Lobbing the grenade
(04-16-2021, 11:43 AM)Pandora Wrote: I just posted a similar response in a thread, but I feel like this needs to be said and heard.

Lately especially, there have been exponentially more questions directed to posters here that should have been directed to people’s priests or spiritual directors.  Everyone here wants to help, but we are not experts and our person opinions and personal understandings are just that.  We additionally do not know the particulars of people’s life or situation.  Circumstances that responding posters, in all charity, might see as very evil or scandalous might have extenuating details that are better discussed with a priest who will use his prudence.

Don’t be afraid to speak with your priest.  If you don’t “get along” with him and feel like you’re not getting adequate spiritual direction, talk to another priest.  If you regularly find it difficult or inconvenient to schedule time to speak with him, talk to another priest.  You can even talk to *gasp* a NO priest.

Go to confession.  If you don’t feel you’re getting anything out of it, still go.  If you don’t like what the priest tells you, still listen.  If you can’t see yourself reforming and doing what priest says, still be obedient and try.

My intent is not to turn this into a “some priests are bad confessors and directors, so we shouldn’t do what they say for reason x.”  This should be a something all of us can and should get behind and fully support.

Again, a question about “is wearing a pink camo mantilla tacky?” is something we’re equipped to answer. (And yes, it definitely is.)

Specific questions like “do I suffer from scrupulosity?” or “is my mentally ill cousin who beat the family dog morally culpable?” are things about which we can at best offer our personal thoughts and possibly pass along texts to read.
I try to ask my priest, when I get a chance. But I am only able to go once a week just before confession. I depend on my dad usually to take me to confession/ talking to my priest, but I rely on people online because, I just need someone to talk to. I have been stuck at home for a few years now, and I am... trying to get on my feet. I am 24, but I may as well be 80. I never really kept up with the times, and such. I never learned to drive, and depend on people bringing me places. Yet, my folks are busy busy busy, and can't drive me to Church when I want it. I would like to go on a retreat, but I need someone to take me there. This, site is the only real human contact I have with others. I have no friends in the faith, and am bad at making friends. I am alone in my faith, and have no one to guide me really other than father...when I get a chance to talk to Him. The world stopped making sense a long time ago. It simply moved fast and I am slow. I am not good with computers. I am not good with math. The world has left me behind in the dust. I did not really do good in school. I have no real options in my life. I am in program for those with special needs, but I hardy know anyone there. I used to be close with my brother. Now he has outshone me and we hardly talk anymore. Though I am surrounded by people, I have never felt more alone. I feel like I am from Pluto. This IS my only connection with other like minded people. I feel like one of my toys that I have not touched in years. Forgotten about, and out of date. I have never felt more alone...

Messages In This Thread
Lobbing the grenade - by Pandora - 04-16-2021, 11:43 AM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by J Michael - 04-16-2021, 11:47 AM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by Ioannes_L - 04-16-2021, 12:11 PM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by Ardent Fire - 04-16-2021, 01:00 PM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by AlanK82 - 04-16-2021, 01:01 PM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by J Michael - 04-16-2021, 01:07 PM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by AlanK82 - 04-16-2021, 01:12 PM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by J Michael - 04-16-2021, 01:14 PM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by AlanK82 - 04-16-2021, 01:26 PM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by J Michael - 04-16-2021, 01:30 PM
RE: Lobbing the grenade - by Evangelium - 04-16-2021, 01:25 PM