Is Tobacco Actually Addictive?
I have smoked something like seven or eight times now, and have never developed anything that I would call an "addiction" or dependency or an urge to smoke again. I have usually smoke in social situations, and I generally look stupid when I do it so there might be a little bit of psychological conditioning going on.
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp
Depends on the form and how often it's used.
Yes it certainly is, both physically and mentally.

In the past 35 to 40 years I have quit a few times. Once in basic training, once for 10 years starting when my wife got pregnant with our son, and once for a couple of years which ended about a month before my dad passed away.

In the process of beginning to quit again, for hopefully the 4th and final time.
[-] The following 4 users Like farronwolf's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, jack89, jovan66102, MacPasquale
(04-20-2021, 10:09 PM)farronwolf Wrote: Yes it certainly is, both physically and mentally.

In the past 35 to 40 years I have quit a few times.  Once in basic training, once for 10 years starting when my wife got pregnant with our son, and once for a couple of years which ended about a month before my dad passed away.

In the process of beginning to quit again, for hopefully the 4th and final time.

Good luck! It took me two heart attacks and two hospitalisations from COPD to get me to finally quit six years ago. I'm still addicted to nicotine, but I no longer smoke. I use snus. Someone said I'd get mouth cancer. My doctor said that my heart or my lungs would kill me long before I developed cancer, so to keep using snus if it kept me from smoking.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, farronwolf, J Michael
Yes. If you keep messing around with it you'll probably get hooked. I suggest you don't dabble.

I smoked cigarettes and/or dipped Copenhagen for 20 plus years. I quit about 14 or 15 years ago after my son told me he didn't want me to die young. He wasn't even Catholic at the time and throwing around all that guilt. I should have known he'd convert.
[-] The following 3 users Like jack89's post:
  • CatholicMamato5, ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, jovan66102
I quit smoking a year ago(with a few falls).  Cigarettes are still the first thought on my mind when I wake up.
My word choices are based on sound, not meaning.

Yes, that defeats the purpose of language.
[-] The following 2 users Like MacPasquale's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, jovan66102
I have told my son, who recently turned 18, many times if I ever caught him smoking I would beat his ass like a grown man.
[-] The following 1 user Likes farronwolf's post:
  • jovan66102
(04-20-2021, 10:41 PM)MacPasquale Wrote: I quit smoking a year ago(with a few falls).  Cigarettes are still the first thought on my mind when I wake up.

My weak point is when I get in the car to drive somewhere. The first thing I used to do before pulling out was to light a cigarette. In fact, I quit for a few months after my first hospitalisation with COPD. As I was being driven to the ER because I couldn't breathe, I started to light a cigarette. I stopped, and thought, 'What the hell are you doing? You can't breathe and you're lighting a cigarette!?' 

That kept me from smoking for a few months until I hit a period of high stress. It took the next stay in hospital and almost going to meet my Maker to finally get me to quit for good.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • MacPasquale
(04-20-2021, 10:52 PM)farronwolf Wrote: I have told my son,  who recently turned 18, many times if I ever caught him smoking I would beat his ass like a grown man.

You know, the funny thing is that I didn't start until I was in my 20s. When I was a teenager, all my friends started smoking as an act of rebellion. I couldn't because my parents (my step-dad had never smoked, and my mum had quit when she was in her early 30s) told me that whilst they thought smoking was a filthy and ridiculously expensive habit, it was my choice. Ergo, when my buddies offered me a cigarette, I'd turn it down, saying 'My folks don't care if I smoke'. 

You'd think I would've had more sense than to start, given that my dad died at 42 from lung problems after smoking for almost 30 years, leaving my mother a widow with a five year old and a ten day old baby. But, like all young people, I thought I was immortal.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
I smoked a few years and quit on the request of my wife. I still will smoke a cigar every now and then.

I miss it and frankly if it weren't for my wife and son, I'd be smoking but whatever...I eat enough red meat and do little exercise I have enough risks to give me a heart attack I don't need to add to it with cigarettes.

Yes cigarette smoking is addictive...even though I quit cold turkey I still get euphoric recalls whenever I watch Mad Men.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • MacPasquale