Trek Fan Pushes Communism On Official Trek Site
Sorry for busting in like this, but I'd like to know your reactions to what I've posted so far about the Kephans.

I'm currently working on their relations with the Romulans, then afterwards with the Orions. Many thanks for your interest.
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G. K. Chesterton
(04-25-2021, 01:11 PM)HailGilbert Wrote: Sorry for busting in like this, but I'd like to know your reactions to what I've posted so far about the Kephans.

I'm currently working on their relations with the Romulans, then afterwards with the Orions. Many thanks for your interest.

Hello? Seeker? ChairmanJoe? Anyone else who read what's been done so far?
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G. K. Chesterton
I liked the four chapters on the fanfiction site a lot. I don't really know how to follow the links to the other website.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • HailGilbert
Smile 
(05-05-2021, 11:04 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: I liked the four chapters on the fanfiction site a lot.  I don't really know how to follow the links to the other website.

Go to the upper left of the top of the thread of both links. When finishing reading each part of the thread, hit the next number for each thread. For instance, when you finished reading Number One, then hit Number Two. Then go to Three, then to Four.

It will be like that for the next link also. I hope this helps.

And thank you for the big "thumbs-up" on what's been written. It brightens my day and I appreciate it.
Read through the three links (the ship page, chapters 1-4, and the Kephan Unity one). Really awesome idea, well done!

Couple thoughts to mull over, im not at all familiar with star trek so if any of these ideas break cannon/lore, then forgive me.

I really like the incorporating of Catholic Tradition into it, especially with the names of ships, planets etc. One thought, what if there was a naval ship/flagship/specialty gun ship that was in the shape of a massive cross? From the pics of the ships in star trek, it would look more like a Halo or Warhammer ship rather then Star Trek persay (more blocky then sleek), but would also be a home grown naval design. The 'flying cathedral' design if you will, another one of the crazy Kephan ideas lol.

The Kephans, what is their main economy? They seem to have planets that are really rich in resources, and trade makes a big part of their economy it seems. If so, they remind me alot of Venice, a small country wedged between two massive nations (HRE and Byzantine, vs the Federation and Klingon), with both empires wanting to influence/take them but unable to due to preoccupations and the threat that the other would get involved. A niche arrangement where the venitians were able to make a trade empire between the two large ones, bringing resources from one to the other, as well as moving people/soldiers around. If the Kephans were in a similar situation, then they would possible be in a prime spot to be a third party trade group, able to move trade goods and resources between the three main factions (especially if they are not all friendly at the time, able to swoop in and keep trade going). This in turn would finance and necessitate a massive navy, to guard the trade ships, as well as to move the goods in the first place. Thus, even small, if they have a niche like this, woudl be a valid reason why they would have a large navy, and one that woudl not only be a conglomeration of cast of ships, but one that would be able to rival that of the other fleets.

I am assuming by reading into this alot that the main faith is Catholic in these nation. As such, how would that look/effect things? Would society stop work on Sunday as a holy day (and also stop work on all Holy Days), and thus the time would increase for large projects like ship construction? Would there be clergy who are gov advisors, papacy moved from Earth to this world (making a papacy in exile feeling, thus a constant reminder every mass that they pray say facing Earth, but the hierarchy is seperate from there?), celebrations like feast days and such. Missionaries, are they actively going out to the other worlds to spread the gospel? Pilgrimages to saint locations on these worlds, but also possible back to Earth to Israel and Rome, as well as Fatima and Lourdes. If they are Catholic, and trads at that as a society (not everyone but the majority), would latin be widespread and kind of their 'language' with english or whatever the common language spoken as the secondary? (Could make for some fun interactions with visitors not familiar with a dead language from hundreds of years ago still being the primary common tongue, add to the idea of the crazies).

Honestly has my mind racing right now on two concepts. One, what Catholicism would look like in space (Mass on space crafts, people wearing the best clothes they have at that time, thus more in line with what we see in Star Trek and say Star Wars for fancy clothes, attending a latin mass with the priest in the ancient garb, candles, incense, organ etc). Two, what a small planet, sub entity in this group would be like, like a tiny ally to the Kephans who are slightly more zealous, more the crusade for earth. Have their own (small) navy, army etc, one planet or two, nothing large enough to actually attempt war, but still have a zeal for spreading the faith and reclaiming Earth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sword of St. Michael's post:
  • HailGilbert
(05-06-2021, 12:49 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: Read through the three links (the ship page, chapters 1-4, and the Kephan Unity one). Really awesome idea, well done!

