Sometimes I feel not worthy to say the name "Jesus Christ"
Hi all,

This is kind of a true story and I'm not sure how to really grasp it. Outside of my prayers, in regular speech(and online talk), I feel unworthy/strange saying the name "Jesus". I often defer to "Our Lord", because there's a part of me that honestly feels I shouldn't be referring to him by his name. Is this something others feel? It's kind of the same with Our Lady - again, I'd rather use that title than say the Virgin Mary, etc. 

Where am I going wrong with this? Am I?
[-] The following 2 users Like choosetowitness's post:
  • Blind Horus, NoliTardare
No one is worthy. But with the grace of God we can and we should.
[-] The following 1 user Likes benedicite's post:
  • oldrover
Yeah I get this a bit too. It started when I learned that one must bow his head at each mention of the name "Jesu" or "Jesu Christe" in the traditional liturgy. In conversation I'll say "Christ" instead, and I'll say the "Blessed Virgin Mary" to refer to Mary.

Personally I think this is just a healthy reverence for the names of God the Son and His Mother, like in Islam when they say "praise be unto him" after naming a revered prophet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes neanderthal-slayer's post:
  • benedicite
If you were married, would you not say the name of your wife, who you love?

If you had children, you would not say their name, who you love?

Of course not. You'd say their name, because of love.

You love Jesus Christ, right? Then, you can say his name in love.
--BobCatholic 
[-] The following 3 users Like BobCatholic's post:
  • benedicite, J Michael, oldrover
Jesus wants us to use His name often.  This is why we have the Jesus Prayer.  Saying the name of Jesus is powerful.  You should read The Way of a Pilgrim.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 2 users Like Clare Brigid's post:
  • benedicite, J Michael
(11-25-2021, 03:47 AM)choosetowitness Wrote: Hi all,

This is kind of a true story and I'm not sure how to really grasp it. Outside of my prayers, in regular speech(and online talk), I feel unworthy/strange saying the name "Jesus". I often defer to "Our Lord", because there's a part of me that honestly feels I shouldn't be referring to him by his name. Is this something others feel? It's kind of the same with Our Lady - again, I'd rather use that title than say the Virgin Mary, etc. 

I felt like I was being restrain on saying His name too, so the other day when my friend was over with his usual spiel of this guy is doing that and that guy is doing this I said I guess they never heard of Jesus. He stopped, looked at me, nearly made a wise crack but didn't. Made me realise just how authoritative His name is especially when used in a timely manner.

Try it
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blind Horus's post:
  • J Michael
(11-25-2021, 03:47 AM)choosetowitness Wrote: Hi all,

Jesus has been exiled from our society. Sometime I feel weird saying the name of Jesus outside of Church because I don't know what kind of creed the person I've got in front of me holds. Besides, some companies require employees not to bring inside the workplace any religious symbols therefore you can't wear crosses or even tiny brooches the shape of a Cross on the jacket's lapel to recognize each other or keep a Cross on the writing desk. Even in factories (where obviously employees can't wear crosses or little necklaces if they use the lathe because it's dangerous) there used to be a cross pinned on the wall somewhere. In countries/communities where the majority of people is catholic the Bishop used to visit and bless the workers once per year in the factories. Now this doesn't happen because godlessness is seen as a "value". Leo XIII spoke of the importance of bringing Christ into workplaces in his magisterium.
In this situation of extreme laicism (which is becoming a religion in its own right) we can't use Jesus's name freely. It's a form of persecution IMHO. 
However, in theory we are all required, as Catholics, to use Jesus's name as much as we can, at least among us.
One powerful Christian greeting is :" Laudetur Jesus Christus"- "Praise be to Jesus Christ", to which one answers "Amen" or "Semper laudetur"- "May he always be praised". Sistus V in his bull "redituri" encouraged this salutation, declaring fifty days of indulgence are granted to each of the two Christians that greet each other in this fashion in any language they wish. Moreover, those who stick to this custom for all their life are granted a plenary indulgence in the instant of their death if they say (or think, if they can't speak) "Jesus" with their last breath.
I don't know any person that uses this greeting. In fact, a lot of priests don't and it's a disgrace because they should lead with their example.
Ores, casta legas, jejunes otia vites si servare velis corpora casta Deo.