Covid Prevention and Treatment
Scattered across this board in various discussions of Covid have been some suggestions about prevention and/or treatment.  Covid is real, and there are people who get it.  Depending on age, overall health, co-morbidities, etc. it can be virtually nothing to worry about to sometimes being deadly.

For those of us who do not want to be guinea pigs and get vaccinated, there are a variety of options in terms of preventing Covid or treating it if you get it.  Some are listed below.  I'm just posting the links as to post each page or article would take too much space here.

https://swprs.org/on-the-treatment-of-covid-19/
https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/i-have-covid...nt-options  (beware...this is an official US gummint site :-) :-) )
https://www.doctorbhatia.com/treatment/a...-covid-19/
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan
[-] The following 3 users Like J Michael's post:
  • DNJC.org, SacraCor714, Zedta
These are great! Thanks for sharing. I've come across the vitamin D and Zinc before but heard about boosting your Vitamin C.

The key seems to be making sure if you get it you don't get bad pneumonia. Years ago I knew an old ER doctor who swore by bactroban in the nose for preventing certain lung infections as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like DNJC.org's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, J Michael
Homeopathy, in the hands of a decent, qualified homeopath, has an excellent record in the treatment of pneumonia.  It literally saved my wife's life when she had pneumonia many years ago, wasn't responding to antibiotic treatment and the hospital sent her home...basically to die, because they could do no more for her.  Within a couple days of taking a well selected homeopathic remedy she was "right as rain".
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan
[-] The following 2 users Like J Michael's post:
  • Ad Jesum Per Mariam, DNJC.org
(05-04-2021, 11:00 PM)J Michael Wrote: Homeopathy, in the hands of a decent, qualified homeopath, has an excellent record in the treatment of pneumonia.  It literally saved my wife's life when she had pneumonia many years ago, wasn't responding to antibiotic treatment and the hospital sent her home...basically to die, because they could do no more for her.  Within a couple days of taking a well selected homeopathic remedy she was "right as rain".

That's amazing! Would you mind sharing the regimen?
(05-05-2021, 08:50 AM)DNJC.org Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 11:00 PM)J Michael Wrote: Homeopathy, in the hands of a decent, qualified homeopath, has an excellent record in the treatment of pneumonia.  It literally saved my wife's life when she had pneumonia many years ago, wasn't responding to antibiotic treatment and the hospital sent her home...basically to die, because they could do no more for her.  Within a couple days of taking a well selected homeopathic remedy she was "right as rain".

That's amazing!  Would you mind sharing the regimen?

The remedy used was Bryonia.  I don't remember the potency or how many doses she took.  BUT...the remedy that worked for her is almost irrelevant.  In homeopathy each case is treated differently and the remedies are chosen on the basis of the precise symptom picture being manifested by each individual patient and how that matches with the symptoms that various remedies are able to produce in well people in a controlled experiment called a "proving", NOT on the basis of the name of the disease or complaint.  (There's more to it than that, though---it's a complicated process and while for minor acute illnesses almost anyone can learn to "prescribe" homeopathically, chronic illness or severe acute illness is a whole other kettle of fish.)

How is a qualified homeopath defined?

It is well known that people might recover on their own when medical treatments do not work. I would bet that your wife's outcome had nothing to do with homeopathy.

In other words, she had an immune system that the homeopath didn't injure.
Quote:How is a qualified homeopath defined?

Good question.  There are a number of answers, short and long, depending too on who you ask.  I'll give you a short answer.  A "qualified" homeopath is a practitioner of homeopathy who has undergone a thorough training in all aspects of homeopathy (e.g. homeopathic "philosophy", materia medica, case taking, case analysis, repertory use, etc.) grounded solidly on Hahnemann's Organon of Medicine https://drcherylkasdorf.com/wp-content/u...dition.pdf .  They will also have at the very least a basic knowledge of biology,  human anatomy and physiology, the basics of conventional medicine, etc.  This usually takes about 3-5 years of study.  Then there is apprenticeship, supervision, continued education, etc.  

Different countries have different requirements, some have none at all.  Many homeopaths are M.D.'s, D.C.'s, RN's, and others with conventional medical qualifications.  Many others do not hold conventional medical qualifications but are certified and registered with various organizations. 

If you're really interested, have a look at the website for the North American Society of Homeopaths https://homeopathy.org/ , probably the main registering body of homeopaths in the U.S. that is not a medical organization.  There is also the American Institute of Homeopathy, https://homeopathyusa.org/ for licensed medical practitioners.  Other organizations exist but those are the two main ones in the U.S.

In the U.K., probably the main body representing and registering "professional" (as opposed to medically licensed) homeopaths is the Society of Homeopaths, https://homeopathy-soh.org/ , of which I was a registered member.  Licensed medical doctors in the U.K. who want to learn and practice homeopathy generally study with and become members of the Faculty of Homeopathy https://facultyofhomeopathy.org/

In India, homeopathy is a state recognized medical system that operates parallel to the conventional medical system and is very widely used.  The extremely low cost of the remedies, as well as its effectiveness would account for that, I believe.

Well....that turned out to be longer than I intended.  I hope it answers your question.  Let me know if it doesn't or if you have other questions.

Quote:It is well known that people might recover on their own when medical treatments do not work. I would bet that your wife's outcome had nothing to do with homeopathy.
This is true.  There are people who "might" recover on their own....and some actually do.  Placebo is also a very powerful "remedy", shown to be effective up to about 30% of the time.  Better than many drugs or other treatments.

I would bet that you're wrong about Mrs. JM's outcome.  Her homeopath was a licensed M.D. who trained in homeopathy for a number of years in Switzerland.  She has also responded extremely well to subsequent homeopathic treatment for various things.  Why would you even suggest that her outcome would have nothing to do with homeopathy?  And from being literally at death's door one day to up and walking around, breathing freely and clearly, with abundant energy just a couple days after taking the remedy?

Quote:In other words, she had an immune system that the homeopath didn't injure.
What does that even mean?  A homeopath, if practicing homeopathy, almost by definition cannot injure an immune system.

(05-12-2021, 12:40 PM)J Michael Wrote:   Why would you even suggest that her outcome would have nothing to do with homeopathy?

Because it is ineffective in every sense of the word.

It takes the "do no harm" part very seriously, which is where it came from. Hahnemann was right to be skeptical of the conventional medicine of his day and to take a path where harm was avoided at all costs.

Unfortunately, like cures like isn't any better than humorism.

I realize that cause and effect are hard to establish and you might have a very personal investment in this.

Quote:What does that even mean?  A homeopath, if practicing homeopathy, almost by definition cannot injure an immune system.

That is true, they cannot injure or fix anything.

By definition, it is ineffective.

There are many ineffective folk medicines out there: India and China are full of them (Chinese culture itself has a lot of weird rules about what to consume for different effects). The over-prescription and over-treatment of advanced actual medicine might lead people to look elsewhere for sure, but just because something has imperfect implementation doesn't mean that it is wrong. I also personally suspect any "ritual" which is not scientific in its methods (logical) or consistent with revealed doctrine as being under the influence of other things.

I do believe in minimizing medical intervention when the problem can be fixed at its source or will heal fully on its own, but I don't substitute highly diluted snake oil when I can address the source of the problem or do nothing and get the same result.

I am wholly against any rituals which appeal to hidden powers or powers other than the Lord. I know people who have consulted "witches" for advice and had remarkable results. It could just be chance, but it may be a poisoned gift.

I do not argue with outcomes, but I do not agree with attribution when it is suspect.
(05-12-2021, 04:16 PM)Insanis Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 12:40 PM)J Michael Wrote:   Why would you even suggest that her outcome would have nothing to do with homeopathy?

Because it is ineffective in every sense of the word.

It takes the "do no harm" part very seriously, which is where it came from. Hahnemann was right to be skeptical of the conventional medicine of his day and to take a path where harm was avoided at all costs.

Unfortunately, like cures like isn't any better than humorism.

I realize that cause and effect are hard to establish and you might have a very personal investment in this.

Quote:What does that even mean?  A homeopath, if practicing homeopathy, almost by definition cannot injure an immune system.

That is true, they cannot injure or fix anything.

By definition, it is ineffective.

There are many ineffective folk medicines out there: India and China are full of them (Chinese culture itself has a lot of weird rules about what to consume for different effects). The over-prescription and over-treatment of advanced actual medicine might lead people to look elsewhere for sure, but just because something has imperfect implementation doesn't mean that it is wrong. I also personally suspect any "ritual" which is not scientific in its methods (logical) or consistent with revealed doctrine as being under the influence of other things.

I do believe in minimizing medical intervention when the problem can be fixed at its source or will heal fully on its own, but I don't substitute highly diluted snake oil when I can address the source of the problem or do nothing and get the same result.

I am wholly against any rituals which appeal to hidden powers or powers other than the Lord. I know people who have consulted "witches" for advice and had remarkable results. It could just be chance, but it may be a poisoned gift.

I do not argue with outcomes, but I do not agree with attribution when it is suspect.

Unfortunately, you know not whereof you speak (or write).  And it is true the homeopath fixes or cures nothing.  He/she, after carefully taking the patient's case, selects the most appropriate remedy for that patient at that time and the patient takes it.  The remedy then enables the body to heal itself, to the extent that it can.  So, yeah, the homeopath fixes nothing.

For years, before going on to study homeopathy, I thought it was nothing but quackery.  A friend of mine in Israel convinced me otherwise.   

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, though. Unless you can prove, however, beyond any reasonable doubt that homeopathy is ineffective, especially ineffective by definition, I along with millions of others, including infants and animals who know nothing about it and nothing about placebo, etc, who have benefited from it, very often in profound and tremendous fashion, will just have to vehemently disagree with you.  Ever hear the slogan, "try it, you'll like it"?  I offer that to you :-).