Couple thoughts to mull over. I'm not at all familiar with Star Trek, so if any of these ideas break canon/lore, then forgive me.

No problem at all, Sword. This will be a multi-part answer, so please bear with me on this. And as always, thank you in advance.

Right off the bat, the best thing is to refer you to the (mea maxima culpa) Wikipedia article on Star Trek itself. I'm most familiar with the Original Series, also known by the initials TOS. The quality of the series, both on TV and film, has declined drastically over the years. It is even worse now since the Cultural Marxists have tightened their stranglehold with trash like Star Trek: Discovery, Picard and Lower Decks.

For now, here is the Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek
(05-06-2021, 12:49 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: I really like the incorporating of Catholic Tradition into it, especially with the names of ships, planets etc. One thought, what if there was a naval ship/flagship/specialty gun ship that was in the shape of a massive cross? From the pics of the ships in Star Trek, it would look more like a Halo or Warhammer ship rather then Star Trek per say (more blocky then sleek), but would also be a home grown naval design. The 'flying cathedral'' design if you will, another one of the crazy Kephan ideas LOL.

The Kephan Unity Star Navy (KUSN) has two navies in effect.

The Junk Navy is composed of Federation and Klingon castoffs they secretly rescued from their respective scrapyards, then rebuilt and refurbished.

The Homebuilt Navy is composed of ships copying and combining Federation and Klingon parts and technology. The same would be done for Orion ships but not as much.

Best example of the latter is the Gryphon-class heavy cruiser. It simply combines the saucer section of the Constitution CA with the rear hull of the D-7 CA. This is the ship type that the crew of HHS Mount Carmel operates.

The Federation's Star Fleet first named it the Miracle-class, it is said, for “it was a miracle it flew above one-quarter impulse power without exploding.”

Their Klingon counterparts first called it the Mutant-class, it was claimed, for “it was unnatural to put an Earthling head on a Klingon body.”

The KUSN christened it the Gryphon-class, for the mythical mystical beast that was half-lion, half-eagle. The lion was the “king of the beasts”, the eagle was the “king of the birds”. “Put them together and you have an emperor,” the ship's inventor said.

More to come. :-)
(05-06-2021, 12:49 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: The Kephans, what is their main economy? They seem to have planets that are really rich in resources, and trade makes a big part of their economy it seems.

If so, they remind me a lot of Venice, a small country wedged between two massive nations (HRE and Byzantine vs the Federation and Klingon), with both empires wanting to influence/take them but unable to due to preoccupations and the threat that the other would get involved. A niche arrangement where the Venetians were able to make a trade empire between the two large ones, bringing resources from one to the other, as well as moving people/soldiers around.

If the Kephans were in a similar situation, then they would possible be in a prime spot to be a third party trade group, able to move trade goods and resources between the three main factions (especially if they are not all friendly at the time, able to swoop in and keep trade going). This in turn would finance and necessitate a massive navy, to guard the trade ships, as well as to move the goods in the first place. Thus, even small, if they have a niche like this, would be a valid reason why they would have a large navy, and one that would not only be a conglomeration of cast-off ships, but one that would be able to rival that of the other fleets.

The Kephans believe in and promote the Distributism of Belloc, Chesterton and Solzhenitsyn. Since they are closer to the Galactic Core than, for example, the Romulans and Gorns, there are more and richer planets to build up their economy. The Orions are their oldest trading partner and the first Galactic Power to recognize them as an independent nation state. The majority of trade deals are with them.

The Unity and the Federation are officially in a state of war, though neither side has fired a shot at each other in anger except in the occasional skirmish. So any commerce between them would happen "under the table", so to speak. Trade with both the Klingons and Romulans occurs much slower due to distance or risk of pirate attacks. For the Gorns and Tholians, it usually is a once-yearly convoy trip.

More to come.
(05-06-2021, 12:49 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: I am assuming by reading into this a lot that the main faith is Catholic in these nation. As such, how would that look/affect things?

Would society stop work on Sunday as a holy day (and also stop work on all Holy Days), and thus the time would increase for large projects like ship construction?

Would there be clergy who are gov. advisors, papacy moved from Earth to this world (making a papacy in exile feeling, thus a constant reminder every mass that they pray say facing Earth, but the hierarchy is separate from there?), celebrations like feast days and such.

Missionaries, are they actively going out to the other worlds to spread the gospel? Pilgrimages to saint locations on these worlds, but also possible back to Earth to Israel and Rome, as well as Fatima and Lourdes.

