Did Pilate Think The Crowd Would Choose To Release Jesus Instead Of Barrabas ?
(05-19-2021, 02:27 PM)Eric F Wrote: I've always wondered about this, Was there any reason for Pilate to even suspect the Jews might choose Jesus over Barrabas. By his actions he would have been a pretty popular guy.
Pilate was looking for a way to set Jesus free. He gave the people the choice of Jesus or a person who was really awful.
I clicked on this because I thought it said, "Did Pilate think the crow"...."hehe, what crow?" thinks I!
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Paul Wrote:The same masses of people who, 5 days earlier, welcomed him into Jerusalem with palm branches.

And I think choosing Barabbas over some other lesser criminal shows that Pilate did think they'd choose Jesus. If he wanted them to choose the other guy, he could have picked someone guilty of some minor crime rather than murder and robbery.

That's part of my thoughts on it as well; it depended upon which masses of Jews were present. The ones who were healed and welcomed Him, or the masses who were most likely influenced by the Pharisees and sadducees? That's one of the things I love about "The Passion," I thought Mel did a great job showing the two groups.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden