Can Catholics eat kosher or halal?
(04-14-2021, 04:46 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 11:03 AM)Melkite Wrote: St. Paul said we ought to avoid food if it causes our brother to sin, but that it is nothing to eat meat that has been sacrificed to idols.  There is no prohibition in eating kosher or halal.  I'll go out of my way to avoid kosher or halal meat, though, because their slaughtering methods are less humane than is commonly used in the West.

THIS! In fact, there are serious movements in Europe to ban these inhumane slaughtering methods. Of course, they're called 'Islamophobic' and antisemitic.

Must be pretty good, then!
[-] The following 2 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Melkite, Pandora
(04-14-2021, 04:46 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 11:03 AM)Melkite Wrote: St. Paul said we ought to avoid food if it causes our brother to sin, but that it is nothing to eat meat that has been sacrificed to idols.  There is no prohibition in eating kosher or halal.  I'll go out of my way to avoid kosher or halal meat, though, because their slaughtering methods are less humane than is commonly used in the West.

THIS! In fact, there are serious movements in Europe to ban these inhumane slaughtering methods. Of course, they're called 'Islamophobic' and antisemitic.

The same thing happens to their movements to ban circumcision of minors.
(04-14-2021, 03:51 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: If I may add, as a related note : The OP seems to be asking a lot of very legalistic and technical questions regarding moral laws. While educating one's conscience is important, Catholics are not Pharisees, and we while we do need to keep the Church's customs and laws, the Church is not looking to impose heavy burdens on us. If we look at the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15), we see that the Apostles were very clear that they did not want to impose much on Christians vis à vis the Pharisaic spirit which was common, and was the spirit of the Judaizers.

While there are rules, in general, the Catholic rules are just about common sense, not about technicalities. It is very dangerous to one's spiritual life and the need to God as a loving Father, as Our Lord wanted us to, to nitpick these little things.

Thank you MagisterMusicae.

Yes I do ask very legalistic questions. I was out of the Church for about 21 years so I am trying to learn 
as much as a can. For better or worse, I suffer from scrupulosity and OCD so you can imagine how it is to reflect on an entire adulthood of not following ANY rules.

Also, there seems to be differences of opinion between Catholics so that adds to my confusion.

In the end, I'm also really just very intellectually curious! I had seven years of Catholic school education as a child. Yet, I have learned more about our Faith in the past 8 weeks! I'm disappointed I wasn't taught more.
I avoid halal meat because I don't want to sponsor the imam.
(04-15-2021, 09:05 AM)Marmot Wrote: I avoid halal meat because I don't want to sponsor the imam.

The imam doesn't need sponsorship.  Fake President Joe will give him a student Visa, no questions asked.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • karl
I wouldn't eat food if doing it deliberately to observe the religion, for example, Catholics should not have seder meals during Holy Week. But I'm not going to lose sleep if food I come across at a market or restaurant happens to be kosher or halal, as it has no religious meaning to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ardent Fire's post:
  • jovan66102
it doesn't need an imam or even a muslim to be halal
as long as a sane white person walks around saying allahu akbar
at various intervals
and slices the neck correctly
then it's halal
and what many muslims won't admit to whitey
there is an enormous loophope in their dietary laws
when mohammed was making these things up
he had a very imperfect understanding of Christianity
from talking with traders and whatnot in the desert
so all his stories and the beliefs he ascribes to Christians
are sort of off and just not quite right
apparently from the mouth of the omniscient creator of the universe
point begin
muslims are allowed to eat food prepared according to the religious laws of the people of the book
aka jews and Christians
so muslims can eat kosher
and as Christians have minimally basic laws aka offered to idols and strangled
other than pork all food in the world is basically halal and muslims can eat
allah botched their inheritance laws in a similar fashion
oops that doesn't work
(04-16-2021, 07:29 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote: as long as a sane white person walks around saying allahu akbar
at various intervals
and slices the neck correctly

Ah, the Marina Abramovich method
(04-16-2021, 07:29 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote: it doesn't need an imam or even a muslim to be halal
One thing is the meat being halal, another is carrying a halal certification.
"Eat what tastes good" - St Teresa of Avila