If they are Catholic, and trads at that as a society (not everyone but the majority), would Latin be widespread and kind of their 'language' with English or whatever the common language spoken as the secondary? (Could make for some fun interactions with visitors not familiar with a dead language from hundreds of years ago still being the primary common tongue, add to the idea of the 'crazies').

Honestly has my mind racing right now on two concepts.

One, what Catholicism would look like in space (Mass on space crafts, people wearing the best clothes they have at that time, thus more in line with what we see in Star Trek and say Star Wars for fancy clothes, attending a Latin mass with the priest in the ancient garb, candles, incense, organ etc).

Two, what a small planet, sub entity in this group would be like, like a tiny ally to the Kephans who are slightly more zealous, more the crusade for earth. Have their own (small) navy, army etc, one planet or two, nothing large enough to actually attempt war, but still have a zeal for spreading the faith and reclaiming Earth.

Yes, Traditional Catholicism is the majority faith in the Unity. Even their starships are named as HHS or "His Holiness' Starship". BTW, so far, nobody else on the threads on the Unity have asked what HHS means. So yes, no work on Sundays or Holy Days, ships have their chaplains. Latin is ONE of the official Unity languages. The others are Greek, Hebrew, Old Slavonic, Federation Standard (descended from English), French, Spanish, Orion, Andorian and Klingon. The Papacy, however, is still in the Vatican. Put it this way, they've learned from the Avignon Exile not to do that again.

Pilgrimages to Earth, however, aren't done. Contrary to their public stance supporting "freedom of religion", the Federation government is still very anti-Traditional Catholic. They just don't make it explicit so as to not tick off the hundreds of worlds that are Federation members. Meaning any missionaries that the Unity sends have to go "under the radar", just like they did in Shakespeare's England or Medieval Japan.

As for point Two in what you were thinking, that does happen with the creation of the Unity's distant ally, the Independent Economic Confederation (IEC). Only that in it's early years, it's more concentrated on it's survival between the Klingons and Romulans as a neutral "buffer state". Still, no doubt, they'd get missionaries to their worlds as well as back on Occupied Earth.

I hope this answers your question, Sword of St. Michael. Many thanks for them and please keep me in your prayers. God speed!
Speaking of that earlier post on the Unity's new and distant ally, here is the post written on them from March 2020. Would appreciate comments on it and thank you in advance.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

OPERATION: BALANCE BEAM

The Triangle statelets provided the Kephans opportunities for both trade and political sympathy for their cause. No one dreamed they’d be behind the creation of a new statelet and a new ally against the Federation. That included the Unity itself.

In the early years of the Twenty-Third Century, Unity traders and diplomats sent out feelers among the region’s independent worlds. They discovered the settlements below the boundaries of the Mantiev Colonial Association (MCA) feared the Klingons or Romulans would swallow them up. In each case, their main concerns were preserving their independence and the ability to trade with both major powers.

Both empires needed the raw materials they produced. Both empires could also overwhelm them with their fleets and occupying troops. But they couldn’t afford to risk another war between them here, for fear of Federation involvement as well as the drain on their respective economies. Furthermore, the Klingon presence was mostly composed of older smaller ships, risking defeat and disgrace in any future skirmishes. The Romulan presence gave an appearance of strength hiding a lack of ships and troops to enforce their will.

Over the years, information trickled in to Unity authorities from traders within the southern Triangle. Lack of Federation influence due to distance and politics spelled opportunity for Kephan operatives, few as they were. Their best man in the field was itinerant trader Crassus Plimpton, reputed to be a quick study of personality and character in potential customers. His assistant Paulo Pentimento was the quiet prayerful anti-type to his loud and boisterous boss.

On Canchicka, the richest world in that region, Plimpton made successful contacts with their trade authority and their counterparts from Aariss, Thisisit, New Paradise, Fooled Again and Zannaduu IV. He discovered their common concerns while negotiating deals for Kephan goods with them. His downfall came during public celebrations with them involving Romulan ale, which he couldn’t handle. Pentimento cleaned up Plimpton’s messes, apologizing for his boss’s embarrassing actions.

His final scandal came during a celebration of the anniversary of the founding of the Forall, Canchicka’s parliament. A drunken Plimpton in his speech kept mispronouncing the planet’s name as Kamchatka, which was part of Russia’s Far East. Local authorities arrested and deported him back to the Unity, leaving an unprepared Pentimento as it’s voice in the region. Quick thinking and much prayer gave the young man ideas to “make lemonade out of these rotten lemons” as he put it.

