Fr Altman delivers a smack down
[/quote]

Fr Altman : "This archdiocese and Archbishop Alan Vigneron have persecuted this apostolate [Church Militant] for nothing more than teaching and preaching the truth."

This says all I need to know about Fr Altman.

[/quote]

Does anyone remember when Church Militant claimed to have some huge dossier on Cdl. Wuerl and he was supposedly fleeing from the US to Rome under the cover of night?
[-] The following 2 users Like LionHippo's post:
  • jovan66102, MagisterMusicae
Quote:Does anyone remember when Church Militant claimed to have some huge dossier on Cdl. Wuerl and he was supposedly fleeing from the US to Rome under the cover of night?

Or the earth-shaking expose promised about the massive coverup of the SSPX, St Marys, abuse, and involvement in the occult?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • LionHippo
(06-24-2021, 09:02 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: However, IIRC, the latest and most public spat CM had was with the SSPX.  I agree that CM crossed a line there, and that CM has long had a grudge against the SSPX.

It's not only the SSPX.

They refused to retract a verifiably false report about Fr James McLucas (which Matt Gaspers of Catholic Family News demonstrated was false).

They also are being sued by Fr de Laire for defamation :

Quote:Church Militant published an article about de Laire dated January 17, 2019, that addressed de Laire's role in the church's interactions with the St. Benedict Center. The article accused de Laire of changing "a solemnly defined dogma of the Faith into a heresy" and of improperly interpreting church doctrine as applied to the St. Benedict Center. Doc. no. 1-3, at *2. The article went on to claim that "work colleagues" of de Laire said he was emotionally unstable and that he was using the St. Benedict Center dispute to repair his image. The article also said that there had been three complaints lodged against de Laire over several years which alleged corruption, abuse of office, violations of the law, and incompetence. The Church Militant writer claimed to have learned that de Laire was outsourcing his work and that he was vindictive and manipulative. (The article is attributed to Church Militant without identification of the author.) The article accused de Laire of staying in a hotel instead of at a church property and of buying an expensive home.

Recently they were also sued by an SSPX priest who they also defamed.

So, not just the SSPX.

(06-24-2021, 09:02 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: But I highly doubt the ADD weighed in on the SSPX matter, and doubt even more that anything the ADD has done to get CM shut down had anything to do with the SSPX.  In that regard, I would agree with Fr. Altman here that the ADD would love nothing more than see CM close its doors as they've brought to light many, many things that the ADD (and archbishop) would prefer remain buried.

Perhaps, but that Fr Altman would hitch his wagon to CM, either shows he does not understand who they are (he is too naïve for people to be trusting him), or he does (and thus we should be very wary of his judgement and prudence).

Nevertheless, it is not priestly to do things like what he does here. Priests have a very particular duty they are given by the Church through their superiors. They have certain faithful God has entrusted them to care for. Priests do not have global or universal apostolates. It is not their place or duty to call out people in other places for misdeeds. When they do this, especially when they do not have some hierarchical structure to guide them (like one of the priestly fraternities), it can go very wrong very quickly, because the priest makes himself into his own superior.

I do not disagree with the main thrust of what Fr Altman has said regarding the U.S. Bishops. I do disagree with his methodology, and this is what shows a lack of prudence, which ought to be one of the key qualities of a good priest.

I don't doubt he has been persecuted, but this makes me worry that his persecution is not really about him trying to save the souls of the faithful entrusted to him (his duty). If it were that, I would be fully supportive of him. I fear it well exceeds that, though.

(06-24-2021, 01:17 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: This says all I need to know about Fr Altman.

All I need to know about Fr. Altman is that he is putting truth, and the good of the Church, ahead of his livelihood; odds are, he will be out of a job very soon, unemployable as a priest, and will be possibly looking at excommunication (Fr. Vaughn Treco, anyone?). 

That's more than I can say about myself--or anyone criticizing Fr. Altman--on an anonymous forum.
[/quote]

Is he really putting "truth, and the good of the Church, ahead of his livelihood," though?

That's a serious question.

Firstly, is it a random priest's place to stand up for the perceived "good of the Church"? Seems we would need some objective standard to be sure one is not simply going sui juris.

