Are the syrian desert-fathers the most powerful saints to pray to?
Lightbulb 
Maybe im viewing prayer and sainthood in an antrophomorphical/superstitious way,but are simeon the stylite, daniel the stylite,theodoe(who lived in an iron cage for some years) more powerful in heaven than visionaries or medieval saints? I think only the early irish saints compare in raw terms of penance.
Ive been reading biographies of saints and the desert monks seem the most mortified in sleep,fasting,and uncomfortable body postures. I know thinking heaven is hiearchical IS within the faith;but does this hieararchy apply to the power of saints?

related note: I had confession yesterday ,i had done some bad stuff,now im trying to get back in the right track and aim for holyness.
(07-21-2021, 04:40 PM)xsantiagox Wrote: Maybe im viewing prayer and sainthood in an antrophomorphical/superstitious way,but are simeon the stylite, daniel the stylite,theodoe(who lived in an iron cage for some years) more powerful in heaven than visionaries or medieval saints? I think only the early irish saints compare in raw terms of penance.
Ive been reading biographies of saints and the desert monks seem the most mortified in sleep,fasting,and uncomfortable body postures. I know thinking heaven is hiearchical IS within the faith;but does this hieararchy apply to the power of saints?

related note: I had confession yesterday ,i had done some bad stuff,now im trying to get back in the right track and aim for holyness.

The best saints to pray to are the ones you feel most close to because your prayers will be more earnest and ergo more efficacious as you develop a devotion to them and attempt to model your life after theirs.

Which is why the Church has so many of them.
[-] The following 10 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • ActusFidei313, AnaCarolina1, Augustinian, Catherine, Grandma, HailGilbert, Ioannes_L, J Michael, newenglandsun, Ptochos
St. Therese of Liseux, pray for us.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 3 users Like Clare Brigid's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, Augustinian, HailGilbert
For me it's St Anthony of Padua.
[-] The following 3 users Like Eric F's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, Augustinian, HailGilbert
No saint is more powerful than Our Lady. That said, I agree with austen's point. Recall that you're building a relationship with a person, not just a symbol or a figure. And the more you are involved in that relationship, the closer you become and the more efficacious the graces that saint will gain for you, and through them the stronger your union with God will be. That's why we have to pray, pray, pray at all times. Therefore, while these saints may appear "more powerful" to some, to others they may not be simply because those individuals don't have as strong of a bond with them.

Anecdotally, aside from St. Joseph and Our Lady, I pray daily to St. Margaret Mary, St. Augustine, Pope St. Pius X, and St. John of the Cross, among others, and have received tremendous guidance and graces from them. While I haven't from other saints that I only occasionally pray to, simply because I haven't built up a relationship with them.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 6 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • austenbosten, ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, Grandma, HailGilbert, jovan66102, oldrover
May the Abba Makarius intercede on our behalf.
I agree about developing devotion to the saint who listens to you. Besides the Blessed Virgin, my favorite saint is St Elizabeth Ann Seton. Other than living an hour away from her shrine and thus able to visit regularly, there isn't anything in particular about her life that would make her my special patron. But whenever I stumble or fall or have a crisis, she is the one who listens me and brings me to Mary and thus to Jesus. 

Just talk to the saint about your problems, fears, worries, as well as your joys and successes. If the saint has a rapport with you, it doesn't matter what others might say they are "good for."

Otoh, there are the traditional saints for particular situations. I've found that approaching them superstitiously doesn't get me very far. But when I read their lives - even if they are unproven "legends," and pray for the grace to imitate their virtues, 9 times out of 10 they will reach out and help with their traditional area of expertise. 

Just be aware there are many saints that share areas of specialty and some may relate with you better than others.

It's not superstition. They really are glorified human beings. They love everyone and want the best for everyone but just like saints on earth, they have preferences for the types of people they interact with. So St. Barbara and St George are known to help you overcome obstacles and difficult conditions and to inspire courage. But their personalities are very different and I believe they just "click" with some people more than others.
(07-21-2021, 04:40 PM)xsantiagox Wrote: Maybe im viewing prayer and sainthood in an antrophomorphical/superstitious way,but are simeon the stylite, daniel the stylite,theodoe(who lived in an iron cage for some years) more powerful in heaven than visionaries or medieval saints? I think only the early irish saints compare in raw terms of penance.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ptochos's post:
  • AnaCarolina1
(07-22-2021, 05:48 PM)Ptochos Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 04:40 PM)xsantiagox Wrote: Maybe im viewing prayer and sainthood in an does this  apply to the power of saints?

Honestly, how can I have neglected to give thanks to St Philomena, Powerful with God. She really is powerful and seems very willing to find new devotees after being removed from the Newchurch calendar and having her cult suppressed by Paul 6
[-] The following 2 users Like Ptochos's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, HailGilbert
Off hand various friends have said St Joseph, St Jude, St Francis of Assisi, St Therese of Lisieux, St Nicholas, and The Poor Souls In Purgatory, as well as my favorite St Anthony of Padua.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eric F's post:
  • HailGilbert