Consecration to St. Joseph
(11-13-2021, 07:19 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I'm going to make my consecration on December 26th, the Feast of the Holy Family.

Wonderful!
I have been preparing for my consecration to St. Joseph since November 24th by reading from Fr. Calloway's book.  I am learning a lot.  For instance, that St. Joseph represents God the Father in the earthly trinity of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.  That we can call St. Joseph "lord."  And that we owe St. Joseph "protodulia," the greatest reverence of any saint, except for the Virgin Mary.

For many years I resisted the claim that St. Joseph is the greatest saint after Our Lady.  I thought that place was given to St. John the Baptist.  I even posted about that here.  This book has disabused me of that position.  The teaching that St. Joseph is the greatest is rooted in the writings of saints, blessed so and popes.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clare Brigid's post:
  • NoliTardare
There is something asserted repeatedly in this book that I just don't believe.

Fr. Calloway says that when St. Joseph learned that Our Lady was pregnant, he decided to leave her out of great reverence for the mystery of the Incarnation and out of feelings of unworthiness.  He denies that St. Joseph suspected Our Lady of fornication and that he wanted to divorce her for this reason.

To me, this represents an excess of piety that really puts me off.  I think it is clear that St. Joseph suspected Our Lady.  This is why the angel has to tell him in a dream that she has conceived by the Hoky Spirit.  There would be no need to tell him this if, as Fr. Calloway asserts, he already believed in the virginal conception.

Fr. Calloway cites some saints in support of what he calls "the reverence theory," but I still don't believe it.

I'm going to continue with the book despite my strong disagreement.  As they say in 12-step groups, "take what you like and leave the rest."
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
Holy, not hoky.  Ugh.