Vainglory: What is it exactly and what is a good example of it?
I think I might have a problem with vainglory, ( I KNOW I have issues with vanity) Because I often daydream about being a military leader, when I know I am nothing of the sort, because I am often SO...bored that I day dream of military adventures off all types. Is that vainglory? if not what is?
(06-10-2021, 12:01 PM)Anon777 Wrote: I think I might have a problem with vainglory, ( I KNOW I have issues with vanity) Because I often daydream about being a military leader, when I know I am nothing of the sort, because I am often SO...bored that I day dream of military adventures off all types. Is that vainglory? if not what is?

Nah, that's just plain fantasizing, a la Walter Mitty (great short story). It's just a normal response to boredom and self-doubt. If you fill up your life with more productive and useful activities, you will no longer rely on fantasy to bolster your ego.

Vainglory is excessive pride in one's actual accomplishments in the real world, not in the world of daydreams. ESPECIALLY when one gets the idea that one is invulnerable, indispensable, entitled to extravagant and lavish rewards, recognition and privilege, and thinking that one is above the laws that bind ordinary people. Think George Custer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dominus Vobisdu's post:
  • Anon777, The Tax Collector
The outward character of Lebron James or Floyd Mayweather come to mind in sports 

Richard Dawkins from an academic perspective…

Hilary Clinton (we came, we saw,…)

All good examples of people suffering from vainglorious delusions of self importance
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Tax Collector's post:
  • Anon777