"Ethnic Diversity and the Latin Mass"
I heard on lady ask the fathers to read the epistle in Spanish along with English.
How embarrassing for Massimo Faggioli, a theology professor at a big university to publish such ignorant statements! In Singapore, we have the Extraordinary Form Community which organizes Latin masses, has a Gregorian chant schola and Latin classes. The Latin mass attracts Chinese, Filipino, African, Indian, Sri Lankan people, with the occasional person of European descent showing up. I’m Filipina-Chinese and I love the Latin Mass. 

For Faggioli to suggest I’m too dumb and uncultured to love the Latin Mass and learn Latin is totally racist. What did all those Asians and Africans before 1960 do anyway in church? They weren’t playing bongos and dancing around. 

My late grandmother, with her elementary school education in the provinces of the Philippines, had a far greater love for the Mass of Ages and an appreciation for Latin than intellectual-yet-idiot Vatican II theologians.
[-] The following 2 users Like Julia Augusta's post:
  • NoliTardare, oldrover
Personally, I would refer to Faggioli's words not as "ignorant statements", but as lies.
[-] The following 3 users Like oldrover's post:
  • benedicite, JacafamalaRedux, Jeeter
(10-14-2021, 02:59 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: I’ve seen plenty of nonwhite people at the traditional Latin Mass. We just don’t think it’s necessary to point it out.

Me too!
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • oldrover
(10-14-2021, 02:59 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: I’ve seen plenty of nonwhite people at the traditional Latin Mass. We just don’t think it’s necessary to point it out.

I agree.  And even if there aren't any non-whites at a TLM, it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with that parish or community.  Local demographics and sub-culture play a part in attendance as well.

I live in Southern Arizona, so we have a lot of whites and Latinos at our TLMs.  We don't see a lot of blacks or Asians, although there are a few. 

I've also noticed that blacks in our neck of the woods tend to go to mostly black protestant churches.  You see the same with Koreans, Chinese, and so on.  My daughter-in-law isn't trad, but attended Filipino specific masses in Phoenix before marrying my son.  It makes sense, immigrant groups tend to stick to their own for a few generations, like the Italians, Irish, Germans, etc back in the day.  I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with language and cultural norms. 

And let's not forget the bias against whites within minority communities, even if it isn't malicious.  Someone raised in a community like that isn't likely to attend mass at a church with a lot of whites.  Unfortunate, but I get it.
[-] The following 3 users Like jack89's post:
  • Fionnchu, JacafamalaRedux, jovan66102
Plenty of lily white NO Masses. Gosh, I guess he forgot to mention that!
[-] The following 1 user Likes oldrover's post:
  • Jeeter
(10-26-2021, 11:59 AM)jack89 Wrote:
Come to L.A. at either FSSP St Vitus Parish in the Latino small city of San Fernando, or St Therese's in majority-Asian and Hispanic Alhambra (Discalced Carmelite parish but has a Norbertine canon come in to say the Sunday Mass) and note how "whites" are very much in the minority, as they are in the nation's largest and heavily Latino (and lots of Korean, Filipino, and Vietnamese congregants too) Archdiocese. I've been to FSSP masses at the East L.A. Spanish-speaking chapel when I've been the only "non-BIPoC" for sure, and the follow-along's are en Espanol, with sermons split between that and English, although I'd estimate my fellow worshipers are all native speakers of the former. Another LA Arch. parish-sponsored TLM has been in the Latino area of Wilmington. In neighboring Diocese of Orange (Co.), where the Norbertines come up from their Abbey to assist at quite a few of that diocese's parishes (more than in L.A.) for Sunday TLM's, some of its very large Vietnamese community likely attend but I can't attest firsthand.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(10-27-2021, 05:45 PM)Fionnchu Wrote:
Come to L.A. at either FSSP St Vitus Parish in the Latino small city of San Fernando, or St Therese's in majority-Asian and Hispanic Alhambra (Discalced Carmelite parish but has a Norbertine canon come in to say the Sunday Mass) and note how "whites" are very much in the minority, as they are in the nation's largest and heavily Latino (and lots of Korean, Filipino, and Vietnamese congregants too) Archdiocese. I've been to FSSP masses at the East L.A. Spanish-speaking chapel when I've been the only "non-BIPoC" for sure, and the follow-along's are en Espanol, with sermons split between that and English, although I'd estimate my fellow worshipers are all native speakers of the former. Another LA Arch. parish-sponsored TLM has been in the Latino area of Wilmington. In neighboring Diocese of Orange (Co.), where the Norbertines come up from their Abbey to assist at quite a few of that diocese's parishes (more than in L.A.) for Sunday TLM's, some of its very large Vietnamese community likely attend but I can't attest firsthand.

I didn't write that.  I think you made a mistake with your editing.  Is this what you wrote?
(10-28-2021, 01:16 AM)jack89 Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 05:45 PM)Fionnchu Wrote:
Come to L.A. at either FSSP St Vitus Parish (etc.)

I didn't write that.  I think you made a mistake with your editing.  Is this what you wrote?
Sorry--the boxes within boxes remained even after I deleted your original text...my mistake.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)