Cdl. Cupich response to Motu TC
For now, Latin Masses in the Archdiocese of Chicago remain in place:

STATEMENT OF CARDINAL BLASE CUPICH ON TRADITIONIS CUSTODES
I am grateful to Pope Francis for issuing on July 16, 2021, an apostolic letter entitled Traditionis Custodes(“Guardians of the Tradition”).His letter gives directions about the use of the liturgical forms prior to the reforms of 1970, that is, the use of the Roman Missal published under the auspices of Pope St. John XXIII in 1962.In doing so, Pope Francis follows a trajectory from Pope St. John Paul II through Pope Benedict XVI and into his own pontificate with regard to the use of this earlier Missal.His concern is the unity of the Church.Very properly, by entrusting the implementation of his directives to local diocesan bishops, he restores the principle that the bishop is the chief liturgist in the diocese.In response to the letter I will take time to study, reflect and consult with others on it and in due time offer a pathway for implementing what the Holy Father has asked us to do, keeping in mind the principle of unity and the ability to appropriately authorize the useof the Missal of 1962.In the meanwhile, current practices with regard to the 1962 Missal remain in place.My hope and prayer, as always and in communion with the Holy Father, is for the unity of the Church.I also pray that this will be an occasion for all of us to deepen our understanding and appreciation of the worship life of the Church, the Eucharist and the liturgical renewal of the Second Vatican Council which, St. Pope John Paul affirmed, represents the “movement of the Holy Spirit in the Church.” Apostolic Letter, VICESIMUS QUINTUS ANNUS, 12, 1988.
Unlike a mostly rural diocese like mine, Cupich has a lot of TLM parishes in his neighborhood.
We can hope he will mostly leave them alone to prevent the hate and discontent poking them with this would cause, at least until he can make it look like somebody else's fault.
This may be an instance where his lack of a functioning spine serves a good purpose.
“Tradition is so strong, that future generations will dream of what they never saw.” — G.K. Chesterton

"It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive.”
Charles Peguy 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Water1965's post:
  • karl
Cupich has the Canons of St. John Cantius under him.

They say the correct version of the Novus Ordo -- reverent, ad orientem, with chant and organ and Latin.

If he takes the TLM away from them, then their version of the Novus Ordo might spread far and wide. That'd be dangerous.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • karl
(07-21-2021, 10:11 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: Cupich has the Canons of St. John Cantius under him.

They say the correct version of the Novus Ordo -- reverent, ad orientem, with chant and organ and Latin.

If he takes the TLM away from them, then their version of the Novus Ordo might spread far and wide.  That'd be dangerous.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing that.
(07-21-2021, 10:11 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: Cupich has the Canons of St. John Cantius under him.

Which is what I have been trying to say the last two days with everyone jumping on me and calling me everything from a "Boomer" to a "non-Trad" to a "Bogus Ordo lover"

Many of the bishops who are already struggling with parishes having to be merged and closed are not going to willy-nilly shut down TLM parishes that are faithful and make money and I mentioned St John Cantius as an example.

[Image: 200.webp?cid=ecf05e47dpcixikqbd8rwu6og2e....webp&ct=g]
[-] The following 2 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, SeekerofChrist
(07-21-2021, 10:43 PM)austenbosten Wrote:

Which is what I have been trying to say the last two days with everyone jumping on me and calling me everything from a "Boomer" to a "non-Trad" to a "Bogus Ordo lover"

Many of the bishops who are already struggling with parishes having to be merged and closed are not going to willy-nilly shut down TLM parishes that are faithful and make money and I mentioned St John Cantius as an example.

[Image: 200.webp?cid=ecf05e47dpcixikqbd8rwu6og2e....webp&ct=g]

ok boomer
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • austenbosten
(07-21-2021, 10:59 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: ok boomer

[Image: 200.webp?cid=ecf05e47jddosplrsqpf5qherl7....webp&ct=g]
[-] The following 4 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, Fionnchu, J Michael, karl
Very interesting that one of Pope Francis’s closest confidants is also not rushing to implement his directive.  I am not the first to say this makes no sense, and this has not been well received at all globally… Anthony Stein said something today about two other close collaborators of Francis being critical of him and beginning to distance themselves.  Any possibility this was a setup by the real insiders in the Curia who pull the strings, to set Francis up for his early exit?
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Tax Collector's post:
  • Clare Brigid
(07-22-2021, 12:55 AM)The Tax Collector Wrote: Very interesting that one of Pope Francis’s closest confidants is also not rushing to implement his directive.  I am not the first to say this makes no sense, and this has not been well received at all globally… Anthony Stein said something today about two other close collaborators of Francis being critical of him and beginning to distance themselves.  Any possibility this was a setup by the real insiders in the Curia who pull the strings, to set Francis up for his early exit?
You make a great point I've never thought of it like that.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
Cupich is firstly a keen administrator. He has always weighed the pragmatic pros and cons of such decisions. When he shuts something down, it's because he knows it won't affect the diocese or him. Just look at his history with the Latin Mass (or the Latinization of the Novus Ordo) in his previous two assignments.