Logorrhea
(11-01-2021, 11:51 AM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 11:40 AM)J Michael Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 12:32 AM)TruthWhichIsChrist Wrote: I felt that CB was just kidding.
There certainly was no indication of that.

I used to try and give people the benefit of the doubt but I've found that, more often than not, folks aren't joking.  Humor seems to have died these days.  Perhaps Claire will, uh, clarify what she meant.

EDIT: For once, the edit button showed!
It'd be really useful to have access to emojis (or is it emoticons?) within a post.  That would help disambiguate things and obviate the need for clarification that is, at least in this thread, lacking so far.  Interesting that Clare has chosen not to respond to any comments here.  Maybe she's just being "succinct"...to a fault :-).
"I'm an old man now and have had a great many problems.  Most of them never happened."~ Mark Twain

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)
No, I was not joking.  I meant what I wrote, but I did write it with a sense of fun.

There are a handful of people here who author interminable posts -- what Jack89 aptly called a wall of text.  And they seem to do it almost every time they post.

I'm not talking about people who share about their lives or need to talk.  These long posts rather are usually about some issue or other.  I don't know how these people can write so damn much.

And of course I can choose not to read them.  That's what I said I do.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
(11-01-2021, 12:08 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I’ll give Clare this much: I at least learned a new word. I thought the title was some play on the word diarrhea.
Nope..it's a real "logo".  The suffix "rhea" or "rrhea" means "profuse flow".  She could have just as easily (and probably more accurately) used "verbosity" or "loquaciousness", or even just "wordy" but the "rhea" makes it a little more click-worthy.  "Logorrhea" has a fairly specific meaning in psychology, not necessarily applicable to the point I think Clare was trying to make.  

Was that succint enough?  Or, should I haverunallthewordstogethertomakeitalittleshorterandsavespace? :-)
"I'm an old man now and have had a great many problems.  Most of them never happened."~ Mark Twain

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)
[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • SacraCor714
(11-01-2021, 12:15 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: No, I was not joking.  I meant what I wrote, but I did write it with a sense of fun.

There are a handful of people here who author interminable posts -- what Jack89 aptly called a wall of text.  And they seem to do it almost every time they post.

I'm not talking about people who share about their lives or need to talk.  These long posts rather are usually about some issue or other.  I don't know how these people can write so damn much.

And of course I can choose not to read them.  That's what I said I do.
Yet, in this very post quoted, you’ve said so much, yet so little.
You could learn to be a bit more concise as well.
[-] The following 3 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • J Michael, jovan66102, SacraCor714
(10-31-2021, 04:07 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Why do some people here write so much?  Their posts are so long that I do not even read them.  Please be succinct!

This is difficult for some people.
(11-01-2021, 12:08 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I’ll give Clare this much: I at least learned a new word. I thought the title was some play on the word diarrhea.

Thankfully, she didn't choose logoatulence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • TruthWhichIsChrist
Another word for this problem is prolixity.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
Guilty of this sometimes, LOL. You know... my grade school teachers used to complain that my writing was like a cow meandering through a field... I think I like the term "logorrhea" much better.

In my defense, I don't get much conversation with adults with three small kids at home. My thoughts tend to all fly out of my head onto the internet whenever I find the time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catherine's post:
  • jovan66102
(10-31-2021, 04:07 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Why do some people here write so much?  Their posts are so long that I do not even read them.  Please be succinct!

[Image: 5st51h.jpg]

(said with a sense of fun) :-)
[-] The following 3 users Like oldrover's post:
  • J Michael, jovan66102, SeekerofChrist