For others on the spectrum, is being Catholic harder?
Video 
For me, it definitely is. So much of it seems to be tied to emotion. Emotions I simply don't feel. I like facts and information and respond best to that. Reading books, listening to sermons or lectures that try to trigger an emotional response are useless for me. In fact, sometimes they make me angry so I guess that's an emotion.

The other hard part is the relationship aspect. Relationships are very hard for me to make and maintain. People talk about needing to have a relationship with Jesus which is really hard since it seems like it's a one way relationship. I pray and go to church and at best, it feels like I'm ignored. It's really hard to maintain a relationship with someone who just ignores you. I used to have a good friend. He started hanging out with another group of people and gradually we fell apart. I'd call him and he wouldn't answer so I'd leave a voicemail and he wouldn't call back. Eventually, I just stopped calling. That's how praying feels.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bataar's post:
  • AlNg777, newenglandsun
(09-14-2021, 06:45 PM)Bataar Wrote: For me, it definitely is. So much of it seems to be tied to emotion. Emotions I simply don't feel. I like facts and information and respond best to that. Reading books, listening to sermons or lectures that try to trigger an emotional response are useless for me. In fact, sometimes they make me angry so I guess that's an emotion.

The other hard part is the relationship aspect. Relationships are very hard for me to make and maintain. People talk about needing to have a relationship with Jesus which is really hard since it seems like it's a one way relationship. I pray and go to church and at best, it feels like I'm ignored. It's really hard to maintain a relationship with someone who just ignores you. I used to have a good friend. He started hanging out with another group of people and gradually we fell apart. I'd call him and he wouldn't answer so I'd leave a voicemail and he wouldn't call back. Eventually, I just stopped calling. That's how praying feels.
I personally have found it intellectually vast for my puny brain, but I try to talk to Him like if I were a child. If it were not for Him I would be dead and worm food. He came when I was at a crisis point in my life. I am not sure how I am doing tradition-wise, though. I am best lead to live a devout life by seeing it in person. I know I no longer feel like blowing my brains out and now have a job and seem to be going places. I really wish I was with devout people in my life. I have never met a Orthodox Catholic in my life but hope to meet one. I (try) to say the rosary once a day and (try) read 20 30 minutes of scripture a day, but it is hard to be a ight in the world when you have no one to be your light.
"If we do not supply the chains, who will chain the supplies?"

Karl Marx I PROMISE it will work this time Vol 3

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

A German...possibly
Not on the spectrum (as far as I know) but certainly the emotional and relationship aspects of faith are more recessive for me. I'd also add that there's a lot of crappy emotional content out there, and the relationship aspect is often exaggerated in modern spirituality.

Fortunately, Christ and His Catholic Church makes room for those in all walks of life.

If you're more interested in the rational/philosophical aspects of Catholicism, stick with those. Read Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus, Augustine, Bonaventure, and Thomas. Understand (perhaps via cultural critics like Rene Guenon) that the world is absolutely mistaken in its focus; and know that you are correct in seeking the Good, the True, and the Beautiful.

As for regular prayer, understand it not as an invitation to God's response (for prayer is meant for man, not God). Regular prayer is assumed to be dry for the secular man. It's simply an exercise of faith, meant to be carried to its extreme. Do it every day and expect no response. As a saint once said (whose name I forget): "Keep your mind in Hell and do not despair."

Good luck, my friend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes neanderthal-slayer's post:
  • HailGilbert
Yes it definitely is. But being “on the spectrum” for women is different than men, and not as well studied. I do want a “relationship” with the Middle Eastern Storm God, but He doesn’t seem to hear. I read about the special prophets in the Old Testament and how God hears the cries of the poor/suffering, but I am truly struggling to believe it. I really want to “remain” Catholic but it truly feels like a curse. Modern Catholicism-whether it’s post- or pre-VII, or any of the wacky loon groups of either persuasion-all seems to be a complete sham. I’m not trying to diss other Catholics in general and I strongly identify with Catholic morality, but some of the stuff just seems way out there for me. I try to relate to it and “believe” but I just struggle and almost can’t.

I for the most part don’t believe in artificial contraceptives-whether it’s their use or the terrible effects they have on people and the environment (I don’t take birth control or anything like that)…but I also struggle with the fact that I need to pop out 5-10 or more kids. I see these “young”  moms with 4,5, or 6 more kids (there is one couple that had at least 11 kids who would periodically visit our parish, which isn’t “trad” at all) and some of them truly look worn out. So God bless them for the amount of kids they have but I just can’t see myself getting pregnant back-to-back in a short amount of time. This isn’t me debating about this teaching but as a woman who wants to be married and does want children, I also can’t see myself as being able to have more than maybe 2-5 kids at most even with no BC.
I find certain thoughts to be more obsessive than others. And when I'm concentrated on a particular thought, I can be weighed down by it.
https://historyofnewengland.blogspot.com/?m=1
"This guy gets it." Fan mail I've received.
How's it going Sun?
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(09-14-2021, 08:31 PM)neanderthal-slayer Wrote: As for regular prayer, understand it not as an invitation to God's response (for prayer is meant for man, not God). Regular prayer is assumed to be dry for the secular man. It's simply an exercise of faith, meant to be carried to its extreme. Do it every day and expect no response. As a saint once said (whose name I forget): "Keep your mind in Hell and do not despair."

Good luck, my friend.
That was St. Silouan the Athonite (1866-1938).  Just fyi :-)
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.