The New American Bible is an okay Translation
(07-03-2021, 11:53 AM)austenbosten Wrote: I probably would like to have a KJV-CE, but that's because nobody does the Shepherd's Psalm like KJV, even DRB doesn't get it exact.  Anyways it's important to simply get multiple English translations and not stick with one.

I have an odd experience of the 'Shepherd's Psalm'. When I was about 8 years old in a prot Sunday school, I learned it from the KJV. As a reward for my diligence, I was given a brand new RSV. And by 'brand new', I mean brand new. It was only two or three years after the publication of the entire RSV.

However, as I've mentioned, I spent several years as an Anglican lay-reader, leading daily Morning and Evening Prayer in an Anglican Cathedral. As a result, the version of Psalm 22 (23) that I have internalised is the BCP translation by Myles Coverdale from 1535, over 75 years before the publication of the KJV.

Dominus regit me.

THE Lord is my shepherd : therefore can I lack nothing.
2 He shall feed me in a green pasture : and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort.
3 He shall convert my soul : and bring me forth in the paths of righteousness, for his Name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil : for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff comfort me.
5 Thou shalt prepare a table before me against them that trouble me : thou hast anointed my head with oil, and my cup shall be full.
6 Surely thy loving-kindness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life : and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
What I like about the NAB is the use of the word “Presbyter” in the New Testament. The NRSV-CE uses the Protestant translation “elder.” That’s kind of a big deal to me. The NAB also is easier to read after a long day when I just want to sit and read and not have to painstakingly digest every phrase like with the D-R Bible. 

The NAB is not perfect, but as far as I’m concerned, it has its uses. I own copies of the NAB, DR-LV, RSV-CE, and the New Jerusalem Bible. They all have their strengths.
Domine Iesu, dimitte nobis debita nostra, salva nos ab igne inferiori, perduc in caelum omnes animas, praesertim eas, quae misericordiae tuae maxime indigent. Amen.
Why not just stick with a translation that translates πρεσβύτερος properly as 'priest', such as the D-R? How many Catholics say, 'My dad was dying, so I called the presbyter to give him Last Rites'?

Quote:“For this cause I left thee in Crete, that thou shouldst set in order the things that are wanting, and shouldst ordain priests in every city, as I also appointed thee” (Titus 1:5).
Quote:“Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the Church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil, in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith shall save the sick man; and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he be in sins, they shall be forgiven him” (James 5:14-15).
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe