Catholic role model in your life?
Just curious if anyone has a Catholic role model in their family or life. Someone who lived the faith and inspired you?

For me, it is my maternal grandmother and her father. My grandmother is the only person I've ever seen practice the faith in my life. The only one. Now, that didn't mean much to me until I was about 28 but when the time was right it all clicked. And her faith all came from her father, who I didn't know much as he went to his eternal reward when I was 7. But as I grew up and learned more about him, it widened my eyes to how a man can live as a Catholic. He was a hard working, gentle and faithful man. A man not of vices or impurity, but devotion to his wife and multiple daughters. He attended Mass, prayed a Rosary daily (first time I ever heard of a man praying it, true story) and no one throughout three generations had ever a bad word to say about him. And my grandmother copied all of those traits. To this day she can remember going to Mass as a young girl, to the same Church her parents married in, that she married in and had all of her children baptized and one of her grandchildren (me!) baptized in.

Before my reversion, I used to think how my family never really passed down any inheritances. No big land or gold, alas. But I realized shortly thereafter they did pass down something to me. And that was the Catholic faith.

Do you guys have any similar stories?
[-] The following 3 users Like choosetowitness's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, Grandma, Online_Knight
My godmother
https://historyofnewengland.blogspot.com/?m=1
"This guy gets it." Fan mail I've received.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newenglandsun's post:
  • AnaCarolina1
One downside of being a Protestant convert from a Protestant family is... no Catholic role models in the family. And my wife is a revert, but from childhood.

However, I always have the Blessed Mother and St. Joseph... my spiritual mother and father. :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes oldrover's post:
  • AnaCarolina1
My maternal grandmother was a nun in France, in a cloistered order. I think lovingly as she told me the day she became Sposa de Jesus.this was in late 1800s. Her face used to light up even at 98. This is what made her happy.

Then her parents removed her from the cloister and made her marry my grandfather as he had money for the family.

She reluctly left and married my grandfather. They had 2 children and separate bedrooms.

Anyway she taught me to Love Mary, how to appreciate Latin Mass, how to cover statues of saints during passiontide and extra mirrors too. She taught me about The Sacred Heart and First Friday.

She taught me about the brown scapular and of the Miraculous Medal. It's funny how she put gold tape on the serpent on her statue.

She taught me about respecting prayer time. First ours, then she sat in a chair in her bedroom, it was large and had a temp. Bed there too, as I had a sick sister.To be silent and put on your veil when taking to Jesus.
She taught me of Saints. She had a drawer in her vanity dresser full of Saint Cards, I could pick one and she'd tell me about them.

About works, we lived in a 2 family brownstone and my mom and dad and sickly sister lived upstairs. One day my mom came home and asked my grandmother why she was washing the neighbors windows.

My grandmother said because she is old. The neighbor was like 70 something. My grandmother was 90
*she put gold tape to cover the devil.
Caryll Houselander
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this:  Irish Grandmother
Jesus.

My father (he lives 30 minutes from where I live).

One of my aunts (she actually lives close to me).

The last two make an effort to practice Catholicism, unlike the rest of my family (God bless them).

I came to the Faith this year, I don't know many Catholics IRL aside from them, and the people I see at Mass. I hope this changes in due time, I want devote Catholic friends.
(07-27-2021, 10:31 PM)Psalm13 Wrote: The last two make an effort to practice Catholicism, unlike the rest of my family (God bless them).

I came to the Faith this year, I don't know many Catholics IRL aside from them, and the people I see at Mass. I hope this changes in due time, I want devote Catholic friends.

Same here in regards to the family. Of the dozens of cousins I have, I'm the only one who maintained any semblance of the faith we were all given as babies. All gone in a single generation (60s-90s). I wonder if future Catholic thinkers will have a name for those(these?) faithless years.

Also, when it comes to friends - don't worry it will happen. Outside of sporadic, casual small-talk with some of the other parents at our parish, it's been upwards of three years to even begin to make inroads with the larger community. Granted, COVID was right in the middle of that and some stuff was cancelled but still.
[-] The following 1 user Likes choosetowitness's post:
  • Psalm13