Can I Ask Pastoral Questions?
Hey everyone.

I have questions that essentially are "I am currently in x circumstance, what should I do?"

I'm not sure where to draw the line between decisions that I should leave to my own wisdom, and decisions that are a definite "you should do y in x circumstance."

Would this forum be an appropriate place to ask such questions?
(07-21-2021, 10:20 AM)CookedFood Wrote: Hey everyone.

I have questions that essentially are "I am currently in x circumstance, what should I do?"

I'm not sure where to draw the line between decisions that I should leave to my own wisdom, and decisions that are a definite "you should do y in x circumstance."

It's not inappropriate per se, but you really need to speak to a qualified spiritual director, especially if there are any moral implications. The best you can get from any of us is amateur advice, and that's not something you should place the fate of your soul in.
[-] The following 4 users Like Melkite's post:
  • CookedFood, hitheringwaters, J Michael, Marmot
(07-21-2021, 10:33 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 10:20 AM)CookedFood Wrote: Hey everyone.

It's not inappropriate per se, but you really need to speak to a qualified spiritual director, especially if there are any moral implications.  The best you can get from any of us is amateur advice, and that's not something you should place the fate of your soul in.
Hmm, so a spiritual director can not only be used to help you grow in holiness but can also provide answers to questions that pertain to what to do now that one is in x circumstance?
(07-21-2021, 10:51 AM)CookedFood Wrote: Hmm, so a spiritual director can not only be used to help you grow in holiness but can also provide answers to questions that pertain to what to do now that one is in x circumstance?

I don't know what circumstance you're referring to, but if it is related to your faith or how to apply it, that would be the appropriate person to see. If it's a medical concern, see a doctor. If it's a financial concern, see a financial analyst.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • CookedFood
(07-21-2021, 11:30 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 10:51 AM)CookedFood Wrote: Hmm, so a spiritual director can not only be used to help you grow in holiness but can also provide answers to questions that pertain to what to do now that one is in x circumstance?

I don't know what circumstance you're referring to, but if it is related to your faith or how to apply it, that would be the appropriate person to see.  If it's a medical concern, see a doctor.  If it's a financial concern, see a financial analyst.
Yes, of course, sorry for not being clear enough haha.
(07-21-2021, 11:30 AM)Melkite Wrote:

I don't know what circumstance you're referring to, but if it is related to your faith or how to apply it, that would be the appropriate person to see.  If it's a medical concern, see a doctor.  If it's a financial concern, see a financial analyst.
Sorry to bother you, but would you mind if I provided you some questions that I have just to make sure we're on the same page with what kind of (application of faith-related) questions I have?
Actually Melkite, I just found out that the forum is for adults.

I should probably stop posting here from now on.
How old are you, CookedFood?
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.