"Keep me from what is common place" Prayer search
There is a prayer I've been trying to locate for a long time that we used to say at prayers every now and then at my Benedictine school in England, it's Catholic but could possibly be said in Anglican High Church as well.

The line that I can particularly remember had something like this in it.

"Keep me from what is common place" or "deliver me from what is common place"

It generally had the theme of sticking to the narrow path and not going with the grain.

It was not Matthew 7:13 but could have incorporated that.

That's all I really have to go off, I remember the prayer generally but can't put words to it.

Would appreciate any help, thanks.
Actually it is the common place or the ordinary that we will find our salvation. It is why so little was written about the hidden life of Jesus before his public ministry. Sometimes it is through the small things known only to you and God that will give greater glory to God.
(07-31-2021, 05:17 AM)benedicite Wrote: Actually it is the common place or the ordinary that we will find our salvation. It is why so little was written about the hidden life of Jesus before his public ministry. Sometimes it is through the small things known only to you and God that will give greater glory to God.

The OP's prayer is not an indictment of the way of the Little Flower and other saints who advocated for the joyful fulfillment of ordinary duties.

"Deliver me from what is commonplace" is a request for the graces to rise above the lust of the eyes and the material cares of this world, to yearn instead for the eternal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • jovan66102
(07-31-2021, 10:17 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 05:17 AM)benedicite Wrote: Actually it is the common place or the ordinary that we will find our salvation. It is why so little was written about the hidden life of Jesus before his public ministry. Sometimes it is through the small things known only to you and God that will give greater glory to God.

The OP's prayer is not an indictment of the way of the Little Flower and other saints who advocated for the joyful fulfillment of ordinary duties.

"Deliver me from what is commonplace" is a request for the graces to rise above the lust of the eyes and the material cares of this world, to yearn instead for the eternal.

Yes the latter was the notion I got from the prayer, but I also took it to mean the activities of the low minded or those that live in perpertual distraction, the crowd / mob.

If anyone can help me locate the prayer I would be very grateful.

It may have been something said at Vespers but I cannot be sure of that.