Fr Josiah Trenham: Weaponizing the Eucharist?
Fr Josiah Trenham give the traditional Catholic/Orthodox teaching on the Eucharist and who should receive it or be denied: 
"Orthodoxy is not so much a matter of the head. It is something living, and it's of the heart." --Bl. Seraphim of Platina

"Beauty will save the world." --Fyodor Dostoevsky

"You shall know the truth, and it will make you odd." --Flannery O'Connor
[-] The following 2 users Like PilgrimMichelangelo's post:
  • J Michael, youngfogey
The Orthodox are better than Catholics at "guarding the chalice."  The priest has to know you and know you have recently been to confession before he will give you the Eucharist.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 5 users Like Clare Brigid's post:
  • J Michael, Louis IX, newenglandsun, PilgrimMichelangelo, youngfogey
(07-10-2021, 05:14 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: The priest has to know you and know you have recently been to confession before he will give you the Eucharist.

I see the logic in that, but it strikes me as odd.  Do they take into account travelling, overseas service, other (legitimately) extenuating circumstances?
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(07-12-2021, 03:02 PM)Jeeter Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 05:14 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: The priest has to know you and know you have recently been to confession before he will give you the Eucharist.

I see the logic in that, but it strikes me as odd.  Do they take into account travelling, overseas service, other (legitimately) extenuating circumstances?
Yes.  If you know you're traveling, etc. you're encouraged to contact the priest before the time of the Divine Liturgy.  This can be done by phone or email, or preferably by attending the Vespers Service on Saturday evening.  Meet the priest, tell him your situation, and receive the Sacrament of Repentance (Confession) if he deems it necessary.

Sometimes, if all the above are not possible, if you arrive at the church early on Sunday morning, before or for Matins, you may be able to introduce yourself to the priest and, if necessary, receive the Sacrament of Repentance.

All that seems to work very, very well.

I would think people serving overseas have some kind of arrangements within their branch of service.  If not, the same kind of thing above would probably apply, though language might be an issue.

Worst case scenario, you are unable to meet the priest and just do not receive the Eucharist that Sunday.  You may, however, approach the cup for a blessing, stating something like "Just a blessing, Father."
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 2 users Like J Michael's post:
  • Clare Brigid, Jeeter
"I think that God weaponizes Heaven"
~Pope Francis, Frutti Tutti
(Not actual quote but seriously...)
https://historyofnewengland.blogspot.com/?m=1
"This guy gets it." Fan mail I've received.
[-] The following 2 users Like newenglandsun's post:
  • Jeeter, Louis IX
J Michael Wrote:
Jeeter Wrote:
Clare Brigid Wrote:The priest has to know you and know you have recently been to confession before he will give you the Eucharist.

Yes.  If you know you're traveling, etc. you're encouraged to contact the priest before the time of the Divine Liturgy.  This can be done by phone or email, or preferably by attending the Vespers Service on Saturday evening.  Meet the priest, tell him your situation, and receive the Sacrament of Repentance (Confession) if he deems it necessary.

Sometimes, if all the above are not possible, if you arrive at the church early on Sunday morning, before or for Matins, you may be able to introduce yourself to the priest and, if necessary, receive the Sacrament of Repentance.

All that seems to work very, very well.

I would think people serving overseas have some kind of arrangements within their branch of service.  If not, the same kind of thing above would probably apply, though language might be an issue.

Worst case scenario, you are unable to meet the priest and just do not receive the Eucharist that Sunday.  You may, however, approach the cup for a blessing, stating something like "Just a blessing, Father."

Yes, this is my experience.  When I was Orthodox, I traveled to Florida for my niece's wedding.  Beforehand, I found an OCA church in the area and emailed the pastor, informing him when I had last been to confession.  At the Divine Liturgy the following Sunday he commended me during his sermon and told his congregation how I had done the right thing in contacting him ahead of time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clare Brigid's post:
  • J Michael
(07-12-2021, 08:36 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Yes, this is my experience.  When I was Orthodox, I traveled to Florida for my niece's wedding.  Beforehand, I found an OCA church in the area and emailed the pastor, informing him when I had last been to confession.  At the Divine Liturgy the following Sunday he commended me during his sermon and told his congregation how I had done the right thing in contacting him ahead of time.

Wow! Compared to my experience in the Serbian Church, the OCA seems lax. We were expected to confess before every Communion. There were two Serbian Churches in town, but because of politics, there was absolutely NO Church hopping. (Changing Churches in most cases would have entailed changing your family and friends as well.)

As a result, the Pastor knew everyone. If you hadn't been to confession after Vespers on Saturday you didn't receive Communion. If travellers couldn't make it to Vespers, they were expected not to receive.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • youngfogey
(07-12-2021, 09:12 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 08:36 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Yes, this is my experience.  When I was Orthodox, I traveled to Florida for my niece's wedding.  Beforehand, I found an OCA church in the area and emailed the pastor, informing him when I had last been to confession.  At the Divine Liturgy the following Sunday he commended me during his sermon and told his congregation how I had done the right thing in contacting him ahead of time.

Wow! Compared to my experience in the Serbian Church, the OCA seems lax. We were expected to confess before every Communion. There were two Serbian Churches in town, but because of politics, there was absolutely NO Church hopping. (Changing Churches in most cases would have entailed changing your family and friends as well.)

As a result, the Pastor knew everyone. If you hadn't been to confession after Vespers on Saturday you didn't receive Communion. If travellers couldn't make it to Vespers, they were expected not to receive.

When your theology doesn't have the concepts of mortal and venial sin (I live in the Byzantine Rite and admit I still think this way, but I don't impose it on anyone), and you have a medieval church culture where the people only go to Communion once to four times a year, then mandatory confession before Communion makes sense. ROCOR is big on requiring Vespers before Communion too; it varies by parish.
"Beeler: you have become a joke. Your Catholicer-than-thou, anti-Orthodox, capitalist lackey, not-so-young fogey shtick is old old old, just as you like it." — Daniel Nichols

A conservative blog for peace
[-] The following 1 user Likes youngfogey's post:
  • Clare Brigid