Here's the story of one physician who tried to disprove homeopathy:
Quote:Dr. Constantine Hering
M.D.
(1800-1880)
[Image: constantine-hering.jpg]Dr. Hering is aptly called the 'Father of Homoeopathy' in America. His conversion to Homoeopathy is very interesting. At the age of 17 Dr. Hering became interested in medicine and joined the University of Leipzig, where he was the favorite pupil of the eminent Surgeon, Dr. Henrich Robbi.
At this time, Hahnemann was an eyesore to the stalwarts of orthodox medicine, because 'Organon' was a challenge to their system of medicine. Dr. Robbi was a critic of Hahnemann, and like other physicians ridiculed homoeopathy and Hahnemann.
[Image: leaf-divide.gif]
In 1821, when the campaign against Hahnemann was at its worst, C. Baumgartner, the founder of a publishing house in Leipzig, wanted a book written against Homoeopathy, a book which would quite finish the system. Robbi was asked to write it, but he declined for want of time and recommended his young assistant Hering. Hering set about the work and nearly finished it in the winter of 1822.
But going through Hahnemann's works for the sake of making quotations, he came across the famous 'nota bene for my reviewers' in the preface to the third volume of 'Materia Medica Pura', which said, among other things, "The doctrine appeals not only chiefly, but solely to the verdict of experience - 'repeat the experiments', it cries aloud, repeat them carefully and accurately and you will find the doctrine confirmed at every step' - and it does what no medical doctrine, no system of physic, no so-called therapeutics ever did or could do, it insists upon being judged by the result."
Hering decided to accept the challenge. The first step was to repeat the cinchona experiment. The result was what Hahnemann had predicted. Hering began to see the truth in homoeopathy. Further study of the homoeopathic 'Materia Medica' convinced him about Hahnemann's conclusions. The book against Homoeopathy thus never saw the light of day.
In the winter of 1824, Hering's right forefinger was cut while making a dissection on a dead body. The wound rapidly became gangrenous. In those days such wounds were mostly fatal. The routine orthodox medicines had no effect. Luckily for Hering and for homoeopathy, a disciple of Hahnemann named Kummer persuaded him to take homoeopathic treatment and gave him Arsenicum album. After a few doses he felt better and the gangrene healed completely. Hering was surprised and his interest in homoeopathy knew no bounds. He contacted Hahnemann for further instruction.
Hering received the degree of M.D. from the University of Wuerzburg with highest honors. The theme of his thesis was "De Medicine Future" (The Medicine of Future). Hering arrived in Philadelphia in January 1833. He established a Homoeopathic School at Allentown, Pennsylvania (Allentown Academy). He became a member of the Academy of Natural Sciences, and presented to it his large and valuable zoological collections, including the original Lachesis mutus from South America, the snake with whose poison he had made the first provings of Lachesis.
Hering wrote many articles, monographs and books. He was the Chief Editor of the 'North American Homoeopathic Journal', 'The Homoeopathic News', 'The American Journal of Homoeopathic Materia Medica', and the Journal of the Allentown Academy. He wrote the 'Domestic Physician', and the 'Guiding Symptoms', a monumental work of 10 volumes.
It is in the sphere of drug provings, however, that Hering's effort shines at its best. It has been remarked by Nash and others that if Hering had done nothing else for medicine but the proving of the single drug Lachesis, the world would owe him an everlasting debt of gratitude; that alone would immortalize him.
Dr. Hering proved 72 drugs, out of which the following are the most important: Cantharis, Colchicum, Iodum, Mezereum, Sabadilla, Sabina, Psorinum, Nux moschata, Lachesis, Crotalus, Apis, Hydrophobinum, Phytolacca, Platina, Glonoin, Gelsemium, Kalmia, Ferrum-met, Fluoric acid, and Phosphoric acid.
He enunciated the "Law of Direction of Cure" known popularly as Hering's Law. This describes how "The cure takes place, from center to periphery, from head to extremities, and in the reverse order of the development of the symptoms." Thus Hering took up the work left by his master, Hahnemann, and held the flag of homoeopathy till the last breath of his life.
His only book specifically about basic therapeutics, The Homeopathic Domestic Physician was first published in two parts, in 1835 and 1838. It has served generations of home prescribers.

http://www.wholehealthnow.com/bios/const...ering.html

[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • Ad Jesum Per Mariam
(05-12-2021, 05:16 PM)J Michael Wrote: You're certainly entitled to your opinion.  Unless you can prove, however, beyond any reasonable doubt that homeopathy is ineffective, especially ineffective by definition, I along with millions of others, including infants and animals who know nothing about it and nothing about placebo, etc, who have benefited from it, very often in profound and tremendous fashion, will just have to vehemently disagree with you.

That is not how medical treatment works. One doesn't prove something "beyond a reasonable doubt" that something is ineffective. One proves it is effective.

One can always doubt.

As far as homeopathy goes, that same argument applies to all manner of alternative "treatments", some of which are explicitly witchcraft in intent.

I see well meaning people advocating and swearing by dowsing rods, and other nonsense. That doesn't mean it works. That just means they don't get in the way of finding water (or healing, in the case of homeopathy).

Many people can vehemently disagree with me, but strong emotions are not a rational argument or demonstration of efficacy.