Democrats: Demand End to Filibuster; Creation of 51st State (DC) Bill just passed!
(04-23-2021, 11:22 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 11:06 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 11:01 AM)RidgeSprinter Wrote: I hope it happens soon.  Puerto Rico is long past due for stateship.

Sure, Jan.  And then Guam, and then CHAZ, and then San Francisco, and so on.

Because leaving people to be quasi-citizens indefinitely is fair and just?  Do people have a right to a homeland, or don't they?

I'm all for turning them loose if they don't want to become states, but we ought to either make them full citizens or let them be fully independent (for the real territories.  Granting it to CHAZ and SF is just stupid).

The Puerto Ricans can have the vote when they start paying taxes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/...t-exactly/

And DC ought to be given back to Maryland, not that the good people of Maryland would really want it, but we all have to make sacrifices.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Zedta
(04-23-2021, 01:52 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 11:01 AM)RidgeSprinter Wrote: I hope it happens soon.  Puerto Rico is long past due for stateship.

Because leaving people to be quasi-citizens indefinitely is fair and just?  Do people have a right to a homeland, or don't they?

I'm all for turning them loose if they don't want to become states, but we ought to either make them full citizens or let them be fully independent (for the real territories.  Granting it to CHAZ and SF is just stupid).

And DC ought to be given back to Maryland, not that the good people of Maryland would really want it, but we all have to make sacrifices.

Make them full citizens and they will start paying taxes.  But if we're going to hold them at arm's length, we shouldn't withhold their ability to form their own alliances and trade deals.

I'd actually be fine with Maryland taking DC back, although most of us don't want them.  But there are enough conservatives in Maryland that we could easily have three GOP representatives instead of the one we have now that O'Malley wasn't able to gerrymander away.  Having all of the DC population, even though they'd vote mostly Dem, would give another rep to Dems, but they'd have to give two back to the GOP.  Dems net loss 1.  At least, until another O'Malley takes office and makes Maryland the gerrymandering laughingstock of the country.
(04-23-2021, 01:52 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:

Like I said before, we already have Baltimore.  That's far more than enough of a sacrifice for 1 tiny state to make. 

On the other hand, giving DC back to Maryland could just provide enough impetus for the movement for Western Maryland counties, Carroll County onwards, to actually go ahead and secede from Maryland and form another state.  Yay--2 more Republican senators :-) !
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan
[-] The following 2 users Like J Michael's post:
  • Melkite, Zedta
random thought, think they are trying to push this now so that IF it gets passed there will be two more senate seats for the mid terms?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sword of St. Michael's post:
  • Zedta
(04-23-2021, 04:26 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: random thought, think they are trying to push this now so that IF it gets passed there will be two more senate seats for the mid terms?

Does a bear crap in the woods?

Is the Pope Catholic?
[-] The following 3 users Like Paul's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, J Michael, Zedta
(04-23-2021, 04:53 PM)Paul Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 04:26 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: random thought, think they are trying to push this now so that IF it gets passed there will be two more senate seats for the mid terms?

Does a bear crap in the woods?

Is the Pope Catholic?
Is He?
Paul Wrote:Is the Pope Catholic?

I'll need to use a lifeline to answer this one.

If a Jesuit switches orders, does he need to get baptized into the Church?
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden