Can Catholics eat kosher or halal?
Can Catholics eat kosher or halal?

I'm pretty sure no for halal but what about Kosher? There is much food in the super market marked with K and U and whatnot. Thanks.
I've never heard of any prohibition on eating halal or kosher food.  I can't imagine why there would be one.  I wouldn't normally go out of my way to acquire such meats (though Kosher hot dogs are usually better tasting, IMO) or other foods but I cannot see what would be intrinsically evil about eating either one.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 2 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • Ioannes_L, Melkite
You might be getting confused about teaching regarding the old law.

If you keep kosher because you think it's required of you, then you've sinned. (Your culpability is probably close to zero if you were raised by boomers who still do nonsense like passover seder meals.) We are Christians, not Jews. We accept Christ's fulfillment of the old covenant, so we do not keep the old ceremonial law. Practicing any part of Judaism out of a sense of obligation is a rejection of Christ the Messiah.

But if you happen to eat some food that's kosher, no big deal. Same thing with halal or any other food.
St. Paul said we ought to avoid food if it causes our brother to sin, but that it is nothing to eat meat that has been sacrificed to idols.  There is no prohibition in eating kosher or halal.  I'll go out of my way to avoid kosher or halal meat, though, because their slaughtering methods are less humane than is commonly used in the West.
[-] The following 5 users Like Melkite's post:
  • Augustinian, jovan66102, Machabeus, newenglandsun, Pandora
(04-14-2021, 10:25 AM)virSapiens Wrote: Can Catholics eat kosher or halal?

I'm pretty sure no for halal but what about Kosher?

There is much for in the super market marked with L
K and U and whatnot. Thanks.

The Church has never prohibited eating Kosher or Halal foods. Some Catholics have recently tried to invent such a prohibition, but they have no support from actual Church teachings, past or present.

Whether to avoid it or not, for whatever reason, is purely a personal choice, but the Church has never required Catholics to do so, or even recommend that they should.

You could even eat the free food the Hare Krishnas pass out in good conscience, if that's your thing. I personally avoid it because I don't like how it tastes, but I have obligation to do so as a Catholic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dominus Vobisdu's post:
  • newenglandsun
I've had Gefilte fish and I do love Matzo soup and Jewish brisket.

And no I'm not sinning because I also love lobster.
[-] The following 2 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • jovan66102, karl
(04-14-2021, 10:25 AM)virSapiens Wrote: Can Catholics eat kosher or halal?

We don't believe in that stuff.  Praise and thank God, and then bon appetit.
I sure hope so, Middle Eastern food is some of my favourite.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Florus's post:
  • karl
See 1 Cor 8.

St Paul here talks about meat from animals sacrificed to idols. That's arguably worse than any Islamic or Jewish dietary law. His conclusion is that idols are nothing, so there's no issue ... unless it would scandalize other. If so, Charity obliges you to consider other's weakness (who see sin where there is none).

So, if you're keeping a halal or kosher diet for religious reasons, you're implicitly denying Christ. That's a sin against the First Commandment (against Faith).

If you just like kosher or halal food, or happen to buy food that is kosher or halal, or such food is the better quality because of added standards, then there's no issue ... provided that you will not scandalize others by this (who might think a kosher diet or halal sinful). The best way of doing that is probably just not to announce it to others.

If I may add, as a related note : The OP seems to be asking a lot of very legalistic and technical questions regarding moral laws. While educating one's conscience is important, Catholics are not Pharisees, and we while we do need to keep the Church's customs and laws, the Church is not looking to impose heavy burdens on us. If we look at the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15), we see that the Apostles were very clear that they did not want to impose much on Christians vis à vis the Pharisaic spirit which was common, and was the spirit of the Judaizers.

While there are rules, in general, the Catholic rules are just about common sense, not about technicalities. It is very dangerous to one's spiritual life and the need to God as a loving Father, as Our Lord wanted us to, to nitpick these little things. So, bravo for trying to form your conscience, but more than the rules, learn the spirit behind the rules.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, Pandora
(04-14-2021, 11:03 AM)Melkite Wrote: St. Paul said we ought to avoid food if it causes our brother to sin, but that it is nothing to eat meat that has been sacrificed to idols.  There is no prohibition in eating kosher or halal.  I'll go out of my way to avoid kosher or halal meat, though, because their slaughtering methods are less humane than is commonly used in the West.

THIS! In fact, there are serious movements in Europe to ban these inhumane slaughtering methods. Of course, they're called 'Islamophobic' and antisemitic.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, Melkite, Pandora