What are conservative Novus Ordo Catholics?
(07-19-2021, 09:57 PM)Augustinian Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 09:56 PM)LionHippo Wrote: How about, Catholics who have proven that they don't need to attend Latin Mass to be prayerful, charitable, accept all of the Church's teachings, go to Mass Sundays and Holy Days, embrace the sacraments, can get by just fine without badmouthing the bishops and Holy Father, haven't heard or don't pay attention to Vigano, Taylor Marshall, or other trad celebrities, and are overall more common than many Traditionalists give credit for?

Oh, you mean emulating Christ with the help of the Sacraments like Catholics are supposed to? Yeah, that sounds about right.

And I forgot to add, they do all of those things while being less judgmental, less scrupulous, less conspiratorial, and more joyful than the average Traditionalist seems to be.
[-] The following 5 users Like LionHippo's post:
  • austenbosten, Fionnchu, J Michael, SeekerofChrist, SeeTheLight
(07-19-2021, 10:00 PM)LionHippo Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 09:56 PM)LionHippo Wrote: How about, Catholics who have proven that they don't need to attend Latin Mass to be prayerful, charitable, accept all of the Church's teachings, go to Mass Sundays and Holy Days, embrace the sacraments, can get by just fine without badmouthing the bishops and Holy Father, haven't heard or don't pay attention to Vigano, Taylor Marshall, or other trad celebrities, and are overall more common than many Traditionalists give credit for?

Oh, you mean emulating Christ with the help of the Sacraments like Catholics are supposed to? Yeah, that sounds about right.

And I forgot to add, they do all of those things while being less judgmental, less scrupulous, less conspiratorial, and more joyful than the average Traditionalist seems to be.

That was what slowly came upon me about certain Traditionalists. 

While NO types in their polo shirts and slacks may look goofy with their orans position at Mass...they are at least joyful and at least have a love for Christ.  Some of the TLM folks are just miserable as can be.  They literally are now starting to remind me of Jews...constantly groaning on and on about the destruction of the temple (Vatican II) and the Shoah (the wreckovation following V2) and they just spend their days in vain prayer praying for a return to the good old days.
[-] The following 6 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • Fionnchu, J Michael, LionHippo, muffinman145, SeekerofChrist, SeeTheLight
While it is good to be outwardly joyful, let's be cautious and keep in mind not to put too much emphasis on the outward expression of one's faith as a means of presuming their sanctity. One can lead a life of misery or a life of joy and still be pleasing to God. What is important is that we do the will of the Father, which means accepting all of the crosses and blessings God gives us in life.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 6 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Ad Jesum Per Mariam, austenbosten, J Michael, SeekerofChrist, SeeTheLight, Some Guy
(07-19-2021, 10:09 PM)Augustinian Wrote: While it is good to be outwardly joyful, let's be cautious and keep in mind not to put too much emphasis on the outward expression of one's faith as a means of presuming their sanctity. One can lead a life of misery or a life of joy and still be pleasing to God. What is important is that we do the will of the Father, which means accepting all of the crosses and blessings God gives us in life.

Yes, but the mark of a Christian is joy and not despair.

I don't believe for a moment that an irreverent NO who goes to rock band Masses will maintain their joyful composure for long remember the parable of the seeds. Those who are "Liek OMG! I'm Catholic and suuuuuuuper happy!" Yeah let's see how they are when a challenge hits them...they will sadly be like the seeds that fell onto the rocks and got scorched by the sun.

I think Eric Ybarra said it best on a recent podcast I listened to. The longer you become Catholic and the more you live it...the more you learn to live with uncertainty and not knowing everything.
[-] The following 5 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • Adventus, Augustinian, Fionnchu, J Michael, SeekerofChrist
(07-19-2021, 10:05 PM)austenbosten Wrote:

While NO types in their polo shirts and slacks may look goofy with their orans position at Mass...they are at least joyful and at least have a love for Christ.  Some of the TLM folks are just miserable as can be.  They literally are now starting to remind me of Jews...constantly groaning on and on about the destruction of the temple (Vatican II) and the Shoah (the wreckovation following V2) and they just spend their days in vain prayer praying for a return to the good old days.
NO types don't seem joyful at the churches I've been to. They seem exhausted and desperate to leave. The Church is dying in the West and a lukewarm acceptance of the status quo isn't going to help. I'm glad you're not a sede anymore but now you seem to have embraced the other side of the same hyperpapalist error that sedes all have. I agree that some trads need to be more respectful to the Holy Father and that obedience must be maintained in all possible circumstances but the SSPX is a fine example of R&R producing fruit that the dioceses just can't seem to produce. Vocations, baptisms, retained faith through generations, etc.
(07-19-2021, 10:36 PM)muffinman145 Wrote: NO types don't seem joyful at the churches I've been to. They seem exhausted and desperate to leave. The Church is dying in the West and a lukewarm acceptance of the status quo isn't going to help. I'm glad you're not a sede anymore but now you seem to have embraced the other side of the same hyperpapalist error that sedes all have. I agree that some trads need to be more respectful to the Holy Father and that obedience must be maintained in all possible circumstances but the SSPX is a fine example of R&R producing fruit that the dioceses just can't seem to produce. Vocations, baptisms, retained faith through generations, etc.

