Do I lose the holy ghost if I am in a state of mortal sin?
As the title says. I have not been real understanding of this.
Yes. Mortal sin cuts off from the Body (the Church) for which the Holy Ghost flows.
[-] The following 2 users Like Adventus's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, Anon777
(06-09-2021, 04:27 PM)Adventus Wrote: Yes. Mortal sin cuts off from the Body (the Church) for which the Holy Ghost flows.
Okay.  -__-

How hard is it to make an act of perfect contrition?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Anon777's post:
  • Suggestions
Yes, we lose the indwelling of the Holy Ghost when we commit a mortal sin.  This is another reason to avoid mortal sin at all costs.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 2 users Like Clare Brigid's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, Anon777
A Benedictine nun taught us that when we are in grace, our souls are white..the Holy Ghost has alot of room in our soul. She said venial sins put grey splotches on our soul, less room for the Holy Ghost. Mortal sin turns out souls black..no room for Holy Ghost.

I think this is a good analogy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AnaCarolina1's post:
  • jovan66102
(06-09-2021, 04:27 PM)Adventus Wrote: Yes. Mortal sin cuts off from the Body (the Church) for which the Holy Ghost flows.
Mortal sin causes us to lose the indwelling of the Holy Ghost and makes us dead members, but it doesn't cut us off from the Church.  The sin would need to be something like schism, heresy, or apostasy for us to be removed from the Church's Body.
My word choices are based on sound, not meaning.

Yes, that defeats the purpose of language.
[-] The following 7 users Like MacPasquale's post:
  • Adventus, AnaCarolina1, Anon777, Bonaventure, Clare Brigid, HailGilbert, jovan66102
In terms of perfect contrition, my personal method is to do a nightly examine of the day,  and write down things to confess.
I don't even want a venial sin on my soul.

Then I bring a list with me to confession and am truly sorry for what I have done. Then I do my penance with the grace of God.

There may be a more comprehensive way . But for me I believe God accepts my contrition. It may not be perfect but I've done this for years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AnaCarolina1's post:
  • Ambrosiano
(06-09-2021, 04:57 PM)MacPasquale Wrote:
Mortal sin causes us to lose the indwelling of the Holy Ghost and makes us dead members, but it doesn't cut us off from the Church.  The sin would need to be something like schism, heresy, or apostasy for us to be removed from the Church's Body.

Thanks for the correction. I was aware and I can't for the life of me compute why I said Church. 

I know the Church is used as an analogy of the Body and I jumbled it all in my head.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Adventus's post:
  • MacPasquale
(06-09-2021, 04:17 PM)Anon777 Wrote: As the title says. I have not been real understanding of this.
The Holy Ghost is a comforter .
Prudence
The Lord loves you and is waiting for you always to return, just like the father in the prodigal son. Just don't keep Him waiting...
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 2 users Like JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Anon777, shakebox