Palma a method and pagan babies
Does anyone remember this from Catholic school? Palmer method is learning cursive .

Pagan babies were a collection for the missions. Sister had split in half, boys vs. girls.
Whoever reached the 5.O0 mark fist got to name the baby .

Since boys are boys, they came up with igor Archibald etc. 

Then they would get lines to write.
Lol
(07-15-2021, 06:56 PM)AnaCarolina1 Wrote: Does anyone remember this from Catholic school? Palmer method is learning cursive .

Pagan babies were a collection for the missions. Sister had split in half, boys vs. girls.
Whoever reached the 5.O0 mark fist got to name the baby .

Since boys are boys, they came up with igor Archibald etc. 

Then they would get lines to write.
Lol
?
"If we do not supply the chains, who will chain the supplies?"

Karl Marx I PROMISE it will work this time Vol 3

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

A German...possibly
Quote:Since boys are boys, they came up with igor Archibald etc.

Did you get to name any?

I'm better at printing. Leard how in drafting class. Got pretty fast .
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blind Horus's post:
  • AnaCarolina1
I used to send offerings to the missions of the Society of the Divine Word. I figured the 'pagan babies' angle was a gentle scam to raise money. I picked some pretty ridiculous names, just like the lads in your class. It never occurred to me that they would actually be used!

Years later, I wrote the US HQ of the SVD and asked if there was a mission Priest I could write to. They replied that God works in mysterious ways because they had just gotten a letter from one of their missionaries in Botswana asking if there was someone he could correspond with. His name was Fr Thomas Neluvelly, SVD. He was from Kerala State in Southern India and had been a missionary in Northern India for years before he was transferred to Africa.

After we had corresponded for a while, he made a mission trip to the US. Because of a change in his prearranged schedule, he was able to visit us and make an appeal in our Parish. After dinner one night I asked him about the pagan babies. He assured me that whatever names I had picked had actually been given in Baptism. 

I now feel a bit embarrassed that there are middle-aged people with names like Cunegunda and Beornstan running around Northern India all because of me. I'm glad to know I share some of the 'guilt' with the boys in your class. LOL!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 5 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, Anon777, Grandma, PilgrimMichelangelo, The Tax Collector
Did anyone you know get the paddle? I did in kindergarten. A boy at my table told me there were thousands of ants in the boys room..who could pass that up? So I went into the boys room and got swatted on the behind. Lol
Then I remember a boy in older grades not getting a hair cut after sister asked a few times. So one day she made him wear a hot pink bow in front cause his hair was in his eyes his hair was cut the next day, like l...what was really famous was wearing the gum you were chewing on your nose all day.

And I loved all the religious stickers. I make sure to buy my child's teacher similar ones.
The really bad boys in 8th grade would load up erasers with chalk and throw it to sisters back in her Benedictine habit.

She was about 90. So she would walk around with little rectangles of white on her habit .

She loved me and she taught math. I am horrible at math, back then too, but I always got an A with an angelic sticker.
My dad just shook his head at all the errors she missed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AnaCarolina1's post:
  • PilgrimMichelangelo
The best is when boys had Thier shirts untucked or unironed and Sister would ask if everything was alright at home.

Sorry for the many replies..my edit button is not here today, lol.
Quote:Did anyone you know get the paddle?

Yes, me, (but I always kept my shirt tail tucked in)

Love the stories:)
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blind Horus's post:
  • AnaCarolina1
(07-16-2021, 02:55 PM)AnaCarolina1 Wrote: Did anyone you know get the paddle? 

I went to public school, back in the dark ages of the early 50s. I got the paddle every year from kindergarten through grade four. Our principal, Mrs VanGundy (I still remember her name!) had a series of paddles. Each time you got it, it was a bit 'sturdier'. Then, she would call my Mum and tell her. Then, when I got home, I got the paddle for getting the paddle at school.

A story from an earlier time. In Canada, the preferred method was 'the strap', a razor strop or a piece of belt leather. One day, in the early 1900s, the principal of a public (protestant) school in Edmonton was walking home after school. He saw some boys acting up, throwing snowballs at passersby. He immediately gave them the strap. Unfortunately for him, he found out they weren't 'his' boys. They were Catholics who went to a separate (Catholic) school. He caught a lot of flak over that.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, PilgrimMichelangelo