Well NO is pretty big tent so I'm not denying there are miserable people. Hyperpapalist....haha! Yeah whatever dude. Keep name-calling.

I'm a Catholic that's it.
[-] The following 4 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • Augustinian, J Michael, MacPasquale, SeekerofChrist
(07-19-2021, 10:36 PM)muffinman145 Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 10:05 PM)austenbosten Wrote:

NO types don't seem joyful at the churches I've been to. They seem exhausted and desperate to leave. The Church is dying in the West and a lukewarm acceptance of the status quo isn't going to help. I'm glad you're not a sede anymore but now you seem to have embraced the other side of the same hyperpapalist error that sedes all have. I agree that some trads need to be more respectful to the Holy Father and that obedience must be maintained in all possible circumstances but the SSPX is a fine example of R&R producing fruit that the dioceses just can't seem to produce. Vocations, baptisms, retained faith through generations, etc.
In the NO church I attend, grumpily because I'm a dour Byzantine Catholic old man, and they're just NOT celebrating the RIGHT Liturgy, that is, MY liturgy, that is, no, NOT the TLM, but the absolutely Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom....oh...but I digress...

Anyway...in the NO church I attend, there are all manner of people and expressions.  I'll list what I see on a weekly basis: happy, joyful, sad, angry, grumpy (me), sleepy, tired, busy, confused, peaceful, confident, scared, exhausted, shy, bold, and a few more I can't think of at the moment.  And most people are in a different state, so to speak, from week to week.  They're human beings, after all.   So...the "NO types" you see don't "seem joyful".  So what?  Are they all the same and all in the same emotional and spiritual state all the time every week, that is....exhausted and not joyful?  Give me a break.

(And if we look goofy [and I'll grant that people with their arms in the orans position really do look goofy]...who really cares, as long as in our goofiness we are modest and not disrespectful of our God and each other?)

And yeah...the Church, sadly, is dying.  Wasn't this foreseen?
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 4 users Like J Michael's post:
  • Augustinian, austenbosten, MacPasquale, SeekerofChrist
(07-19-2021, 10:43 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 10:36 PM)muffinman145 Wrote: NO types don't seem joyful at the churches I've been to. They seem exhausted and desperate to leave. The Church is dying in the West and a lukewarm acceptance of the status quo isn't going to help. I'm glad you're not a sede anymore but now you seem to have embraced the other side of the same hyperpapalist error that sedes all have. I agree that some trads need to be more respectful to the Holy Father and that obedience must be maintained in all possible circumstances but the SSPX is a fine example of R&R producing fruit that the dioceses just can't seem to produce. Vocations, baptisms, retained faith through generations, etc.

Well NO is pretty big tent so I'm not denying there are miserable people.  Hyperpapalist....haha!  Yeah whatever dude.  Keep name-calling.

Not calling you names. It's just obvious to everyone how you and others put the Pope on some unrealistic pedestal and then inevitably get into sedevacantists or just become delusional Pope apologists doing mental gymnastics to defend Pope Francis. Good luck raising kids in the NO and keeping them Catholic. Go ahead and send them to a diocesan school where Protestants will teach them theology. At least they won't turn out to be miserable jew-trads.
[-] The following 2 users Like muffinman145's post:
  • Bushum, SacraCor714
(07-19-2021, 11:11 PM)muffinman145 Wrote:

Well NO is pretty big tent so I'm not denying there are miserable people.  Hyperpapalist....haha!  Yeah whatever dude.  Keep name-calling.

Not calling you names. It's just obvious to everyone how you and others put the Pope on some unrealistic pedestal and then inevitably get into sedevacantists or just become delusional Pope apologists doing mental gymnastics to defend Pope Francis. Good luck raising kids in the NO and keeping them Catholic. Go ahead and send them to a diocesan school where Protestants will teach them theology. At least they won't turn out to be miserable jew-trads.
What's a "jew-trad"?
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
(07-19-2021, 11:13 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 11:11 PM)muffinman145 Wrote:

What's a "jew-trad"?
It appears to be a name. Something which he claimed he was trying not to do.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4