Discouraged and Struggling with Marital Chastity
(07-25-2021, 03:56 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 03:54 PM)Bryan Wrote: Yup, your observation about celibate priests advising on how to navigate married life occurred to me too, as I’m sure it has occurred to millions of others over the millennia.

If you don't assume that every priest is a secret masturbator, as the other comment seemed to suggest, they're actually the best people for the job.

Celibate priests are the ones who are winning the war against the flesh. Who better to advise us?

If being good at basketball got you to Heaven, would you want to be led by Lebron James or some random jerk who can't sink a single shot?

I have no idea if any given priest is winning the war against the flesh, and neither do you. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. I don’t assume any is lying, but they’re human beings just like anyone else.

Furthermore, their war is fundamentally different than the war fought by the non-celibate, IMO. Total denial of one of the strongest urges one can feel might be easier than partial denial. “You can’t smoke cigarettes at all” might be easier to comply with than “You can smoke all you want under certain circumstances and not at all under others.”

My doubts may not be dispositive of anything, but they’re reasonable to wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bryan's post:
  • mloen
(07-25-2021, 04:06 PM)Bryan Wrote: they’re human beings just like anyone else.

Plenty of human beings go for years, decades, or even a lifetime without committing these sins against nature.

And even if they didn't, it's no excuse.

The road is narrow.
[-] The following 4 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Anon777, DNJC.org, jovan66102, pspark
Don’t say that ”the Church” forbids sins against chastity. It is God himself who forbids them. And trusting you will be able to overcome your vices by the grace of God is not being naive, it is having hope.
[-] The following 5 users Like Marmot's post:
  • Anon777, ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, DNJC.org, jovan66102, pspark
(07-25-2021, 04:49 PM)Marmot Wrote: Don’t say that ”the Church” forbids sins against chastity. It is God himself who forbids them. And trusting you will be able to overcome your vices by the grace of God is not being naive, it is having hope.

Well friend, you're already assuming something or other is a sin against chastity.
My point is not to allow sin, but to think what is and what is not.
(07-25-2021, 05:13 PM)mloen Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:49 PM)Marmot Wrote: Don’t say that ”the Church” forbids sins against chastity. It is God himself who forbids them. And trusting you will be able to overcome your vices by the grace of God is not being naive, it is having hope.

Well friend, you're already assuming something or other is a sin against chastity.

What are you proposing is not a sin against chastity?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • mloen
@SacraCor714, I just accidentally glanced at your profile. (fat finger on the iPhone LOL)

If, as I hope and pray, you discuss this with a priest in or out of the confessional, keep in mind what you wrote there. If it was a comment made in jest, fine. You're much younger than I, so I can see that. :) If not, perhaps this is something you have an issue with, much like the wealthy man who spoke to Jesus.

Again, God's blessings on you. I've already prayed for you and will continue.
[-] The following 2 users Like oldrover's post:
  • Roger Buck, SacraCor714

(07-25-2021, 05:21 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:

What are you proposing is not a sin against chastity?

I believe the OP and the thread were very clear: we are talking about the idea that every conjugal act should have as an end the procreation and therefore everthing surrounding the conjugal act should end in the manner that allows for procreation.

You know, the "every sperm is sacred" thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mloen's post:
  • Bryan
(07-25-2021, 05:51 PM)mloen Wrote: I believe the OP and the thread were very clear: we are talking about the idea that every conjugal act should have as an end the procreation and therefore everthing surrounding the conjugal act should end in the manner that allows for procreation.

So are you saying that ethics and morals should not be based in teleology?
(07-25-2021, 04:42 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:06 PM)Bryan Wrote: they’re human beings just like anyone else.

Plenty of human beings go for years, decades, or even a lifetime without committing these sins against nature.

And even if they didn't, it's no excuse.

The road is narrow.

I’m not convinced that what the OP is complaining about is a sin against nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(07-25-2021, 05:51 PM)mloen Wrote: I believe the OP and the thread were very clear: we are talking about the idea that every conjugal act should have as an end the procreation and therefore everthing surrounding the conjugal act should end in the manner that allows for procreation.

You know, the "every sperm is sacred" thing.

If Monty Python contributes to your moral formation in a nonnegligible way, you will undoubtedly end up in hell.

I think they're hilarious, but it's hardly an argument against the Church's teaching regarding the sexual act.

(07-25-2021, 06:10 PM)Bryan Wrote: I’m not convinced that what the OP is complaining about is a sin against nature.

https://www.newadvent.org/summa/3154.htm
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Anon777