Motu proprio Traditionis Custodes restricts the TLM
(07-26-2021, 12:43 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: As Pope Benedict XVI said, the pope is the servant of tradition, not its master.  He cannot simply do whatever he wants with the liturgy.

I fully agree, the however though is that the pope is the one that ultimately defines what tradition is. The pope is supposed to hand down the tradition as it was handed to him, the issue though is that as the person who defines what that tradition is, the pope has the ability then to change it by saying such and such is not part of tradition. This was done to a point with V2, and just now with the moto proprio. Thus, he can and does change what is seen as tradition, thus has power over it in a sense.

The check on the pope that we believe in is that God will not allow His church to fall to sin. This implies that the church will not be able to teach evil/heresy. Thus, if we hold that to be true, then when the pope does say that xyz is no longer part of tradition, or that it was wrongly held as tradition, then we would have to conclude that God is allowing this to happen and it is not making the church deviate so far as to fall to the gates of hell. Basically the area that I struggle with, trusting God that He is in charge, and will stick to His word in protecting the church especially when massive things like this happen.
(07-26-2021, 01:47 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: This implies that the church will not be able to teach evil/heresy.

The church will not be able to bind the faithful into error. Individual men (and even popes) aren't stopped from speaking heresy.

Further, a motu proprio is a disciplinary command, subject to the limits of obedience. It is not a teaching.
(07-26-2021, 01:53 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 01:47 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: This implies that the church will not be able to teach evil/heresy.

The church will not be able to bind the faithful into error.  Individual men (and even popes) aren't stopped from speaking heresy.

Further, a motu proprio is a disciplinary command, subject to the limits of obedience.  It is not a teaching.
I am not posting this as an advocate of the sede position, for I'm not in that camp, but for the archival record of reactions to TC for FE. Here's a video from the (sede bishop) Donald J. Sanborn, a Feast of St James homily. [video=youtube]http://https://youtu.be/JW3PRR8INvA[/video]
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)