Is there any good books on christian biographies of OT patriarchs?
Question 
Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and other israelite heroic figures like gideon,samson( he messed up at  one point tho) etc. I know judaism has a huge chunk of commentarial literature adding details to the torah,usually comment upon comment. But is there a christian version?
i have read some of butler's lives of the saints, now id love to read on the israelite prophet's lives but from a non-jewish POV.
[-] The following 1 user Likes xsantiagox's post:
  • dayafter
There is an Orthodox Christian book, The Prologue of Ochrid, that should include the lives of the Old Testament saints.

Very brief biographical notations are included in The Roman Martyrology.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clare Brigid's post:
  • xsantiagox
(07-28-2021, 03:26 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: There is an Orthodox Christian book, The Prologue of Ochrid, that should include the lives of the Old Testament saints.

Very brief biographical notations are included in The Roman Martyrology.
The Prologue of Ohrid does in fact have many biographies of saints and Old Testament Saints. Depending on how major they are. If one is really interested in the lives of Old Testament Saints though, I strongly recommend reading the Bible, vol. I, the Old Testament, which comes in many translations, the best being the RSV-CE.
https://historyofnewengland.blogspot.com/?m=1
"This guy gets it." Fan mail I've received.
i've mentioned catherine emmerich on here before and i don't know how anyone else feels about her visions but in the life of jesus christ and biblical revelations there's a hundred some pages in the beginning about the old testament and then later she talks about more specific episodes where they have any bearing on the doings of our lord during his public ministry (the story of jephtha from judges for example)

st gregory of nyssa also wrote a life of moses but i've never read that
(07-29-2021, 09:05 AM)dayafter Wrote: i've mentioned catherine emmerich on here before and i don't know how anyone else feels about her visions but in the life of jesus christ and biblical revelations there's a hundred some pages in the beginning about the old testament and then later she talks about more specific episodes where they have any bearing on the doings of our lord during his public ministry (the story of jephtha from judges for example)

Like anyone, St. Anne is not infallible on matters which pertain to fact but she provides good insight to the culture all the same. I obviously don't agree with her views on St. Joseph as I follow the Eastern Tradition on that but this is matters concerning fact, not faith.
https://historyofnewengland.blogspot.com/?m=1
"This guy gets it." Fan mail I've received.
(07-29-2021, 09:09 AM)newenglandsun Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 09:05 AM)dayafter Wrote: i've mentioned catherine emmerich on here before and i don't know how anyone else feels about her visions but in the life of jesus christ and biblical revelations there's a hundred some pages in the beginning about the old testament and then later she talks about more specific episodes where they have any bearing on the doings of our lord during his public ministry (the story of jephtha from judges for example)

Like anyone, St. Anne is not infallible on matters which pertain to fact but she provides good insight to the culture all the same. I obviously don't agree with her views on St. Joseph as I follow the Eastern Tradition on that but this is matters concerning fact, not faith.
What are the differences between the Eastern and Western traditions concerning St. Joseph?
“Take my advice and live for a long, long time. Because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die.” 

“When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!” 

- Don Quixote
(07-29-2021, 11:12 AM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: What are the differences between the Eastern and Western traditions concerning St. Joseph?

West: Young Virgin

East: Elderly Widower
[-] The following 1 user Likes MacPasquale's post:
  • Memories_in_Rain