Side Effects of Smoking
(06-18-2021, 12:53 PM)Gondothlim 2 Wrote: Now, I don't see how it's possible to smoke any decent amount and not have your health impacted (I mean you're inhaling hot smoke, of course it's going to mess with your body) but maybe I'm wrong and there really are people who can go completely unaffected.  Anyway, as far as I can see if it's giving or aggravating a sore throat, that's harming you, and thus is a sin.
Always remember and never forget that 'sore throat'. It is a sign that your body is giving you, that you are doing something that is very basically irritating to your body and it is warning you of this. Just avoid it. Such 'pleasures' are short lived and in order to satisfy that need for that pleasurable feeling, such things like smoking and drinking, eventually lead to larger and more frequent exposures in order to achieve that pleasurable effect. Its a trap with a snare. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zedta's post:
  • J Michael
During my last physical, part of it was blood work.
I was told I don't have a "marker"for lung cancer" because I smoke 1/2 pack a day.

But I got a lung x-ray and they said I needed further testing a cat scan. Turns out granulomas which most people have and don't know.

Now why do doctors scare people. I was afraid until I got results
(06-18-2021, 02:02 PM)AnaCarolina1 Wrote: Now why do doctors scare people. I was afraid until I got results
From Voltaire:

“The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.”

“Doctors put drugs of which they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 2 users Like J Michael's post:
  • karl, Zedta
(06-18-2021, 03:30 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 02:02 PM)AnaCarolina1 Wrote: Now why do doctors scare people. I was afraid until I got results
From Voltaire:

“The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.”

“Doctors put drugs of which they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”

Here! Here! It is an art and science has little to do with it on the Physician level. Like sculpturists, painters,et al, some are good and some aren't and it is surely in the eye of the beholder. Be grateful for your nurses. We often keep people from being treated incorrectly by doctors.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • J Michael, karl
(06-18-2021, 01:14 PM)Zedta Wrote: Always remember and never forget that 'sore throat'. It is a sign that your body is giving you, that you are doing something that is very basically irritating to your body and it is warning you of this. Just avoid it. Such 'pleasures' are short lived and in order to satisfy that need for that pleasurable feeling, such things like smoking and drinking, eventually lead to larger and more frequent exposures in order to achieve that pleasurable effect. Its a trap with a snare. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Or maybe it's like the sore muscles after a work-out, the tender fingertips after practicing guitar, the callouses on the hands after mowing hay, the blisters after completing a walking pilgrimage, the episiotomy pain after giving birth, the bruises after finishing the 8th day of Boot Camp, the squak face after the first taste of whisky when beginning the journey of developing an "adult and discriminating palate," etc.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • jovan66102
(06-18-2021, 07:45 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 01:14 PM)Zedta Wrote: Always remember and never forget that 'sore throat'. It is a sign that your body is giving you, that you are doing something that is very basically irritating to your body and it is warning you of this. Just avoid it. Such 'pleasures' are short lived and in order to satisfy that need for that pleasurable feeling, such things like smoking and drinking, eventually lead to larger and more frequent exposures in order to achieve that pleasurable effect. Its a trap with a snare. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Or maybe it's like the sore muscles after a work-out, the tender fingertips after practicing guitar, the callouses on the hands after mowing hay, the blisters after completing a walking pilgrimage, the episiotomy pain after giving birth, the bruises after finishing the 8th day of Boot Camp, the squak face after the first taste of whisky when beginning the journey of developing an "adult and discriminating palate," etc.

I really hope you're right.  Don't get me wrong, it's definitely you're body telling you something's wrong IMO, but that raises a good point.  I wonder if there's a difference between "harming yourself" and merely doing something that makes you feel unpleasant.  IDK.  Honestly, at this point it's something that helps me mentally, gives me something to look forward to and helps me focus.  IDK.

Did we ever come to a conclusion here?  (or at least as much of a conclusion as one can on the internet)
(06-18-2021, 09:49 AM)J Michael Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 01:00 AM)dayafter Wrote: forgive me if this is a stupid question but are you inhaling the cigar smoke? i don't think you're supposed to, not for any moral reason, but because the nicotine is absorbed through saliva... or maybe that's just with pipes. my dad bought me a cigar when i was like 14 and told me you didn't inhale them (though maybe again that was because i was so young) so with cigars i always just take a puff and exhale through my nose
Rush Limbaugh, may he rest in peace, smoked cigars.  I think he inhaled the smoke, but don't quote me on that.  He died from....lung cancer.

As a cigar smoker myself, I can tell you that inhaling cigar smoke is extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable. You inhale into the mouth ONLY, exhale through the mouth or nose, and then retro-hale THAT smoke to enjoy the cigar. Lung cancer for cigar smokers is therefore virtually non-existent... cigar smokers' cancer presents in the mouth. 

As for Rush, before he smoked cigars... he was a cigarette chain smoker. FYI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oldrover's post:
  • karl
(06-24-2021, 08:24 AM)oldrover Wrote: As a cigar smoker myself, I can tell you that inhaling cigar smoke is extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable. You inhale into the mouth ONLY, exhale through the mouth or nose, and then retro-hale THAT smoke to enjoy the cigar. Lung cancer for cigar smokers is therefore virtually non-existent... cigar smokers' cancer presents in the mouth.

Is that how you do it?  I always thought you didn't inhale at all, I'll have to try that.  I find breathing out through my nose is really irritating though.