Gathering the representatives from the six worlds Plimpton dealt with, Pentimento proposed they join together in a formal economic alliance. Pointing out to them their common problems dealing with two rival empires, he advocated co-operation between their planets for their mutual benefit. When asked about self-defense against future incursions from either side, he said that both empires would be the unwitting partners in that area. This plan was similar to how the Unity built their Star Navy in part using old Federation and Klingon vessels. He called the plan “Balance Beam” after the old Olympic gymnastic competition device.

While waiting for their response, Pentimento met with both Klingon and Romulan diplomats. Pointing out their mutual need for the six worlds’ mineral wealth as well as their mutual mistrust, he proposed both empires give this new alliance their oldest and weakest ships. Caught unawares of this and asked why, the Kephan said this new alliance would act as a “buffer state” between them. As a neutral power, it would serve as a safe meeting place for future negotiations between their empires. Furthermore, both sides could get rid of old military inventory they no longer needed. But each side would send equal amounts of ships so as not to risk “losing face” or the appearance of favoritism to the other side. This would also apply to any freighters that they thought outlasted their usefulness.

When asked about the proposed new state’s foreign policy, Pentimento said it would stay neutral in the civil war plaguing the Mantiev Colonial Association. Nor would it ally with the Federation or the Imperial Klingon States due to both distance and the desire to stay independent of everyone. They would also trade with everyone and any income earned would concentrate on improving infrastructure.

Finally, he proposed that both empires jointly build an advanced spaceport over Canchicka, which would be the capitol of the new state. This would be another front where each side would keep tabs on the other. Intrigued, the Klingon and Romulan diplomats sent the proposal to their superiors for their answer.

In the meantime, the New Paradise representative contacted the OFMA embassy on his homeworld. Filling them in on the proposed alliance, he asked if they “wanted in on the deal”. He added that they’d get ahead of their kin in the Orion Free States for any huge business deals. Shocked but excited at the prospect of new markets for their goods, the OFMA ambassador himself flew to Canchicka.

Cornering Pentimento when they met, he offered to add whatever old Orion ships the new alliance would take. A further offer was made to finance the spaceport’s construction if either empire refused to do so. Grateful, the Kephan trader waited for the responses to his proposal.

They weren’t long in coming, for by the next week all six worlds agreed to the plan. A governing council of two representatives from each world would meet yearly on Canchicka to set policy. Meanwhile the Klingon and Romulan emissaries returned with word from their masters. They said it was too early to think about jointly building the spaceport but had no objection to the OFMA bearing that burden. They agreed to donate the old but usable ships immediately.

So on Stardate 2/2505.13, the Independent Economic Confederation (IEC) was born.

The Klingons donated three K-17A Death Stalker-class scouts, a squadron of six K-6C Administrator gunboats and six W-2A Koreba warp shuttles. Two G-8A Trader’s Game-class freighters and one G-3B Baka Re-class freighter would also be sent each year for three years.

The Romulans gave three S-3 Free Flight Type 3 scouts, a squadron of six P-2 Ranajmar Type One cutters and six H-4 Praetor Type Two warp shuttles. Two I-4 Graffler Type 3-class freighters and one I-7 Vespin Type One freighter would also be sent each year for three years.

The OFMA sent three Freelancer blockade runners to the new nation. One Dwarfstar MK II freighter would also be sent each year for three years.

All donated armed ships to the IEC were organized as three “defense squadrons”. They were each composed of one Freelancer, one Death Stalker, one Free Flight, two Administrators and two Ranajmars. All would be painted bright light blue to distinguish them from their original makers.

All donated freighters to the IEC were grouped as three “commerce squadrons”. They were each composed of two Trader’s Games, two Grafflers, one Baka Re, one Vespin and one Dwarfstar. They would also have a similar paint scheme.

Each IEC world would get two warp shuttles each of both classes for diplomatic missions.

Word of the new statelet’s birth soon reached the Federation along with who was behind it. Star Fleet Intelligence (SFI) was doubly furious when this information came through their arch-rival Section 31. In light of this, they created the “Kephan Desk” to deal with the Unity. Nonetheless, it’s existence was revealed only on a need-to-know basis. It would be the least funded of all “Desks” in SFI. It would also gain a reputation as “punishment duty” for incompetents and malcontents in their ranks.

When news of the IEC’s birth reached the Kephan Congress, they were astonished at who was behind it all. Asked why he did it, Pentimento said he always wanted to reduce the risk of war in the Galaxy. He quoted from the Sermon On The Mount: “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God”. He wanted to be seen as such in the eyes of God. In light of this, he accepted their offer as the Unity’s ambassador to the IEC.