What is Messianic Judaism
As I am sure I have mentioned before, I work with lots of Evangelicals and my family are Evangelical as well. 

I've noticed that they are impressed with what is called "Messianic Judaism" (basically Jews from Jesus.)

Could anyone give a brief rundown on this religion? It seems like a Judaized form of Evangelicalism, which basically adds Christ to Rabbinic Judaism. Is that an accurate assessment?
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp
I know that someone is going to roll their eyes at this, but can we try to honestly avoid real anti-Semitism here. 

(Anyone who knows my position on this is that I openly invite more Christian criticism and apologetics against Judaism, but there is a fine line that needs to be tread before we descend into actual racism. Stick to the religion and judge the religion on its merits and don't start posting memes with quotes from anonymous Jewish perverts.)
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp
Like all forms of protestantism it is a false religion that does not belong to the Church of Christ, but it's complicated by refusing to accept that Christ fulfilled the Law, since many of them still keep much of the ceremonial and dietary law.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(07-06-2021, 07:04 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Like all forms of protestantism it is a false religion that does not belong to the Church of Christ, but it's complicated by refusing to accept that Christ fulfilled the Law, since many of them still keep much of the ceremonial and dietary law.

Well, I wasn't under any pretentions that it was a true religion. Also, I think that they believe that Christ fulfilled the law.

But, couldn't Catholics also keep certain of the dietary laws (maybe not the ceremonial laws) if it were only out of a sense of devotion and not trying to justify oneself before God through the law?

Quote:Could anyone give a brief rundown on this religion?

It not really a religion more of a dismantling of a religion . Bear with me...

It reminds me of a movie 'Other People's Money', were Larry the Liquidator moves in to liquidate a ageing wire & cable company in the wireless age. 

So, it's the church that's in obsolescence now and the corporate raiders are moving in to squeeze every last obsolete red cent of of it. 

++++++++++++++

This is Abomination of Desolation type stuff these American Evangelicals are playing around with because of course it's the Sacrifice of the Mass that is always the real target (they don't see it) and if that is liquidated all Hell breaks loose.

Gregory Peck's last movie
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(07-06-2021, 06:20 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: As I am sure I have mentioned before, I work with lots of Evangelicals and my family are Evangelical as well. 

I've noticed that they are impressed with what is called "Messianic Judaism" (basically Jews from Jesus.)

Could anyone give a brief rundown on this religion? It seems like a Judaized form of Evangelicalism, which basically adds Christ to Rabbinic Judaism. Is that an accurate assessment?
If you do an internet search for "messianic judaism" you'll get a plethora of results, including https://www.messianicjudaism.net/ .  Amazon also has numerous books about it.  Your assessment is, a much as I understand it, pretty accurate--rabbinic Judaism + Christ as Messiah.  An interesting concept, no doubt, but....not really Christianity, let alone Catholicism, nor modern-day Judaism.
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • jovan66102
(07-06-2021, 06:23 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: I know that someone is going to roll their eyes at this, but can we try to honestly avoid real anti-Semitism here. 

(Anyone who knows my position on this is that I openly invite more Christian criticism and apologetics against Judaism, but there is a fine line that needs to be tread before we descend into actual racism. Stick to the religion and judge the religion on its merits and don't start posting memes with quotes from anonymous Jewish perverts.)

[Image: giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e476fi7xo5a9b9798iyu....webp&ct=g]
Messianic Judaism is really a religion for masochists. They are seen as Jews by Christians and Goyim by Jews. It's essentially the ultimate Protestant religion where you keep all the trappings of Judaism but still have Christ and you get to have Sola Scriptura.
[-] The following 4 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • J Michael, jovan66102, karl, PilgrimMichelangelo
Messianic Judaism appears to me to be the Protestant obsession with Primitivism coming full circle back to Judaism and thereby restoring the Judaizing heresy all over again. Since they have already rejected Churches with Apostolic Succession as corrupt, then rejected Mainline Protestantism, then Restorationalism, they move back to Judaism, sensing the need for tradition, liturgy, etc. It simply proves the absence of rootedness and authentic tradition that is inherent in the revolutionary theology of "semper reformanda".
"Orthodoxy is not so much a matter of the head. It is something living, and it's of the heart." --Bl. Seraphim of Platina

"Beauty will save the world." --Fyodor Dostoevsky

"You shall know the truth, and it will make you odd." --Flannery O'Connor
[-] The following 2 users Like PilgrimMichelangelo's post:
  • jovan66102, karl
(07-06-2021, 11:29 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Messianic Judaism is really a religion for masochists.  They are seen as Jews by Christians and Goyim by Jews.  It's essentially the ultimate Protestant religion where you keep all the trappings of Judaism but still have Christ and you get to have Sola Scriptura.

That's basically what I thought. I find it amazing that Protestants fall head and heals over themselves for Judaism/Israel but will still hate the Catholic Church.

I have a coworker who is Reformed who told me Catholics are judaizers who put works before the Gospel (total garbage and complete nonsense). The same coworker thinks Messianic Jews are a-okay because they don't do the works of the law to be justified... I really don't get people. Protestantism is insanely difficult to understand.

[-] The following 2 users Like Justin Tertius's post:
  • austenbosten, karl