Secondly, is Fr Altman really standing up for "truth"? During the COVID mess, most of what I heard was political. Yes, it did have some good religious points inside of it, but it was heavily political, and I could see why that got him in hot water.

Thirdly, is Fr Altman really putting his livelihood on the line? For a priest, that shouldn't matter. He is not ordained to have a livelihood. The bishop has a duty to at least provide him a decent living, even if not provide him an apostolate. That decent living was never threatened. He did happen to collect nearly $400,000 from people, though, so I think his livelihood is in good shape for a while.

Fourthly, we criticize plenty of people here, and Fr Altman does not see any problem with criticizing people when there seems something wrong. Why should we fear legitimate questions or concerns for Fr Altman. If the criticism is valid, whether it comes from an anonymous source or not should not matter. Must we only praise people who other claim are defending "the truth"? What of Bergoglio and those defenders of his who have been on here? Why should we be allowed to critique him, but not Fr Altman? Why should Fr Altman get to take shots at the bishops, if people are not allowed to question him?

Lastly, even if he is speaking the "truth" and is "out of a job", that is the wrong view of the priest. It is not just a job. It is a vocation, and part of that vocation requires one to obey unless to do so would cause objective harm to souls by some sin. What sin was Fr Altman obliged to commit that he had to refuse obedience to his bishop? Certainly his bishop had every right to try to prevent him from making public statements outside of his parish, and if he was acting improperly in the parish, to remove him from that parish. A priest is not owed a ministry or a parish. Of course, I am not saying that everything his bishop has done is right either, but we have to be wary of making idols out of priests who have been shoved into the limelight. Time and time again, such priests always end up showing their true colors later. Perhaps Fr Altman is being unjustly persecuted, but doubling down and lashing out is not the way a priest should act and it is starting to look awfully like so many cases. I think there is a reason Fr Corapi was mentioned.

I pray for Fr Altman, and I hope, if he is being persecuted, he offers this well and receives many graces from it. I simply do not approved, nor am I edified by his conduct. If anything, I find it terribly disedifying.
[-] The following 6 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • austenbosten, Florus, jovan66102, pspark, Sword of St. Michael, TheRock
Thank you for posting.
(06-24-2021, 05:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
Quote:Does anyone remember when Church Militant claimed to have some huge dossier on Cdl. Wuerl and he was supposedly fleeing from the US to Rome under the cover of night?

Or the earth-shaking expose promised about the massive coverup of the SSPX, St Marys, abuse, and involvement in the occult?

Ah yes, you're right.  It's hard to remember all of the Chicken Little Catholic Infowars stories they've run.  Thanks for the reminder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LionHippo's post:
  • jovan66102
The one thing he got right is he keeps calling him Allen. All the titles like, Your Excellency, Your Holiness, etc. - those need to never be used again for a mere man - they belong to God Alone.
(06-28-2021, 07:12 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: The one thing he got right is he keeps calling him Allen.  All the titles like, Your Excellency, Your Holiness, etc. - those need to never be used again for a mere man - they belong to God Alone.
Let me guess... you're not Catholic?
“Take my advice and live for a long, long time. Because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die.” 

“When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!” 

- Don Quixote
[-] The following 3 users Like Memories_in_Rain's post:
  • austenbosten, jovan66102, MagisterMusicae
(06-28-2021, 07:12 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: The one thing he got right is he keeps calling him Allen.  All the titles like, Your Excellency, Your Holiness, etc. - those need to never be used again for a mere man - they belong to God Alone.

Your Honor, Your Lordship, Your Highness, Your Worship... these should belong to God alone.

In fact, stop calling people Mister, which is just a variant of Master, and God alone is Master. And stop saying Sir, too, because sir is a variant of Sire, which comes from the French Senior, meaning Lord, and God alone is Lord.
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp
Let me just say this. Say what you want about Archbishop Vigneron, he not only invited the Institute of Christ the King into his diocese, he made their parish the Archdiocesan shrine. And beyond that, we have multiple regular tlm's in this diocese even outside of the ICKSP.

Trust me there are waaaay worse bishops out there. I've seen Vigneron perform the sacrament of confirmation in the traditional rite and give a homily on the Baltimore Catechism. He's permitted countless tlm's in his diocese. To knock him like Altman is doing is just preposterous honestly.

Sent from my SM-A025U using Tapatalk