Surviving the (Temporary) Dead End
Hey everyone,

Since seeing a psychiatrist and taking new medication, I feel a lot more level headed and stable about life. Learning that I may also have a mild form of autism spectrum disorder, while a bit of a bummer in some regards, has answered a lot of questions about my past behavior, and why I was never quite like most other people. It has also enabled me to know my limitations, and lean more on my natural strengths. That being said, I still face some challenges in life, and I feel the next few years at least could end up being a temporary dead end.

One of my close friends has moved out of town, to another part of the state, while my surgeon friend--who is like a second father to me, is moving across the country. While I know this will be better for both of us in the long run, as he will fit in much better in his new place, and I need to spread my wings, it is still a bummer that I am only down to one person I can visit on a regular basis in person.

I am also leaving school, at least temporarily at the end of this quarter. I just simply can't do online only learning--my grades are usually awful without any imposed structure, and there is also the fact it's not clear my dad can get another job, since he is too old to be hired  by many places, but too young for social security. That means at least for a short while, a year or two, I might have to work to help support my family. I have some college education, including in information technology, but I live in a rural area, and the job selection is very limited. My customer service skills are pretty poor (see: ASD), and hard labor jobs really run me down and exhaust me. When I worked those kind of jobs, I started getting a strange rash on my hands after working with lots of fiberglass for a while just to use one example. Hard labor and customer service is pretty much the only job types out here.

I'm not trying to be a sourpuss--there are a lot of things I enjoy about life, when I make the effort to be mindful about the world actually around me. I am very slowly rebuilding my understanding of God and Christianity into something healthier than what I was given for a long time, and I have a lot of opportunities that a lot of people don't. Still, was wondering if anyone would have any advice or encouragement for what would be some good options for me to look into, career and relationship wise, considering all my limitations right now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Orthodox Andy's post:
  • Anon777, austenbosten, JacafamalaRedux
Instead of college, why not learn a trade you are interested in ? And hustle at a part time job for money? Door dash pays pretty good .

Then once you have your trade--work at that..There is a shortage of skilled workers if you are in USA., Mechanics to plumbing to electrician computer programming and trouble shooting.,and so on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AnaCarolina1's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
I like [b]AnaCarolina1's [/b]idea. It sounds solid. Whatever else, just continue to move forward into some sort of career / occupation that will help you earn some money and keep you out of trouble. God bless and good luck.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • AnaCarolina1
(06-10-2021, 03:34 PM)Orthodox Andy Wrote: Hey everyone,

Since seeing a psychiatrist and taking new medication, I feel a lot more level headed and stable about life. Learning that I may also have a mild form of autism spectrum disorder, while a bit of a bummer in some regards, has answered a lot of questions about my past behavior, and why I was never quite like most other people. It has also enabled me to know my limitations, and lean more on my natural strengths. That being said, I still face some challenges in life, and I feel the next few years at least could end up being a temporary dead end.

One of my close friends has moved out of town, to another part of the state, while my surgeon friend--who is like a second father to me, is moving across the country. While I know this will be better for both of us in the long run, as he will fit in much better in his new place, and I need to spread my wings, it is still a bummer that I am only down to one person I can visit on a regular basis in person.

I am also leaving school, at least temporarily at the end of this quarter. I just simply can't do online only learning--my grades are usually awful without any imposed structure, and there is also the fact it's not clear my dad can get another job, since he is too old to be hired  by many places, but too young for social security. That means at least for a short while, a year or two, I might have to work to help support my family. I have some college education, including in information technology, but I live in a rural area, and the job selection is very limited. My customer service skills are pretty poor (see: ASD), and hard labor jobs really run me down and exhaust me. When I worked those kind of jobs, I started getting a strange rash on my hands after working with lots of fiberglass for a while just to use one example. Hard labor and customer service is pretty much the only job types out here.

I'm not trying to be a sourpuss--there are a lot of things I enjoy about life, when I make the effort to be mindful about the world actually around me. I am very slowly rebuilding my understanding of God and Christianity into something healthier than what I was given for a long time, and I have a lot of opportunities that a lot of people don't. Still, was wondering if anyone would have any advice or encouragement for what would be some good options for me to look into, career and relationship wise, considering all my limitations right now.
as someone with Asperger's I can relate to much of what you said. It is hard to make way without structure in life, and I have considered religious life even, SIMPLY because of the structure, and I can relate to not being good at customer service, though I am getting a bit better social skills. (I hope) I have myself been trying to slowly drag myself from the quagmire that was life before my faith. I am reluctant to learn about my faith, because I am afraid of being taught wrong or getting something wrong. What I have tried to do...is see God as a little child. I...think it is working, I hope. I am better than I was several months ago when I was baptized. I am not as discouraged...or suicidal. I think if anything I would be a lay hermit, only going out to Church and do errands while sanctifying my day...if it is a position. I am not one who is a good teacher or minister, I do not think. But I am a giver...to the point where I can easily be taken advantage of by others, where they use me until I am bled dry.
(06-10-2021, 05:19 PM)AnaCarolina1 Wrote: Instead of college, why not learn a trade you are interested in ? And hustle at a part time job for money? Door dash pays pretty good .

Then once you have your trade--work at that..There is a shortage of skilled workers if you are in USA., Mechanics to plumbing to electrician  computer programming and trouble shooting.,and so on.

Well I do actually have a two year degree in operating computer controlled industrial machinery. But the more I did that job and others like it in the workforce, the more I found out I found the work depressing for me.
(06-10-2021, 08:01 PM)Orthodox Andy Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 05:19 PM)AnaCarolina1 Wrote: Instead of college, why not learn a trade you are interested in ? And hustle at a part time job for money? Door dash pays pretty good .

Then once you have your trade--work at that..There is a shortage of skilled workers if you are in USA., Mechanics to plumbing to electrician  computer programming and trouble shooting.,and so on.

Well I do actually have a two year degree in operating computer controlled industrial machinery. But the more I did that job and others like it in the workforce, the more I found out I found the work depressing for me.

That can be a difficulty. But in all seriousness, could the paychecks outweigh the depression, at least for now?

I hope it' okay posting advise in the men's forum about this 'men's' issue. I don't want to be pushing in. Forgive me if that's the case...
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Orthodox Andy
(06-10-2021, 10:02 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:01 PM)Orthodox Andy Wrote:

That can be a difficulty. But in all seriousness, could the paychecks outweigh the depression, at least for now?

I hope it' okay posting advise in the men's forum about this 'men's' issue. I don't want to be pushing in. Forgive me if that's the case...

I wouldn't worry about that. It's not like we're talking about.... you know.... the thing. I appreciate others input.

I might sing a different tune if I really need the money. Though most entry level jobs like that don't pay that great either, though I suppose there is a lot more room for growth to become some kind of master machinist and make a good wage someday. I am honestly considering a job as an Ophthalmology or Pharmacy Technician, since that is very detailed oriented, and not very physically overwhelming like a lot of production work is.

It's clear I am not in any position to start a family any time soon, if ever, but I do want to find something for now that I can at least... tolerate.
Don’t worry if you aren’t like most people. I have been told, and I have observed over and over again, that anyone not like most people is refreshing (and those who don’t recognize that are why it is refreshing).
[-] The following 3 users Like Credidi Propter's post:
  • Catherine, JacafamalaRedux, Orthodox Andy
(06-10-2021, 10:50 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: Don’t worry if you aren’t like most people. I have been told, and I have observed over and over again, that anyone not like most people is refreshing (and those who don’t recognize that are why it is refreshing).

Oh yeah, I don't place much stock in most peoples opinions on most things anymore. I joke that when I am among the "gen pop" I have to put on a more sociable face, but in private the differences become quite clear. I know my personality does have some strengths as well, it's just a matter of finding ways to leverage it given my circumstances.

I will say though being whittled down to one friend that lives near me does sting a little.
I am sorry about your situation and will be praying for you. Thank you for being so open and honest on this forum--I know that is difficult and humiliating. 

I don't have much career advice, but I will say this: if you haven't done so already, pray a novena (or several) to St. Joseph. He is, of course, the patron saint of finding good employment. This is the prayer I have said every single day: it has worked absolute miracles for me and my family. 

Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so prompt, so strong,
before the throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires.
Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession,
and obtain for me from your Divine Son
all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
So that, having engaged here below your heavenly power,
I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of fathers.

Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms;
I dare not approach while he reposes near your heart.
Press him in my name and kiss his fine head for me and
ask him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath.

St. Joseph, patron of departing souls - pray for me.
Amen.
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.
[-] The following 3 users Like SacraCor714's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, Catherine, Orthodox Andy