not in the battle fields of Eastern Ukraine or fantasizing about re-enacting the Crusades.
Ignore this Church of Nice tone policer. No idea why he keeps coming back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • J Michael
(04-14-2021, 11:34 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: Ignore this Church of Nice tone policer.  No idea why he keeps coming back.

Noted that you didn't actually address anything I say. Of course, let's just cram every single piece of catechesis through a militaristic lens (try that with 'turn the other cheek'...) rather than address the issue of why this one person is obsessed with war. Sounds healthy.