What is Messianic Judaism
(07-07-2021, 02:47 AM)Justin Tertius Wrote: Protestantism is insanely difficult to understand.
Fixed it for you.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • austenbosten, karl, PilgrimMichelangelo
(07-07-2021, 02:47 AM)Justin Tertius Wrote:
(07-06-2021, 11:29 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Messianic Judaism is really a religion for masochists.  They are seen as Jews by Christians and Goyim by Jews.  It's essentially the ultimate Protestant religion where you keep all the trappings of Judaism but still have Christ and you get to have Sola Scriptura.

That's basically what I thought. I find it amazing that Protestants fall head and heals over themselves for Judaism/Israel but will still hate the Catholic Church.

I have a coworker who is Reformed who told me Catholics are judaizers who put works before the Gospel (total garbage and complete nonsense). The same coworker thinks Messianic Jews are a-okay because they don't do the works of the law to be justified... I really don't get people. Protestantism is insanely difficult to understand.

Protestantism is difficult to understand because

A) There are many different sects of it, with their own theologies.

B) You are dealing with Protestant laymen, who are just as clueless about their faith as the typical Catholic layman ("Duh! Well of course da Pope can bless gay marriage...derrr he da Pope!"

C) Protestantism is essentially Talmudism/Islam for Christianity, which is ya gotta book and many different authorities and all ya gotta do is find some authority to give you an answer you are looking for. If all else fails, you can interpret it the way you want to (Ding! Ding! Sola Scriptura to the rescue!)

As for your co-worker...just what does he think works of the law are?

There are Talmudic Protestants (proper term for Messianic Jews) who follow the Torah (ahem! the Law) and religiously hold to the Kosher laws and ritual circumcision.

It's okay though I feel your pain.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • karl
As others have previously stated, “Messianic Judaism” is really just different Protestant denominations (virulently anti-Catholic) that tend to mostly cater to “Gentiles,” although there are a small number of Jewish converts. You will get all sorts of different theologies within this umbrella term. Some groups are non-Trinitarian, while others might be Trinitarian. They tend to not really believe in any of the major creeds, probably most of them. I know on my way home from work there used to be a “messianic synagogue” that later “came into communion” with an ACNA church church in the area, after I checked their website-so not all “messianic Gentiles/Jews” are non-trinitarian in theology. They definitely have some bad theology that’s for sure. There’s nothing “anti-semitic” about that. They tend not to like using the word “church” either and that the New Testament was “hijacked” by [later] Greek and Latin Gentiles which ultimately did away with the “Jewishness” of the Gospels.

I don’t know how many “messianic Jews” study or believe in the Talmud, but if you talk to an actual conservative or orthodox Jewish rabbi, they will [should] say that Gentiles have absolutely no need to learn Talmud…there is no point. The Talmud does have a few interesting interpretations of some OT passages, but other than that there’s no real reason for Catholics to study them.

If one wants a “Catholic view” of Judaism from the standpoint of Jewish-converts-to-Catholicism, look up modern speakers such as Roy Schoeman, Dr. Rhonda Chervin, and Mother Miriam of the Lamb of God. There’s also Francois Libermann (France, 19th century) and the women converts of Russia that were killed right up or close to the Russian revolution.
(07-07-2021, 07:57 PM)Majestie Wrote: If one wants a “Catholic view” of Judaism from the standpoint of Jewish-converts-to-Catholicism, look up modern speakers such as Roy Schoeman, Dr. Rhonda Chervin, and Mother Miriam of the Lamb of God. There’s also Francois Libermann (France, 19th century) and the women converts of Russia that were killed right up or close to the Russian revolution.
Don't forget St. Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein)!
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
Yes how can I forget St Edith Stein? She is one of my favorite female Saints and I love her quotes about Jesus on the Cross! I know this one isn’t related (or a convert from Judaism) but I’ve also come to really adore S.o.G. Dorothy Day, after I read her autobiography on Audible. Definitely my top two “modern” female Catholic SoGs/Saints and how genuine they were with themselves. I want that perseverance that they so strongly placed in their faith.