Another One (Sort of) Bites the Dust
From Fr Z's Blog

I have been asked to comment about the sudden departure of a community of traditional Philadelphia Carmelite sisters from their Carmel in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.  They withdrew from their Carmel, established in 1902, and went to another Carmel in Valparaiso, Nebraska.

The Philadelphia Carmel had been struggling, with a reduced number of sisters.   They were down to three sisters.  In 2017 6 sisters in their 20s-30s came from the famous Valparaiso Carmel, which has been blessed with vocations and 4 came from Elysburg, PA.  Traditional Carmelites.   The place came to life again.

On their website (maintained by someone outside their Carmel) we see:
Quote:All Masses are celebrated by a chaplain of the Fraternity of St. Peter (FSSP) and are said in the Extraordinary Form. The Carmel is Latin Mass only with all of its sacraments.
I was sent a link to a site that claims some information about the sisters, however vague, which seems to have sparked the request for my comment.
Quote:According to sources close to the monastery, the sudden move took place over this past weekend. On Friday, after the daily Mass, a van was noticed by the entrance to the monastery used by the cloistered sisters. Later that day, word began to spread that the sisters had suddenly departed. The sisters were reportedly driven to another Carmelite monastery in Valparaiso, Nebraska. One elderly sister is said to have remained behind in Philadelphia but all of the others, believed to be 15 young Carmelites who arrived in 2017, have all departed.
[…]
With the departure of these 15 Carmelites over the weekend, and the recent deaths of most of the original sisters in Philadelphia, the beloved monastery is left with just one elderly sister and an uncertain future. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia has not yet addressed what happened. Catholics in the Philadelphia Archdiocese learning about the departure are devastated.
Thus, my spidey-sense is tingling.

I don’t know enough about this evolving situation yet.  It is very strange that there would be no public statement.

However, I will make the observation that a document came out from the Holy See’s Congregation for Religious that massively restricted religious communities.  For example, convents and monasteries of nuns and sisters who are united in the same rule, region, apostolate, etc., are required to “confederate” together, which seems to undermine their autonomy.  The length of formation before profession was doubled.

We’ve also seen that, time and again, “visitors” have been sent to traditional communities and, thereafter, those communities were snuffed out.

I don’t know about the Philly Carmelites, but it is troubling.  I hope for good news, soon.  Perhaps some thing like, “The Sisters just took a road trip to see their friends in Valparaiso.”  Though that doesn’t sound like a very Carmelite thing to do.

I should add this. 

The presence of a sound Carmel in a place is a great blessing.  I’m convinced that the prayers and work of the sisters brings untold benefits to, for example, a diocese. (My Bishop agrees, which is why they came to the Carmel of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, here in our Diocese!-JW)

If there has been some pressure on the Sisters to give up their traditional ways, thus sparking their departure,….

Let’s wait for some explanation.   In the meantime, you might ask the great Carmelite saints for intercession for the good of all, the sisters and the people of Philadelphia.

There come to mind immediately…
St. Teresa of Avila
St. Therese of Lisieux
St. Edith Stein
St. Elizabeth of the Trinity
St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi
St. Simon Stock
St. John of the Cross
St. Titus Brandsma

UPDATE:
A priest friend from the area gave me some additional information.
It seems that because of that document from the Congregation for Religious the Carmelites were losing control over their lives.   They were being pressured to give up the Traditional Latin Mass and have the Novus Ordo.
They left.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Ambrosiano
I don’t want to start up controversy but they should consider joining the Sisters of Saint Thomas Aquinas formed by Bishop Selway. It seems that, if they are going to leave because of their desire to stay traditional (and Catholic), they should join the ones who will never flinch in the fight and in their faith.

https://www.sistersofaquinas.org
“Take my advice and live for a long, long time. Because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die.” 

“When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!” 

- Don Quixote
[-] The following 1 user Likes Memories_in_Rain's post:
  • Augustinian
(04-15-2021, 05:15 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: I don’t want to start up controversy but they should consider joining the Sisters of Saint Thomas Aquinas formed by Bishop Selway. It seems that, if they are going to leave because of their desire to stay traditional (and Catholic), they should join the ones who will never flinch in the fight and in their faith.

Why? They are Carmelites, dedicated to the ideals of the Carmelite Order, and here in the Diocese of Lincoln they are as safe as they can be anywhere in the world in the current Pontificate. We not only have the Carmel of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph in Valparaiso, to which they've come, but the FSSP Seminary in Denton. This is probably the most Trad friendly Diocese in the US, and has been ever since the Council.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Ad Jesum Per Mariam
(04-15-2021, 05:29 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 05:15 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: I don’t want to start up controversy but they should consider joining the Sisters of Saint Thomas Aquinas formed by Bishop Selway. It seems that, if they are going to leave because of their desire to stay traditional (and Catholic), they should join the ones who will never flinch in the fight and in their faith.

Why? They are Carmelites, dedicated to the ideals of the Carmelite Order, and here in the Diocese of Lincoln they are as safe as they can be anywhere in the world in the current Pontificate. We not only have the Carmel of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph in Valparaiso, to which they've come, but the FSSP Seminary in Denton. This is probably the most Trad friendly Diocese in the US, and has been ever since the Council.
My apologies, perhaps I read it wrong. I was under the impression they left because they were forced to stop the TLM and instead go to the NO. Did I read this wrong?
“Take my advice and live for a long, long time. Because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die.” 

“When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!” 

- Don Quixote
I don't want to start up controversy but they should consider joining The Nuns of the Order of Carmelites of the Holy Face formed by HH Gregory XVII.

https://www.palmarianchurch.org/the-nuns...oly-order/

[Image: San-Gregorio-XVII-con-Capa-Magna-2004-1-...201493.jpg]
(04-15-2021, 05:33 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: Did I read this wrong?

I believe so.
(04-15-2021, 05:39 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 05:33 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: Did I read this wrong?

I believe so.
I apologize, that’s my bad.

- Don Quixote
(04-15-2021, 05:37 PM)Marmot Wrote: I don't want to start up controversy but they should consider joining The Nuns of the Order of Carmelites of the Holy Face formed by HH Gregory XVII.

https://www.palmarianchurch.org/the-nuns...oly-order/

[Image: San-Gregorio-XVII-con-Capa-Magna-2004-1-...201493.jpg]

ROTFL!!!

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
(04-15-2021, 05:33 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: My apologies, perhaps I read it wrong. I was under the impression they left because they were forced to stop the TLM and instead go to the NO. Did I read this wrong?

I'm pretty sure you did. They are not giving up the TLM and going to the NO. They have moved to the Diocese of Lincoln to the Carmel here, from whence some of them went to Philly to help the Carmel there. They're safe here.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
They will be missed. I receive  Carmelite newsletter and perhaps they will start one.

The last one I got was all the Sisters with long white candlelight praying for our world. Such a wonderful thought that we have Our Holy Carmelites  praying without distraction. 

I pray for them too.