Kilts
(07-27-2021, 06:33 AM)FultonFan Wrote: Here’s a random kilt story. When my grandmother died and we were at the graveyard about to bury my grandmother, my buddy from high school’s girlfriend’s father randomly appeared dressed in the full Scottish bagpipes attire (including bagpipes) and began to play Amazing Grace. I’m pretty sure a cousin of mine had gotten him to be there.

And a random funeral and Amazing Grace story. For many years, including when I lived in Edmonton, Randy Bachman, of Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive, had a radio show on CBC One called Vinyl Tap. He played audio recordings, primarily classic rock, while reminiscing about personal encounters with famous artists and musicians from his 50-year career in rock music. Before they separated, his wife, the singer, Denise McCann, co-hosted the show. 

One night, when I was listening, the subject of funerals came up. Randy said it might be an idea to do a show on music people wanted played at their funeral. I immediately emailed and said that if they did the show, I wanted Amazing Grace at mine. (Yes, I know it's a protty hymn, but played on the pipes the words aren't sung!).

At the next break, Denise announced that they had gotten the first response to the funeral show and read my name and email. A few weeks later, they did the show. Randy said that their first request had been from Jovan Weismiller for Amazing Grace. Then he said, 'I doubt, tho' if this was the version he expected', and played a syncopated jazz version of the song. It was pretty, but not exactly 'funeral music'!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • AnaCarolina1, FultonFan
(07-27-2021, 01:53 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I've worn a kilt. I find it to be one of the most comfortable garments there is. Would I wear one now? Not bloody likely! I live in rural Nebraska.

I think a lot of the difference in reaction simply comes from the local culture. When I lived in Edmonton, it was not unusual to see a businessman on the bus on his way to the office, wearing a kilt, carrying his briefcase. Of course, Edmonton historically has had a large Scottish presence. In the first election the town held, the ballots were printed in both English and Scots Gaelic because many of the locals spoke no English. Burn's Night is a big thing (and it always includes haggis, which I love!), there's a statue of Robert Burns in front of the MacDonald Hotel (note the Scottish name), etc. etc.

On the other hand, my uncle was a sergeant in the Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's), a kilted regiment. When I was a boy he came to visit us in Kansas. He wore his uniform one day to go downtown. He almost caused traffic accidents on the main street and I'm surprised he didn't get sued for causing whiplash in the people who kept staring as they drove by!

Wow. My Grandad was Scottish, and during WW2 he was a Sargent in the RAF. He was stationed in Canada only I don't know precisely where abouts. He didn't wear a kilt as an airman but when he was in the army cadets as a young man he wore a Black Watch Kilt as part of the uniform 
(07-27-2021, 05:32 PM)AlixSmith Wrote: Wow. My Grandad was Scottish, and during WW2 he was a Sargent in the RAF. He was stationed in Canada only I don't know precisely where abouts. He didn't wear a kilt as an airman but when he was in the army cadets as a young man he wore a Black Watch Kilt as part of the uniform 

The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's) wears the Hunting Stewart tartan.

[Image: 1%2Bhuntingstewart.jpeg]
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(07-27-2021, 04:45 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 06:33 AM)FultonFan Wrote: Here’s a random kilt story. When my grandmother died and we were at the graveyard about to bury my grandmother, my buddy from high school’s girlfriend’s father randomly appeared dressed in the full Scottish bagpipes attire (including bagpipes) and began to play Amazing Grace. I’m pretty sure a cousin of mine had gotten him to be there.

And a random funeral and Amazing Grace story. For many years, including when I lived in Edmonton, Randy Bachman, of Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive, had a radio show on CBC One called Vinyl Tap. He played audio recordings, primarily classic rock, while reminiscing about personal encounters with famous artists and musicians from his 50-year career in rock music. Before they separated, his wife, the singer, Denise McCann, co-hosted the show. 

One night, when I was listening, the subject of funerals came up. Randy said it might be an idea to do a show on music people wanted played at their funeral. I immediately emailed and said that if they did the show, I wanted Amazing Grace at mine. (Yes, I know it's a protty hymn, but played on the pipes the words aren't sung!).

At the next break, Denise announced that they had gotten the first response to the funeral show and read my name and email. A few weeks later, they did the show. Randy said that their first request had been from Jovan Weismiller for Amazing Grace. Then he said, 'I doubt, tho' if this was the version he expected', and played a syncopated jazz version of the song. It was pretty, but not exactly 'funeral music'!
Wow, that’s wild!

I saw Bachman and Cummings back in 2005.
Very talented musicians, certainly.
(07-27-2021, 07:21 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Wow, that’s wild!

I saw The Guess Who in 1984. Cummings is so mega-talented it's ridiculous. He has a song about my zip code, 46201 (below). Not my favorite Guess Who tune, but it's OK:

T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Do men wear underwear under a kilt.
(07-29-2021, 03:53 PM)AnaCarolina1 Wrote: Do men wear underwear under a kilt.
No. I believe this was established in an ancient episode of The Fairly Oddparents.
https://historyofnewengland.blogspot.com/?m=1
"This guy gets it." Fan mail I've received.
The only kilt I wore was a rain kilt. Silicone impregnated nylon that kept my nethers dry while hiking. Easy to put on and take off.
Well there's a business opportunity- matching kilt underwear.
Lol.
(07-27-2021, 09:07 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 07:21 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Wow, that’s wild!

I saw The Guess Who in 1984. Cummings is so mega-talented it's ridiculous. He has a song about my zip code, 46201 (below). Not my favorite Guess Who tune, but it's OK:

that song bangs! Not going to lie! : D
"If we do not supply the chains, who will chain the supplies?"

Karl Marx I PROMISE it will work this time Vol 3

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

A German...possibly