Examples of penitential acts to do every day?
(10-18-2021, 07:41 PM)choosetowitness Wrote: Truthfully, go read Imitation of Christ. It's here on FishEaters in pdf form (I think). It's offers amazing ideas, suggestions and tips to increase your holiness.
So true. It's one of my favorite books. I guess I haven't cracked it open recently enough for this to have occurred to me. Thank you!
I like all of these suggestions! I tend to be drawn towards physical chastisement (cold shower, spicy food, etc.) but I think stuff like offering up chores I don't like would be more fruitful for me.

Not sure how sound this is, but I also try to avoid 'choosing my cross' by doing unplanned penance. So I try to do things like not scratch my skin when it itches or pray for those who drive past my house with obnoxiously loud vehicles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rq146's post:
  • or3mus
No seriously though a lot of the ideas here (lukewarm showers, doing chores without procrastinating) are great.

Some other ideas:

Not reacting when people annoy you
If you're having a conversation and have a brilliant idea force yourself to wait before spewing it out
Sleep without a pillow
Put a pebble in your shoe (I don't like this one, I feel like it could cause some pretty permanent damage
I would say take cold showers but I enjoy them so much it isnt penance for me. Its horrible the first few seconds but after that its blissful.
(10-19-2021, 08:08 AM)xsantiagox Wrote: I would say take cold showers but I enjoy them so much it isnt penance for me. Its horrible the first few seconds but after that its blissful.

Teach me your ways! Cold showers make me want to die inside. 

Lots of great suggestions here. If I may add a few: 

-Limit screen time, or go a whole day without checking your email, phone, social media, etc. 
-If you drink coffee or tea, go without cream or sugar
-Each hour, offer up your work/suffering for someone who needs it. It could be for someone you know, or for something like a child who is about to be aborted or someone who is considering ending their life. 
-Go out of your way to send someone a letter or a text or an email to brighten their day (this is assuming you aren't abstaining from using electronics, haha)
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.