First response from SSPX - From Summorum Pontificum to Traditionis Custodes
(07-21-2021, 09:04 PM)Eric F Wrote: Sort of like ladies night at a bar, where quite often males heavily outnumber females.

They always forget to add the extra "d," should be "laddies night."
(07-21-2021, 06:48 PM)Water1965 Wrote: I was on the young end of that time but I do remember that most of the guitar masses with "music selected for the young people" were considered goofy and lame by many of those same young people. 
They were still trying it in the late 70s & early 80s when I was in high school.

Quote:jovan66102

And they kept right on trying it even tho' failure was staring them in the face. As recently as the early 2000s the Cathedral across the street from my house had a 'Youth Mass' at 5 PM on Sundays. Occasionally, because of my work schedule, it was the only Mass I could attend. 

You guys got that right.  When I was involved what was equivalent to "sunday school" (actually Monday night school) and parish council in the 2000s at my local NO church, they had all that.

I still remember how the youth ministers (who were also very much into Charismatic Renewal) explained to me that they needed to keep things "relevant" for the youth.  They had the "YouCat."  They had a special youth mass 5:30 pm Sunday dominated by droves of emotional girls.  They enticed youngsters to go to a youth minister's home on Wednesdays for "Praise and Worship" slain in the spirit sessions.  One catechist was teaching that Mary Magdalene was really the wife of Our Lord.  I exposed the worst of these and got them stopped.  Eventually the youth mass went away on its own. 

End result - The experience burned me out.  My sons still talk about how what a bunch of phoney fakes these Catholics are, and how I am delusional for being a devout Catholic.  I eventually rekindled my faith and found healing in TLM.
(07-21-2021, 08:55 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 06:48 PM)Water1965 Wrote: They were still trying it in the late 70s & early 80s when I was in high school.
I'd like to know how many hours were spent in meetings, how much money was paid to consultants and supposed experts to develop programs that were going to draw the young into the church.

Epic fail.

And they kept right on trying it even tho' failure was staring them in the face. As recently as the early 2000s the Cathedral across the street from my house had a 'Youth Mass' at 5 PM on Sundays. Occasionally, because of my work schedule, it was the only Mass I could attend. 

There was a 'band' of ageing, tie-dyed hippies playing the guitar, tambourines, etc. The 'youth' were supposed to fill all the 'ministries', readers, ushers, and so forth. There were so few 'youth' that attended the 'Youth Mass' that I usually got asked along with some other old farts, to take up the collection.

That's interesting.  A parish in a neighboring city has a 5:30 PM "Youth Mass" as well.  Until a few years ago, I would occasionally attend, for reasons that were similar to yours.  The band, readers, ushers, etc., were all teens.  This has sparked an idea, of sorts, for me to try out.  My diocese is mostly rural and small towns.  A few parishes would offer an occasional TLM but there was never a parish that offered one every Sunday.  I don't know what, if anything, that might mean. But I think I might spend a number of upcoming Sundays visiting different parishes and seeing just what the NOM looks like throughout my diocese.
(07-21-2021, 06:45 PM)muffinman145 Wrote: It's possible, but like our Lord said, look at the fruits. TLM parishes have vocations and devout orthodox faithful in heaps. The wreckovation era brought about tremendous scandal, loss of trust, apostasy and bad catechesis.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I find it curious that TC was published during the Seventh Week after the Octave of Pentecost, when the Gospel warns us of false shepherd, tells us that a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bring forth good fruit, and by their fruits we will know them.
(07-21-2021, 10:09 PM)Paul Wrote: Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I find it curious that TC was published during the Seventh Week after the Octave of Pentecost, when the Gospel warns us of false shepherd, tells us that a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bring forth good fruit, and by their fruits we will know them.

And at the NO, the 'First Reading is Jeremias 23:1-6 (From the USCCB website):

Woe to the shepherds
who mislead and scatter the flock of my pasture,
says the LORD. 
Therefore, thus says the LORD, the God of Israel,
against the shepherds who shepherd my people:
You have scattered my sheep and driven them away. 
You have not cared for them,
but I will take care to punish your evil deeds. 
I myself will gather the remnant of my flock
from all the lands to which I have driven them
and bring them back to their meadow;
there they shall increase and multiply. 
I will appoint shepherds for them who will shepherd them
so that they need no longer fear and tremble;
and none shall be missing, says the LORD.

Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD,
        when I will raise up a righteous shoot to David;
    as king he shall reign and govern wisely,
        he shall do what is just and right in the land.
    In his days Judah shall be saved,
        Israel shall dwell in security.
    This is the name they give him:
        “The LORD our justice.”

It sounds to me like an 'indictment' of certain of our 'shepherds' today.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • HailGilbert, PilgrimMichelangelo
(07-21-2021, 10:19 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 10:09 PM)Paul Wrote: Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I find it curious that TC was published during the Seventh Week after the Octave of Pentecost, when the Gospel warns us of false shepherd, tells us that a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bring forth good fruit, and by their fruits we will know them.

And at the NO, the 'First Reading is Jeremias 23:1-6 (From the USCCB website):

Woe to the shepherds
who mislead and scatter the flock of my pasture,
says the LORD. 
Therefore, thus says the LORD, the God of Israel,
against the shepherds who shepherd my people:
You have scattered my sheep and driven them away. 
You have not cared for them,
but I will take care to punish your evil deeds. 
I myself will gather the remnant of my flock
from all the lands to which I have driven them
and bring them back to their meadow;
there they shall increase and multiply. 
I will appoint shepherds for them who will shepherd them
so that they need no longer fear and tremble;
and none shall be missing, says the LORD.

Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD,
        when I will raise up a righteous shoot to David;
    as king he shall reign and govern wisely,
        he shall do what is just and right in the land.
    In his days Judah shall be saved,
        Israel shall dwell in security.
    This is the name they give him:
        “The LORD our justice.”

It sounds to me like an 'indictment' of certain of our 'shepherds' today.

Maybe we get the bishops we deserve, just like we get the leaders we deserve.
(07-21-2021, 10:44 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Maybe we get the bishops we deserve, just like we get the leaders we deserve.

I don't remember which saint said it, but he said when God is thoroughly angry at us, His worst punishment is bad clergy. Given what we've been doing for the past 60 years, including the sexual revolution and the millions of souls deprived of heaven because of it, we deserve it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • austenbosten
(07-22-2021, 10:04 PM)Paul Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 10:44 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Maybe we get the bishops we deserve, just like we get the leaders we deserve.

I don't remember which saint said it, but he said when God is thoroughly angry at us, His worst punishment is bad clergy. Given what we've been doing for the past 60 years, including the sexual revolution and the millions of souls deprived of heaven because of it, we deserve it.

Also remember how merciful God is too. We really don't get the clergy we deserve. Despite all of this hubaloo...the Pope did not abolish the Tridentine Mass and many of the bishops are retaining the status quo.
(07-22-2021, 10:33 PM)austenbosten Wrote: the Pope did not abolish the Tridentine Mass ...

However, he did make it crystal clear in the Letter to the Bishops that accompanied the motu proprio that that is the game plan.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(07-22-2021, 10:04 PM)Paul Wrote:

I don't remember which saint said it, but he said when God is thoroughly angry at us, His worst punishment is bad clergy. Given what we've been doing for the past 60 years, including the Sexual Revolution and the millions of souls deprived of Heaven because of it, we deserve it.

That would be St. John Eudes who made that observation.
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G. K. Chesterton