Working on Wall Street Participating in Usury?
I used to work on finance in New York City. I quit two years ago.

An old college is offering potential role at a major Japanese bank where I once worked. Now that I am embracing traditional Catholicism I feel like I am directly participating in usury if i do. Granted, I wouldn't be a banker lending or investing. Rather, I would work in operations pushing paper and what not but still helping the bank indirectly lend money.

Am I over thinking this? I'm not trying to get rich, but I do want to make a decent living to get married and support a large traditional family.

What does the forum think?

As always. Thank you. I will keep you in my prayers.
I personally think that, despite all of the apologetic gymnastics, that this is a teaching that the Church has indeed changed and just doesn't factor in as a sin anymore, unless it is something egregious like exorbitant loan shark type stuff.
Invest in stock market isn't usury or sinful, it can be sinful if the company you invest in does evil things. But the investtment itself has never been condemned by the Church.

Usury is the loan with interest, discunting factors like inflation, in the investment field, the bonds could be usury.
Like Drolo said I'd consider more what the bank invests in than the actual acts of banking itself. If Christians could serve as legionaries in an officially pagan empire without being apostates (so long as they never deny Christ of course) I don't see how being a pencil pusher for a bank would be that bad.
With no king to rule me I owe my fealty only to God.
(04-30-2021, 12:07 AM)HedgeKnight Wrote: Like Drolo said I'd consider more what the bank invests in than the actual acts of banking itself. If Christians could serve as legionaries in an officially pagan empire without being apostates (so long as they never deny Christ of course) I don't see how being a pencil pusher for a bank would be that bad.

Haha interesting point!