Is Tobacco Actually Addictive?
Yes, it is addictive.  More so if you have what's known, rightly or wrongly so, as an addictive personality.

I started smoking in my senior year (yeah...cigarettes, too :-) ) of high school.  Not the greatest thing to do if you also have asthma!  But I didn't let that stop me, stubborn jerk that I was/am.  Quit for about 3 years in my mid-twenties.  Quit again in my mid- thirties.  I've been on the wagon now for nearly 40 years.  And no asthma for the last 30. 

Every once in a while I still find myself craving it, especially if I smell someone's cigarette smoke.  But then I remember how wonderful it is to be able to breathe and how much cigarettes just plain stink!

The thought of snuff or chewing tobacco has always disgusted me.  Weird, eh?
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan
(04-20-2021, 11:38 PM)J Michael Wrote: The thought of snuff or chewing tobacco has always disgusted me.  Weird, eh?
I chewed and dipped snuff in an effort to quit/cut down smoking. It disgusted my wife, who also smoked at the time tho' she quit a year or so ago, so I quit. Snus isn't like chewing or dipping. There's no spitting involved and I just discretely spit out the pouch when it's time to eat, so there's nothing to upset her.

***ETA*** Besides, the snus I use tastes like Swedish salmiak liquorice, which is my favourite sweet. That's why my favourite chew was always Days-O-Work, because it tasted like black liquorice.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
I think the only time I had a serious craving to smoke was two Lents ago. I had decided that I would smoke during that Lent, and didn't. But I had a strong urge so I went to the gas station and got a 5 pack of Black and Milds. I smoke two and was halfway through the third in about 15 minutes and threw them away.

I didn't smoke again for a year.
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp
Back in the early days of my career(s), I was the Technical Director of a CardioPulmonary department at a regional hospital in Central Florida. Among my duties was to lead a discussion group we had at the hospitals for people with lung diseases. COPD, (aka: COLD in the old days) was probably the most common ailment of those who attended. Every one of those were smokers and a few had quit due to their disease states. Smoking is a Psychological addiction as well as a physical addiction. There is that routine, that ceremonial thingy about smoking: Do I have enough to get to work, do I have them on me, should I get more, in case I run out, that friend will get on me for bumming from him...ya all of that. I'd read that Caffeine and Cocaine were about equally addicting, but nicotine can be worse, because like caffeine, it is everywhere and easily accessible. Unlike caffeine, nicotine gives you a 'rush', something that sort of fades with exposure, but the user still craves it and unknowingly, with each cigar, cigarette, whatever, seeks that rush feeling. Ya don't get it without a lengthy abstinence, but your hooked anyway.

In those days I came to realize a truism that is also true: Quitting smoking is easy, keeping quit is really hard. I smoked for 20 years, Marlboro box, pack a day, everyday and sometimes a few more, depending how the night went. It was a great excuse to take a break. Like many of my colleagues, I smoked in my office and at lunch, the usual. I went back for a couple of months, but haven't smoked a cigarette or cigar (ya liked my Arturo Fuente, Curly Heads) for well over 30 years. Smoke from tobacco makes be a bit ill, these days and I nurture that aversion. The toll can be way to high on one's health to take up the habit again.

"...curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get!" ...Lennon
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
[-] The following 4 users Like Zedta's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, J Michael, jovan66102, MacPasquale
Yes, very addictive, and terrible for you. I was a smoker back about 13 years ago, but managed to quit fairly easily after taking up rigorous exercise (namely running). Your lungs want to be treated well. Don’t deliberately fill them with smoke.
[-] The following 2 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • J Michael, jovan66102
(04-21-2021, 01:23 PM)Zedta Wrote:  There is that routine, that ceremonial thingy about smoking: Do I have enough to get to work, do I have them on me, should I get more, in case I run out, that friend will get on me for bumming from him...ya all of that.
Personally, the ceremonial aspect made it harder to quit than the withdrawal. 

So many acts now feel incomplete without being  ratified by a smoke.
My word choices are based on sound, not meaning.

Yes, that defeats the purpose of language.
[-] The following 4 users Like MacPasquale's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, jack89, PilgrimMichelangelo, Zedta
Yes it is. I didn’t smoke until I was 20 then smoked for 10 years. I tried many times to quit only to fall back into it. It’s both chemically addictive and habitual. Habitual in the sense that you get used to the ritual involved with smoking and long after chemical dependence has been broken you may crave the “ritual” of smoking. I finally quit shortly after my 30th birthday and have gone 3 years without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 3 users Like nightshade's post:
  • J Michael, jack89, Zedta
Some people are prone to addictions, and others aren't. Tobacco can be used moderately, or it can be abused and be highly addictive for some (like me).
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • PilgrimMichelangelo, Zedta
As mentioned, yes it can be addictive.

Really anything can be, be it sugar, coffee, alcohol, tobacco etc. Some people are more prone to getting addicted to a chemical or some substance then others.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sword of St. Michael's post:
  • Zedta
I'm one of those people that can have a cigar and not smoke one for 6 months and not bat an eye. I do agree that they can be very addictive though.

Interestingly enough nicotine does show promise regarding enhanced brain function and possible help in disease prevention with Parkinsons as an example. There are a few positive studies out on the subject.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio