Producing your own clothes.
Quote:...but now I wish to take responsibility for more parts of my life and have wish to know how to take care of myself...

Admirable.

Improvise, adapt, overcome is one of the U.S. Marine Corps well known adages which I consider whenever pottering around.

So, a resource pile is good when improvising.

Mine is mostly found or cast-off items which I resort to all the time (my neighbors do too; help your friend's boat across the waves and you will arrive at the shore also they say.) For instance: in the present heat wave we had to install our air conditioner in a different spot this year which we did by adapting a piece of plexiglass we bought four years ago and never used, a piece of plastic sign-board (found on the highway), cut to fit, some nice flexible pneumatic air hose fished of of the neighboring business' dumpster, and packing tape. Then...the next day...we unexpectly acquired another sorely needed air conditioner and with some found plastic pipe (which conventionally fit perfect in diameter and length) we overcame the venting problem and install the second unit in less then a 1/2 hour (much to our relief the next day.)

[This method is a country method and not for everyone obviously]

Quote:...knowing the equipment needed and knowing the techniques employed to get the job done...

I love a good heavy pair of scissors.

I had 2 different friend haranguing me for years about carrying a knife and to spite them, (and prop-up my fragile ego), I announced I would one-up them all and carry 2 knifes; but carrying scissors in your back pocket isn't practical so I have succumb to carrying a lock-blade Buck knife. Whatever:)

I also employ a heavy duty upholstery staple gun which uses wide-crown staples alot, and lots, and lots of Gorilla Tape etc.

I've recently came across an neat old Gyspy saying: the tent wil stand when the palace shall fall.

I'm not suggesting you live in a tent or go digging through the trash, what I am saying is; learn to improvise, adapt, & you will overcome the situation, and since everyone's resources vary be aware and learn listen to your instincts, if that makes sense.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
These days, I have gotten more suspicious of everything so forgive me if I act in a manner that is strange. We are all under pressure and so am I.

I am not sure if I will get along with the locals around here, for not everyone takes well to me since I behave like an American. But for those that will take well to me, perhaps I will spend more time talking to them and see what we can do. And for those that do not, well, I'll think of it as exercising my good manners. I do not tinker with electronics or anything mechanical, I'd rather see what I can do with technology that has to do with crafting, farming and gardening. But if need be, I'll see what I can do with fixing vehicles.

I'm convinced that things will get bad before they get better and if things go bad they will go bad faster than I think. I would rather be of good cheer than to brood over the problems of our time, if you get what I mean, but if you look at how things have gone so far can one simply shut their eyes to it all as much as some people want to?

I do not want to panic. And perhaps my time will be better spent pondering on how to entertain myself after things go bad. A life without electricity may be difficult for me. If you know any songs, ones that are at least two centuries old can you bring them here to me so I can sing them? It can be in any language at all.
(07-02-2021, 04:49 AM)Mr. Cowboy Wrote: These days, I have gotten more suspicious of everything so forgive me if I act in a manner that is strange. We are all under pressure and so am I.

I am not sure if I will get along with the locals around here, for not everyone takes well to me since I behave like an American. But for those that will take well to me, perhaps I will spend more time talking to them and see what we can do. And for those that do not, well, I'll think of it as exercising my good manners. I do not tinker with electronics or anything mechanical, I'd rather see what I can do with technology that has to do with crafting, farming and gardening. But if need be, I'll see what I can do with fixing vehicles.

I'm convinced that things will get bad before they get better and if things go bad they will go bad faster than I think. I would rather be of good cheer than to brood over the problems of our time, if you get what I mean, but if you look at how things have gone so far can one simply shut their eyes to it all as much as some people want to?

I do not want to panic. And perhaps my time will be better spent pondering on how to entertain myself after things go bad. A life without electricity may be difficult for me. If you know any songs, ones that are at least two centuries old can you bring them here to me so I can sing them? It can be in any language at all.
I know this song and I hope this one is in the public domain.
To produce your own clothes you need a sewing machine, pins ,scissors and fabric chalk.
O yes and thread.
Then you buy a pattern. You pin the fabric to the pattern and trace and cut it out. Then you pin 2 or more pieces of fabric and sew it, using the plate built in the sewing machine to make the stitches straight.

Others may pin entire garment before sewingbut I can only handle 2 pieces at a time. And eventually you have your creation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AnaCarolina1's post:
  • Anon777
BTW you sew inside out 🙂