Is it a sin to resist TC?
I need some feedback.  Is it a sin to resist Traditionis Custodes?

I feel torn on this.  On the one hand, I do not want to resist the pope's laws.  On the other hand, as the SSPX says, TC is not a valid law because it does not serve the common good.

Am I safe in defying and resisting TC?  Or do I need to go to confession for expressing my resistance?
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
(07-21-2021, 01:10 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I need some feedback.  Is it a sin to resist Traditionis Custodes?

Are you a bishop who's deciding whether to allow the traditional Mass, and, if so, where it will be and which priests can say it?

Or are you a priest who's wanting to say the Mass?

If you're neither, there's nothing in it that applies to you, so there's nothing to resist.
[-] The following 4 users Like Paul's post:
  • Bryan, HailGilbert, J Michael, jovan66102
You're a lay person. You don't have the capacity to "resist" this disciplinary law. Just continue to attendass wherever you attend mass. I got back and forth to an SSPX chapel and went ahead and asked my diocesan priest if that was okay, and he said attending the SSPX is not an act of schism. The CDF has said it fulfills our obligation and is okay to contribute to their collections. 'Nuf said.
[-] The following 1 user Likes muffinman145's post:
  • Bryan
But is it a sin to express rejection of TC?
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
(07-21-2021, 01:25 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: But is it a sin to express rejection of TC?
Not trying to be rude but that seriously is a question for your priest. I don't personally think so, but I'd stay away from attacking the Pope.
(07-21-2021, 01:25 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: But is it a sin to express rejection of TC?
I think, like Paul said above, if you're not a priest or bishop, there's nothing for you to reject.  Either you go to a Latin Mass where available, or you don't.
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • Justin Tertius
As far as I know, TC is directed to the bishops.  I'm not sure how a layperson could resist it.  We're not charged with implementing it or requesting permission from the bishop to offer the Mass.  The closest direct action to resisting might be attending a TLM that is not approved by your bishop.  For that, I'd suggest that canon law might be on your side:

Quote:Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

The TLM is, obviously, a Catholic rite that is offered by a Catholic priest.  Any questions about the permissibility of the priest and/or bishop offering the TLM on terms other than TC's stipulations wouldn't seem to have a direct effect on you.  This might be very much like the situation of the SSPX, whose Masses the faithful can attend, despite the unresolved canonical situation.

Quote:But is it a sin to express rejection of TC?

I'd think you're free to believe, and express openly, a belief that TC should be abrogated.  This decree isn't a matter of divine law per se.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 4 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • ActusFidei313, HailGilbert, J Michael, jovan66102
I'm having weird formatting issues, with a bunch of extra spaces showing up between paragraphs and quotes in my posts.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
(07-21-2021, 01:33 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: I'm having weird formatting issues, with a bunch of extra spaces showing up between paragraphs and quotes in my posts.
And I no longer have my beloved "edit" button.

EDIT:  That was weird--as soon as I posted this, the edit button reappeared!  Are there gremlins in the system??
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • Anon777
From Mediator Dei of Pope Pius XII

Quote:58. It follows from this that the Sovereign Pontiff alone enjoys the right to recognize and establish any practice touching the worship of God, to introduce and approve new rites, as also to modify those he judges to require modification.[50] Bishops, for their part, have the right and duty carefully to watch over the exact observance of the prescriptions of the sacred canons respecting divine worship.[51] Private individuals, therefore, even though they be clerics, may not be left to decide for themselves in these holy and venerable matters, involving as they do the religious life of Christian society along with the exercise of the priesthood of Jesus Christ and worship of God; concerned as they are with the honor due to the Blessed Trinity, the Word Incarnate and His august mother and the other saints, and with the salvation of souls as well. For the same reason no private person has any authority to regulate external practices of this kind, which are intimately bound up with Church discipline and with the order, unity and concord of the Mystical Body and frequently even with the integrity of Catholic faith itself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • SeekerofChrist